Dropper post choice

Jan. 29, 2015, 6:03 a.m.

From Core Bike in the UK: (sorry for BIG picture)

Jan. 29, 2015, 6:20 a.m.

Another question I have - is a remote really necessary? Reaching for the lever should not be more difficult than scratching when it's itching?!

It's inconceivable to me to ride without a remote. Usually when I want to adjust my post when I'm about to drop into something steep and rough or the trail is about to abruptly swing steeply uphill, neither of which is a good time to take my hand off the bar.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 31, 2015, 7:24 a.m.

Just ordered a Reverb Stealth for my Rune. First dropper post, cant wait to have one.

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:48 a.m.

It's inconceivable to me to ride without a remote. Usually when I want to adjust my post when I'm about to drop into something steep and rough or the trail is about to abruptly swing steeply uphill, neither of which is a good time to take my hand off the bar.

Am still thinking about which model to get - but you are right, why should anyone right in their mind should take his hands off while pedalling undulating terrain, or while facing something challenging.

The Reverb is fully hydraulic, the KS Supernatural cable-actuated - both have the issue of moving bits and pieces. And I do not want to drill a hole into my frame. And the LEV is beyond my reach, mainly because of common sense.

Any more info on the Marzocchi one?

I found another dropper post from Germany, on mtb-news.de - but it seems as if they are out of business. Website says that new items should be ready by December, no update I can see….and 369 Euros for a dropper post that sports only a few positions….hmmm.

I am often wondering why reliability issues are still an issue in the bike industry. We are no longer in the 90s, no?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 2, 2015, 9:19 a.m.

I think Mic simply because it's a bike part and needs to be reasonably light weight. I'll bet a super reliable dropper could be made but the weight required would be too much.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 2, 2015, 11:36 a.m.

a super reliable dropper exists and its called the gravity dropper

fixed that for you. if durability and ease of serviceability are priorities, the gravity dropper is the clear winner

i tried out biggles (rip) hack mod of using a fox dos remote for his gd. remote feels nice, and the action is as light as a fart

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 2, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

I'm currently looking at the KS Lev with the external cable and 150mm travel. I like that the remote fits an odi grip or a shimano shifter. Im sure my first one will blow up and Ill have to send it away but the turnaround wasnt too bad with my last one.

Feb. 2, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

biggles (rip)

wertdaferk?

I will likely go Gravity Dropper as my next post as well. I have the XFusion one but it's a tad finicky and there's nothing more terrifying than being about to drop into something and your seatpost not going down as you expected it to.

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 2, 2015, 12:12 p.m.

I just got a used reverb with my new-used frame and I'm dissapointed at how hard you need to push the remote to operate the post. I always thought the hydraulic button would need a feather-effort, but its on par with my xfusion hilo cable actuated lever.

Is my reverb remote bad? Or just the way it is?

Feb. 2, 2015, 12:34 p.m.

My X Fusion Strate worked perfect from April to December, with lots of riding and some racing. It developed a small oil leak at the end which meant it had a few millimeters of vertical play. It still worked, it just meant I had to raise my post an extra few mm's. Turns out it was a bad seal.

Feb. 2, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

ahem

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 2, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

I just got a used reverb with my new-used frame and I'm dissapointed at how hard you need to push the remote to operate the post. I always thought the hydraulic button would need a feather-effort, but its on par with my xfusion hilo cable actuated lever.

It shouldn't take much finger pressure to actuate the Reverb remote… maybe a bleed is in order, or….

Feb. 2, 2015, 1:36 p.m.

Interesting. My reverb remote requires a light push.

Feb. 2, 2015, 4:22 p.m.

Again, just saying. My Gravity Dropper has been flawless for 4 years, with nary a hiccup. Needed 1 rebuild, which was a $10.00 kit and took 10 minutes.

The aesthetics of the lever are not great, but I know of some people (DrewM) who had used another companies lever. I'm in the process of modding an old fork lockout lever to try something different.

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

My KS Lev is still going strong after 1.5 years. Not a single issue to date.

I like the stock remote, and the fact that it nests into my ODI grip.