Dreaming of an aggressive 29er for the North Shore and PNW

Nov. 21, 2016, 12:23 p.m.

a couple years back I used to run into PJ from Norco on the local hills and he was shredding a cross breed 29/27.5 combo , not sure what frame it was , may have been the Sight .

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted by this 29er front, 27.5 rear 'Frankenbike' idea. I even totally geeked out this weekend and started building a excel spreadsheet of medium frame geometries to try and get a better idea of which options would work best while still maintaining 160mm of 29er boost fork travel. High on my list is the Santa Cruz Nomad but I'll need to demo one to see how they pedal since there seems to be a wide range of opinions about this. Either the 29er or 650b Specialized Enduros would probably also work well in this arrangement but I'm not as keen on these as the rear suspension linkage design doesn't seem as dialed to me.

I demo'd a Transition Patrol Carbon this weekend and loved the rear suspension but I don't think this would be a great candidate for my Frankenbike unless I reduce fork travel to 140mm on the 29er fork and / or install a 2 degree headset cup in reverse to steepen the head angle with the longer axle to crown length. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try a Smuggler but I think that was still a long shot as a 29er bike option for me due to its short travel.

Nov. 21, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

I rode a 29'er for the first time with the Supressor at the Transition demo. Only had time for a quick Crinkum/Kirkford/Bobsled lap but I was pretty damn impressed all around. Climbing was obviously great, just did Roadside/Mtn Highway and set a PR but I was really blown away with the roll-over and how the thing carried speed. I also didn't find it at all unwieldy in the switchback turns on Crinkum/Kirkford. Rear end felt plush given the short travel, not harsh at all somehow.

I was on a medium which probably helped it feel more nimble. I usually ride larges (5'10 with long torso).

Got two laps on a large Scout carbon after which climbed almost as well and was more playful descending although it didn't feel as fast. Both bikes were just a dream to pedal around compared to my 36lbs Trek Scratch 180mm/170mm "trail bike".

Even though it was just a few laps I gotta say I feel like my eyes are more open now.

Nov. 21, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

a couple years back I used to run into PJ from Norco on the local hills and he was shredding a cross breed 29/27.5 combo , not sure what frame it was , may have been the Sight .

Pretty sure it was a Range.

Shed head!

Nov. 21, 2016, 11:07 p.m.

I rode a 29'er for the first time with the Supressor at the Transition demo. Only had time for a quick Crinkum/Kirkford/Bobsled lap but I was pretty damn impressed all around. Climbing was obviously great, just did Roadside/Mtn Highway and set a PR but I was really blown away with the roll-over and how the thing carried speed. I also didn't find it at all unwieldy in the switchback turns on Crinkum/Kirkford. Rear end felt plush given the short travel, not harsh at all somehow.

I was on a medium which probably helped it feel more nimble. I usually ride larges (5'10 with long torso).

Got two laps on a large Scout carbon after which climbed almost as well and was more playful descending although it didn't feel as fast. Both bikes were just a dream to pedal around compared to my 36lbs Trek Scratch 180mm/170mm "trail bike".

Even though it was just a few laps I gotta say I feel like my eyes are more open now.

The short travel 29ers (Smuggler, Process 111, etc) really play nice with longer forks. It may be a surprise to some, but I find the balance better on those bikes with a longer fork. The Process is dynamite with a 140 fork. The bonus with the Smuggler is the ability to use a piggyback shock. The Process has a goofy shock length.

Nov. 22, 2016, 5:10 a.m.

Built up my Riot over the weekend. I'm hoping to take it on its maiden voyage this week at some point. The raw is very very pretty in person.
-XL 2016 Canfield Riot frame
-Cane Creek Dbair CS
-Fox 36 float fit whatever it is
-Magura MT5 Brakes
-KS Integra post 150mm
-XT drivetrain with sram cassette
-Chromag seat and bar
-Race Face stem
-Oneup guide and chainring
-Novatech hubs and wide WTB rims.

Nov. 22, 2016, 6:58 a.m.

Nice deck.

Nov. 22, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

Nice deck.

Not mine :(

Nov. 22, 2016, 7:55 a.m.

Built up my Riot over the weekend. I'm hoping to take it on its maiden voyage this week at some point. The raw is very very pretty in person.
-XL 2016 Canfield Riot frame
-Cane Creek Dbair CS
-Fox 36 float fit whatever it is
-Magura MT5 Brakes
-KS Integra post 150mm
-XT drivetrain with sram cassette
-Chromag seat and bar
-Race Face stem
-Oneup guide and chainring
-Novatech hubs and wide WTB rims.

Sweet! I'd be interested to hear what you think of it compared to whatever you are coming from after you have a few rides in.

What travel are you running on your fork?

I'm trying to find a fox 36 29er boost fork as well but they are so pricey right now. I can't find any deals online. I haven't tried calling around locally but at the online prices, maybe local pricing is better. I just have to figure out how to get the 'bro discount' ;). Does anyone have any tips or hook ups on where to go? (Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it on the down low).

Nov. 22, 2016, 7:58 a.m.

Sweet! I'd be interested to hear what you think of it compared to whatever you are coming from after you have a few rides in.

What travel are you running on your fork?

I'm trying to find a fox 36 boost fork but they are so pricey right now. I can't find any deals online. I haven't tried calling around locally but at the online prices, maybe local pricing is better. I just have to figure out how to get the 'bro discount' ;)

I had the Canfield Balance before which is a 650b bike. I loved that thing but at 6'4", it was just too small for me even in an XL. Before THAT bike however I had a Kona Satori which is a 29er and loved that bike as well. I can say jumping on this bike and just looking down, the bigger wheels just look normal to me whereas the 650b wheels looked small.

Nov. 22, 2016, 8:08 a.m.

I had the Canfield Balance before which is a 650b bike. I loved that thing but at 6'4", it was just too small for me even in an XL. Before THAT bike however I had a Kona Satori which is a 29er and loved that bike as well. I can say jumping on this bike and just looking down, the bigger wheels just look normal to me whereas the 650b wheels looked small.

Yeah, 29er wheels to you must be like 27.5 wheels to me at 5'9" riding a medium! ;)

Nov. 22, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

Yeah, 29er wheels to you must be like 27.5 wheels to me at 5'9" riding a medium! ;)

Exactly. I've long said that 29ers are more about fitment.

Nov. 22, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

I assume your 36 is at 150 or 160mm travel so the STA is no longer 77 actual. Looks slack!

Nov. 22, 2016, 12:27 p.m.

Is 5'-11" tall enough to enjoy a 29er for the shore? Looking through this thread I'm rethinking getting a new 27.5.

My old bones are getting rattled by smaller wheels so maybe jump up to 29

Nov. 22, 2016, 12:38 p.m.

I assume your 36 is at 150 or 160mm travel so the STA is no longer 77 actual. Looks slack!

It's also on an uphill slope. It looks steeper when it's in my garage.

Nov. 22, 2016, 12:55 p.m.

Is 5'-11" tall enough to enjoy a 29er for the shore? Looking through this thread I'm rethinking getting a new 27.5.

My old bones are getting rattled by smaller wheels so maybe jump up to 29

I kmow people alot shorter than you that love their 29s.