Dreaming of an aggressive 29er for the North Shore and PNW

Nov. 22, 2016, 1:19 p.m.

The whole 29" is only for larger riders is total BS. The only downside for shorter riders is stack height.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 22, 2016, 2:16 p.m.

^wouldn't rear wheel clearance on steeps become an issue for shorter riders? i'm 6'-0" and butt buzz the tire occasionally; might become more problematic as inseam decreases. just speculating; anyone of shorter stature with firsthand experience?

Nov. 22, 2016, 3:14 p.m.

Quietly starts kevlar chamois business.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 22, 2016, 3:51 p.m.

i'm very tall so can't speak to that directly. i know a lady who is around 5" and rides one of the few xs women 29ers by Spesh. looks quite odd. the gyro effect must make twisty terrain a bitch to ride for someone like this, at least that's my perception. the only downside i can find is when it get's really steep i just prefer smaller wheels. it feels like i lose some steerage with the bigger wheels and can be a bit more precise on gnarly steeps. (which i don't really ride much of to be honest). i'd love to try one of new 160 29ers on the Forbidden Plateau where i live to compare against my small wheeled steed. at least one local pro has gone over to long travel 29ers full time, but it's actually quite rare here.

Nov. 22, 2016, 5:01 p.m.

The whole 29" is only for larger riders is total BS. The only downside for shorter riders is stack height.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I think it depends on the intended use of the bike. At 6'6" a long travel 29er isn't unwieldy for me at all but it sure would be for someone who's 5'3". But for trail or XC bikes I say ride whatever you can get to fit right. It sure does look weird when you see an XS 29er where the rear wheel is at the same height as the saddle. That person would be better on smaller wheels.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 22, 2016, 5:19 p.m.

someone should tell TMo that she,s loves the 29" stuff and has been killing on it for years and she,s short

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 22, 2016, 9:47 p.m.

Hmmm not so sure about that. Tire to butt clearance is a big deal. I have a 35" inseam and still buzz occasionally. The rock roll on Bowsaw comes to mind.

Nov. 23, 2016, 7:07 a.m.

Hmmm not so sure about that. Tire to butt clearance is a big deal. I have a 35" inseam and still buzz occasionally. The rock roll on Bowsaw comes to mind.

Another reason a 29er front / 27.5 rear would be good.:deadhorse:

Nov. 23, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

I've been like 2 weeks on a Yeti SB 5.5 and I absolutely love it; I suppose I may still be in the new-bike-syndrome but it has really surprised me how nimble, trustful, flickable, fast up and down is…I haven't noticed anything odd doing turns ( I still have to test it in really tight turns but I suppose I'll have the same problems than with a 27.5)….I have also a Nomad 3 and I think the Yeti is more nimble than the Nomad…(I'm waiting for my X2 to arrive from the recall to make a test face to face with the Yeti) but so far, I am really pleased and surprised with it..and I am just 5"7 (1,74cm)

Nov. 24, 2016, 6:38 a.m.

I've been like 2 weeks on a Yeti SB 5.5 and I absolutely love it; I suppose I may still be in the new-bike-syndrome but it has really surprised me how nimble, trustful, flickable, fast up and down is…I haven't noticed anything odd doing turns ( I still have to test it in really tight turns but I suppose I'll have the same problems than with a 27.5)….I have also a Nomad 3 and I think the Yeti is more nimble than the Nomad…(I'm waiting for my X2 to arrive from the recall to make a test face to face with the Yeti) but so far, I am really pleased and surprised with it..and I am just 5"7 (1,74cm)

Those two bikes are probably in my top five or maybe top 3 potential next bikes so I would love to hear more once you've had time to ride the Yeti more. The things I would really, really like to know are:

- How is the Yeti compared to the Nomad on tight, steep North Shore style technical downhill? If you ride the North Shore, I'm talking things like the upper middle part of Ladies Only, the section of Severed D**k just after you cross GSM or Upper Oil Can.

- Do you miss the extra rear travel of the Nomad when riding the Yeti? Can the Yeti take big hits and hucks as well or do you find yourself bottoming out more?

- Is the Yeti much better at pedalling up hill? If so, do you notice this more on fire road climbs or technical single track?

My list could go on…. :eek:

Nov. 24, 2016, 7:59 a.m.

Rear tire clearance isn't an issue with modern long reach geo as nobody can get their weight that far back anyway ;)

I've only got a 32" inseam and I rarely buzz the rear tire. Guess I'm not packing much luggage…

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 24, 2016, 1:04 p.m.

Those two bikes are probably in my top five or maybe top 3 potential next bikes so I would love to hear more once you've had time to ride the Yeti more. The things I would really, really like to know are:

- How is the Yeti compared to the Nomad on tight, steep North Shore style technical downhill? If you ride the North Shore, I'm talking things like the upper middle part of Ladies Only, the section of Severed D**k just after you cross GSM or Upper Oil Can.

- Do you miss the extra rear travel of the Nomad when riding the Yeti? Can the Yeti take big hits and hucks as well or do you find yourself bottoming out more?

- Is the Yeti much better at pedalling up hill? If so, do you notice this more on fire road climbs or technical single track?

My list could go on…. :eek:

I live in Spain so no rides in the North Shore but the area where I live is next to the Pyrenees (Alpine terrain more or less) and next to the place where last year's EWS in Spain took place (Ainsa)… I've been now 2 years with the Nomad and it's the perfect bike for this terrain but I do feel it's too much bike sometimes….this is why I got the Yeti…I still have to ride the Yeti in steep, tight and more technical staff but I suspect it is more trail oriented than the Nomad…the rear suspension is more linear than the Nomad but I still have to play with the Float X adjustments…and the X2 on the Nomad3 is a better shock hands down, I'd like to try an X2 on the Yeti but I don't have the funds right now… The Yeti is really capable of taking big hits but in that aspect, the Nomad is better as the suspension is more progressive and more playful in the air….Going up both in technical and fire roads is better with the Yeti, the 29 wheels help, the higher bb helps (less crank strikes) the lighter tires help…(running Michelin 1050gr on the Nomad) and the Eagle X01 helps too! And I would be riding some enduro races next year with the Yeti as it's so capable!
I will post a review when I got my Nomad again (maybe next week I'll have the X2 again) but in the meantime, you can check this review which is really complete and useful and it covers both bikes in every aspect of the ride. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Enduro-Mountain-Bike

Nov. 24, 2016, 6:32 p.m.

live in Spain so no rides in the North Shore but the area where I live is next to the Pyrenees (Alpine terrain more or less) and next to the place where last year's EWS in Spain took place (Ainsa)… I've been now 2 years with the Nomad and it's the perfect bike for this terrain but I do feel it's too much bike sometimes….this is why I got the Yeti…I still have to ride the Yeti in steep, tight and more technical staff but I suspect it is more trail oriented than the Nomad…the rear suspension is more linear than the Nomad but I still have to play with the Float X adjustments…and the X2 on the Nomad3 is a better shock hands down, I'd like to try an X2 on the Yeti but I don't have the funds right now… The Yeti is really capable of taking big hits but in that aspect, the Nomad is better as the suspension is more progressive and more playful in the air….Going up both in technical and fire roads is better with the Yeti, the 29 wheels help, the higher bb helps (less crank strikes) the lighter tires help…(running Michelin 1050gr on the Nomad) and the Eagle X01 helps too! And I would be riding some enduro races next year with the Yeti as it's so capable!
I will post a review when I got my Nomad again (maybe next week I'll have the X2 again) but in the meantime, you can check this review which is really complete and useful and it covers both bikes in every aspect of the ride. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Enduro-Mountain-Bike

Thanks for all that. That was great information and I hadn't seen the review you linked to before either. Both such great bikes! I definitely need to give the Nomad a try as it really seems to suit my interests perfectly.

Nov. 25, 2016, 7:49 p.m.

I have a 35" inseam ….

Oh young man!! :O

Nov. 25, 2016, 10:25 p.m.

back to the subject of weight , following a thread on PB and two guys posted the weight of their Jeffsy carbons , one was 12 kg and the other was 11.8 or so , that, sub 27lbs !! both where mediums

#northsidetrailbuilders