double bead tires and geting them to seat properly (.243)

July 13, 2003, 1:01 p.m.

okay i jsut got a new pair of .243's and i cannot get the bead to seat properly. when i installed them thabout half of the bead on both sides seems to slip down to far and i cannot get it to sit properly here look at picture

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

July 13, 2003, 1:16 p.m.

I had the same problem. I figured out that what you have to do is pump up the tires to a decent PSI (30PSI or so) then deflate them back down to a very soft PSI so that you can easily move the tire around with your hand, but so that there is still a decent amount of air in them, then simply work the tire with your hands to put the bead on. it's hard to explain, but you hold the wheel with the side that doesn't have the bead on properly towards you, and then push the tires sidewall away from you and it should pop up and then the bead should sit properly…hopefully that made sense.

.243 Avengers :thepimp:
.243 Racing, Ridge Protective Gear

July 13, 2003, 1:25 p.m.

that is what i have been trying to do. i pumped it up to like 50 psi hoping it would pop out but it never. then i let the air out and tried to work it on still no luck. it seems as if the bead is a little small or something :???: i dunno it seated on my front 219 fine but on my trialpimp it is giving me trouble

July 13, 2003, 1:55 p.m.

it could be the rim seat is to tall….

i have heard of some rims not being freindly to double bead tires…

July 13, 2003, 2:07 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
**it could be the rim seat is to tall….

i have heard of some rims not being freindly to double bead tires… **

Yep, like Arrow Primewide and Mag 30's. But once it's on, it's on.

July 13, 2003, 2:08 p.m.

pump it up more. the expansion should cause the 2nd bead to come seat properly, then deflate. i had to get mine up to about 75psi on my trailpimp….hehe

July 13, 2003, 4:25 p.m.

Originally posted by UFO
pump it up more. the expansion should cause the 2nd bead to come seat properly, then deflate. i had to get mine up to about 75psi on my trailpimp….hehe

it should also cause a loud popping sound once its sitting on the rim nicely

dmr trailstar lt complete street bicycle - sold

July 13, 2003, 5:24 p.m.

While its deflated walk the bead out as well as possible and then over inflate it to make it seat.
On most rims it is easy, but some of the industry dudes making rims have taken their side walls out of the standard spec, making it harder to seat any tire, especially double bead tires.
I haven't had a chance to measure the atomiclab rims you are running, so I don't know if they are out of spec or not, but I have seen them with double beads on them.

FOX

www.243racing.com

July 13, 2003, 5:41 p.m.

Same experience here when trying to mount it onto my friend's Singlewide (non-rim brake model). I inflated to 60PSI and the second bead slowly started working out on its own. I'd suggest applying soapy water to the bead before installing to see if it helps it to come out.

July 13, 2003, 5:43 p.m.

what is this double beed? am I missing somthing? whats it compare to? how much are they?

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 13, 2003, 6:33 p.m.

Same problems I had with my Arrows. Leave the tire in the sun or run hot water over it. If that doesn't work, get some Nokians.

Kids!!….a moment of pleasure..a lifetime of pain.

July 13, 2003, 8:07 p.m.

word up to both Mikey and Fox

I got the .243's on pimps. They will fit, you do have to wrestle with them a bit but do as Mikey and Fox suggest and don't give up and eventually they'll be seated perfectly.

Stuff For Sale

July 13, 2003, 10:44 p.m.

What did I read in another forum post about using soapy water to help seat them or is that just to get them on?

July 14, 2003, 6:43 a.m.

its not getting the first bead to seat it is gettin the second bead to sit on the edge of the rim. its a pain in the arse. oh well, i will go to the gas station and use the air compresser there :D