Dropper post choice

June 4, 2014, 6:34 a.m.

I currently own a Thomson and it is in for warranty work now, an issue with the seals that they have a running fix on so new posts should not have it. Will have a full review on my site after I test out the replacement post.

One thing I will say about the Thomson is the quality is just so amazing, smooth action and I never had to worry about the saddle moving or the post breaking…just an amazing product.

My KS experience was shitty, the last time I had it serviced it came back from L2P and still did not work right…so I sold it and the guy I sold it to loves it…lol.

I think my weight and hack riding style is a huge factor in why I eat up dropper posts like they are going out of style, I also used to bend cromo saddle rails a bunch too.

I have yet to ride a X-Fusion (I want to try the 6" dropper they have), RS or any of the other big names…would love to be able to put them through the paces.

WHAT!!! The vaunted, much heralded and over hyped Thomson post shit the bed? Unpossible. And after such a glowing honeymoon period… ;-)

I have a X-Fusion internal dropper waiting for a new frame to arrive. Hope to have built in the next week or so. I will post up when it happens.

June 4, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

One thing I will say about the Thomson is the quality is just so amazing, smooth action and I never had to worry about the saddle moving or the post breaking…just an amazing product.

So if the quality is so amazing, why is it in for warranty?

June 4, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

confirmed with Thompson, the 27.2 version will be shipping June 20.

June 4, 2014, 11:49 a.m.

Because it is so amazing! Derp.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 4, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

If you could read you would see it was an issue with the seals. The overall quality of the post is better than any other post I have seen, but having a 260+ pound dude is going to push these things beyond what most normal riders will put their posts through.

When you have been riding as long as me and broken as much shit as me you learn to be a little more realistic about things. I can see past an issue with the seals (that has been resolved) that does not lower it's overall quality.

The true test is in the long term durability and I have not been on the post long enough yet to tell you that about that. Only time will tell if the Thomson will come out on top or not.

June 4, 2014, 4:21 p.m.

The overall quality of the post is better than any other post I have seen

I have yet to ride a X-Fusion (I want to try the 6" dropper they have), RS or any of the other big names…

whoa, that's some small sample size theatre. it's almost as if the real answer to

is

I currently own a Thomson

you should listen to this guy

The true test is in the long term durability

:devil:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 4, 2014, 4:37 p.m.

You're an idiot. Let me spell this out for you.

I have only owned and have experience with KS and Thomson dropper posts.

I have had the chance to play with, fondle and check out most if not all of the other major dropper posts on the market today. I have not ridden them so I don't talk about their long term durability. The Thomson has the highest quality feel of them all.

Go back to your troll cave boom, you are not very good at it.

June 4, 2014, 4:42 p.m.

Go back to your troll cave boom, you are not very good at it.

really? i was kinda proud of how that came together…

no harm meant guy, lighten up. i even put a little devil smiley in there and quoted you (back to yourself) as the voice of reason!

You're an idiot.

:hurt:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 4, 2014, 4:51 p.m.

really? i was kinda proud of how that came together…

no harm meant guy, lighten up. i even put a little devil smiley in there and quoted you (back to yourself) as the voice of reason!

:hurt:

Been off the bike for a while with an injury…so I may be a bit more bitchy than usual…lol. Not mad, just get tired of people being stupid on forums and I took it out on you…sorry man.

June 4, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

^^^^I love a happy ending. So has anyone tried one of the xfusion internal cable actuated seat posts. Seems like a dark,wet,shitty place for a cable actuated dropper post.

June 4, 2014, 9:35 p.m.

If you could read you would see it was an issue with the seals. The overall quality of the post is better than any other post I have seen, but having a 260+ pound dude is going to push these things beyond what most normal riders will put their posts through.

When you have been riding as long as me and broken as much shit as me you learn to be a little more realistic about things. I can see past an issue with the seals (that has been resolved) that does not lower it's overall quality.

The true test is in the long term durability and I have not been on the post long enough yet to tell you that about that. Only time will tell if the Thomson will come out on top or not.

I get what you said, but the wording wasn't the best. I have handled the Thomson, and apart from still having the annoying cable loop, the machining and finish is absolutely top notch quality, but if the seals are an issue and the post is slipping, then it fails at it's intended purpose, which would detract from the quality of the unit.
I'm fortunate, I don't weigh much, and don't break much stuff at all, but I do choose my parts somewhat carefully, and more and more, I am finding that hype and image is trumping quality and function, and it gets really annoying.

June 4, 2014, 9:45 p.m.

^^^^I love a happy ending. So has anyone tried one of the xfusion internal cable actuated seat posts. Seems like a dark,wet,shitty place for a cable actuated dropper post.

Stay tuned. Building up a new frame next week hopefully and I have one of these waiting in my parts bin.

June 5, 2014, 11:02 a.m.

Been off the bike for a while with an injury…so I may be a bit more bitchy than usual…lol. Not mad, just get tired of people being stupid on forums and I took it out on you…sorry man.

Maybe you're 260+ due to menstrual bloating or something.
:fu:

:r:
Sorry. I love you bros.

Wrong. Always.

July 3, 2014, 10:16 a.m.

So I have an older xfusion hi lo and, when the weather is muddy or dusty, it seems to become very difficult to use. You have to push super hard on the lever to activate and you have to bounce hard on the saddle to make it drop. I think I need to go to something higher end. But are all cable activated posts prone to this? I want something I can put on and not have to take apart and clean once a month or more.

Is the Reverb the king? Or the KS? I hear good things about the KS but isn't that cable actuated like my shitty Hilo?

Wrong. Always.

July 3, 2014, 10:22 a.m.

I've had a KS Lev for over a year. Maybe 150 rides on it and I haven't changed the cable. A few things I've learned: the way the cable attaches at the post end is tricky to get just right and the overall system is sensitive to housing length. I've had two minor cable adjustments since I've had it (once at Obsession and the other time by Fraser when he worked at Corsa) but I've never had a major rebuild. I've never even considered the possibility that cable actuation was a bad thing. I like that the lever is super minimal and replaces a lock-on collar. It's been really good.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.