Dropper post choice

July 3, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

I've had a KS Lev for over a year. Maybe 150 rides on it and I haven't changed the cable. A few things I've learned: the way the cable attaches at the post end is tricky to get just right and the overall system is sensitive to housing length. I've had two minor cable adjustments since I've had it (once at Obsession and the other time by Fraser when he worked at Corsa) but I've never had a major rebuild. I've never even considered the possibility that cable actuation was a bad thing. I like that the lever is super minimal and replaces a lock-on collar. It's been really good.

Good to know. I just think that with cables, grit and muck get in. But it's not hard for me to remove the cable, lube it up and put it through the housing again I guess. Or to put stanchion lube on the post. But I'd rather not have to do it on a regular basis. I think I might put the under the seat lever back on the hilo and use it that way until I upgrade to a better remote post.
:(

Wrong. Always.

July 3, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

Other than those two minor adjustments (which were to do with how the cable end attaches at the post) I have done zero maintenance on the cable or the post itself.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 3, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

Other than those two minor adjustments (which were to do with how the cable end attaches at the post) I have done zero maintenance on the cable or the post itself.

Winner winner chicken dinner.
:heart:

Wrong. Always.

July 3, 2014, 1:17 p.m.

finally Thomson 27.2 droppers in stock at CRC $395.00 time to spend some cash

July 3, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

has Thompson come out with their 'stealth' or internally routed option yet? i've had a Lev for a bit more than a yr now and i personally couldn't see going back to the cable mount at the seat. the Lev is the bomb. i've done nothing, no adjustments, nada. thing rocks. up and down posts have come of age methinks in terms of function and reliability.

July 7, 2014, 11:57 a.m.

about to try out the new hilo SLS, thought about the thomson stealth, but the hilo is 150mm vs 125mm.
the Thomson has just come out for dealers in europe.

already have a reverb, no problems with that one.

http://revanchebikeco.wordpress.com/

July 7, 2014, 6:45 p.m.

Thomson is called the COVERT… not the Stealth!

July 7, 2014, 7 p.m.

I have a Rockshox Reverb going on 2 years without a hiccup (knock on wood)

My wife's KS Lev is under a year with much less use and looks to be needing service already. Not impressed.

July 7, 2014, 7:25 p.m.

about to try out the new hilo SLS, thought about the thomson stealth, but the hilo is 150mm vs 125mm.
the Thomson has just come out for dealers in europe.

already have a reverb, no problems with that one.

I have the Hilo Strate, the internal routing model. No complaints after 3 months use, works perfectly. I went with the 125mm version because I only ever drop my post by a couple of inches anyway.

July 7, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

I have the Hilo Strate, the internal routing model. No complaints after 3 months use, works perfectly. I went with the 125mm version because I only ever drop my post by a couple of inches anyway.

HA, my Hilo Strate lasted 4 rides!!! I had to send it back to RCS for warranty work. Maybe I got a lemon.. My previous KS Lev went in for warranty 2x in about a dozen rides. Still a lot to be said with QC in the dropper post market.

July 7, 2014, 9:38 p.m.

HA, my Hilo Strate lasted 4 rides!!! I had to send it back to RCS for warranty work. Maybe I got a lemon.. My previous KS Lev went in for warranty 2x in about a dozen rides. Still a lot to be said with QC in the dropper post market.

where does one send a KS for service?

July 7, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

where does one send a KS for service?

I believe my lbs sent it to Norco (LTP)…. turnaround wasn't too bad, but still a PITA.

July 8, 2014, 7:30 a.m.

This is my first dropper, so I have nothing to compare it to. But yeah, reliability of these droppers can be a little suspect. I don't reeeeally need one where I live, so if it shits the bed I can get by without it. On the coast though, a dropper is so nice to have.

July 8, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

Same here. Only one tension adjustment and it's been butter for over a year.

July 9, 2014, 12:04 a.m.

They all have issues and I have talked to riders who have had great experiences and horrible experiences with just about every post out there. I think if you are a larger guy like myself you will have more issues…I have not found a post that has been flawless yet…but I have not tried them all yet. :)

They will change the way you ride, but be prepared to send it back in for work, they are not near being close to the reliability of the rest of our bikes yet and when you consider how much they cost you really have to figure out if it is worth it for you.