Dreaming of an aggressive 29er for the North Shore and PNW

Jan. 25, 2017, 10:15 p.m.

I saw the catalog which says that the ESTA gets slacker as the sizes go up, which I found bit perplexing. But Norco is also the only company which varies chainstay length by size so maybe that's got something to do with it. I'm an XL rider and I like where 74' puts me relative to the BB for climbing. Not sure I'd want it any slacker regardless of chainstay length. Does someone in the loop know more about their reasoning for this?

Looks to me that the just keep the seat tube profile exactly the same for all sizes and just extend it for the larger sizes. Since the esta is generally measured from the top-centre of the head tube this makes sense.

To me this is just lazy design because I don't know a single tall person that likes a slack sta. Totally bags out the back end on steep climbs having this much mass so far over the rear of the bike.

Jan. 25, 2017, 11:56 p.m.

Looks to me that the just keep the seat tube profile exactly the same for all sizes and just extend it for the larger sizes. Since the esta is generally measured from the top-centre of the head tube this makes sense.

To me this is just lazy design because I don't know a single tall person that likes a slack sta. Totally bags out the back end on steep climbs having this much mass so far over the rear of the bike.

Ding ding ding!!!

Someone please listen to this man.
Slack sta sucks for us big folk!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 26, 2017, 12:01 a.m.

By my understanding, that's exactly what Gravity Tune fixes. The rear of the bike lengthens on larger sizes so that the rider's centre of mass remains centered.

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:15 a.m.

By my understanding, that's exactly what Gravity Tune fixes. The rear of the bike lengthens on larger sizes so that the rider's centre of mass remains centered.

But the XL rider's position relative to the BB slides back with that slacker ESTA even if they remain centered overall. Was this a problem that needed solving?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:39 a.m.

Isn't it actually the opposite? On larger sizes, to achieve the longer chainstay the BB is moved forward. This results in the effective STA being slacker since the BB is now further forward relative to the seat?

I dunno. It's been a while since I looked at bike geometry tbh.

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:39 a.m.

The ESTA is 74.5' for the M and 73.7' for the XL. That's almost a full degree slacker in XL which translates to being 1-2cm further back at full extension. That's a lot.]

Yeah its alot. offset reverb run backwards? It would look so sick hahaha.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:44 a.m.

Yeah its alot. offset reverb run backwards? It would look so sick hahaha.

Function over fashion brah. The anti-Enduro.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 26, 2017, 11:08 a.m.

hell yeah.

Jan. 26, 2017, 11:23 a.m.

Correct! You're in virtually the same position with each size relative to your size… which is why STA change. Talk with anyone that owns a newer Norco with the gravity tune and they'll usually tell you it's the best fitting bike they've ever owned straight out of the box.

I'm definitely going to try the 650b and 29er Sight when I can.

And for people wanting something more aggressive, wait for the Range

Jan. 26, 2017, 11:44 a.m.

hell yeah.

What could go wrong!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 26, 2017, 4:03 p.m.

Interested in the Sight but the pricing is painful compared to the Trance, Troy or Jeffsy.

Jan. 26, 2017, 6:29 p.m.

Correct! You're in virtually the same position with each size relative to your size… which is why STA change. Talk with anyone that owns a newer Norco with the gravity tune and they'll usually tell you it's the best fitting bike they've ever owned straight out of the box.

I'm definitely going to try the 650b and 29er Sight when I can.

And for people wanting something more aggressive, wait for the Range

Wrong, Gravity Tune is based on a standing position not sitting. It is for going down not going up.

Making a minutely longer rear centre (5mm from L to XL) does not balance out a grossly slack STA.

Jan. 26, 2017, 8:25 p.m.

For anyone who's currently on an aggressive 29er, did you come from a 27.5? Do you prefer the 29er? Currently on a 26 still but wondering whether to go to a 29er aggressive trail or a 27.5 trail bike. Mostly riding the shore.

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:32 p.m.

Wrong, Gravity Tune is based on a standing position not sitting. It is for going down not going up.

Making a minutely longer rear centre (5mm from L to XL) does not balance out a grossly slack STA.

Wow… thanks Donald Trump… when has 73.7 been considered "grossly slack "? (Rhetorical question)

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:38 p.m.

For anyone who's currently on an aggressive 29er, did you come from a 27.5? Do you prefer the 29er? Currently on a 26 still but wondering whether to go to a 29er aggressive trail or a 27.5 trail bike. Mostly riding the shore.

I've been on my YT Jeffsy since November. Came off a 2013 Rocky Slayer. I'm loving the wagon wheels and I'm usually riding Seymour and Fromme. I'm going to put a 150mm air shaft with the Luftkappe into my Pike in the near future, to give me some more travel.

I'd suggest definitely trying a long travel 29er of you have a chance.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion