Dreaming of an aggressive 29er for the North Shore and PNW

Nov. 25, 2016, 11:52 p.m.

Im having the most difficult time figuring out sizing based on Reach. Upsizing the frame but running the shortest stem possible puts "Total Reach" (for lack of a better word) within a mm on the smaller size with the stock stem length.

And then there's the issue of bikes pushing horsecock length front ends…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 26, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Reach is more of a relationship between the seat angle and BB position along with the headtube than it is a TT measurement.

My old bike in a medium has a massive 449mm reach but the TT was relatively short. The seat tube angle was really steep at 76 degrees and the BB was really close to the tire. So the reach measurement was quite long yet it felt a little cramped.

I believe when looking at the geo of a bike, you have to take in these numbers and how they relate to each other to get how long the bike will feel: Reach, TT length, seat angle, and wheelbase.

For example, a bike like the Whyte G-160 hits on all marks if you are looking for a longer than normal feeling bike. http://www.whyte.bike/g160w

Nov. 26, 2016, 4:43 p.m.

My slash frame finally showed up on thursday. Got out for a short ride in the rain today. Pretty happy with it so far. Feels a lot like my nomad did, but is a bit higher (running on the low setting) and obviously the roll over and grip is better.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Nov. 26, 2016, 5:21 p.m.

Dear god that is beautiful.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 26, 2016, 5:36 p.m.

great photo of the slash. quite the build on that baby. nobl hubs on that wheelset? whisper quiet? super aggro bike, looks the tits and then some, serious tires. sweet.

Nov. 26, 2016, 7:35 p.m.

Sweet bike!!

What's the total length on that seatpost? :damn:

I'd be interested to hear how it pedals compared to a nomad. Actually I would love to hear a full review once you've had more of a chance to ride it.

Nov. 26, 2016, 7:41 p.m.

It's a 9point8 175mm post. Really nice product. Want one for my other bikes now. I wasnt sure if I'd be able to run it with this frame (bent seat tube) but it worked out with an inch or two to spare. First time I've been able to run a bike with out a quick release!

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Nov. 26, 2016, 11:15 p.m.

Reach is more of a relationship between the seat angle and BB position along with the headtube than it is a TT measurement.

My old bike in a medium has a massive 449mm reach but the TT was relatively short. The seat tube angle was really steep at 76 degrees and the BB was really close to the tire. So the reach measurement was quite long yet it felt a little cramped.

I believe when looking at the geo of a bike, you have to take in these numbers and how they relate to each other to get how long the bike will feel: Reach, TT length, seat angle, and wheelbase.

For example, a bike like the Whyte G-160 hits on all marks if you are looking for a longer than normal feeling bike. http://www.whyte.bike/g160w

I've read that one measurement that matters is BB centre to handlebar centre.

Ed. The reach of the small Whyte is the same as the Large SC HighTower which felt way too long. #alltheconfused

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 27, 2016, 7:53 a.m.

I've read that one measurement that matters is BB centre to handlebar centre.

Ed. The reach of the small Whyte is the same as the Large SC HighTower which felt way too long. #alltheconfused

And my Xprezo had a longer reach than an xl Marin! Although Marins are so short they could be mistaken for unicycles.

Nov. 28, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

I think someone out there used to be sponsored by Marin. A rather dimunitive but happy chap. #outthere.
:r:

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 28, 2016, 2:51 p.m.

http://nsmb.com/yeti-sb5-5-reviewed/

Nov. 28, 2016, 4:40 p.m.

Some bikes in the shortlist:
- Yeti SB5.5c
- YT Jeffsy (maybe over forked to 150 or 160 mm)
- Evil Wreckoning
- Spec Enduro

I've had my Jeffsy for two weeks now and it's feeling great on my usual Fromme and Seymour trails. Last bike was a Rocky Slayer, so there was a little trepidation when I moved from 170mm to 140mm, but any doubts have been banished.

It's playful on the fast stuff and agile in the slower tech.

I'm monster trucking the shore and I'm loving it!

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Nov. 28, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

NOBL represent! ;)

Nice bike!

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Nov. 28, 2016, 5:41 p.m.

3 questions about the Jeffsy. how did you get it here? how are those tires treating you? holding air ok? Nobl hub changing your life?

Nov. 28, 2016, 5:47 p.m.

3 questions about the Jeffsy. how did you get it here? how are those tires treating you? holding air ok? Nobl hub changing your life?

Ordered through website. It was shipped from their warehouse in Squamish.

I like the tires, they're working well in our current wet conditions. I use to ride Hans Dampf and Magic Mary The Contis feel good and are holding air just fine. I tried the Conti sealant for a change from my usual Stan's. There was a recent review on that other bike site.

NOBL hub had been awesome. Was on Hope before and I'm loving the silence!

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion