Dorado or boxxer?

Feb. 27, 2011, 9:20 p.m.

I'm not a big fan of independent steering forks so I'd go with the Boxxer.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 27, 2011, 9:50 p.m.

Love my 40's!! Cant imagine riding anything else! Have had Shivers (coolest looking fork ever) Boxxer WC, 8's and a bunch of other lower end forks from early 2000"s. Certainly don't do a great deal of maintenance on mine!

Feb. 27, 2011, 9:51 p.m.

Love my 40's!! Cant imagine riding anything else! Have had Shivers (coolest looking fork ever) Boxxer WC, 8's and a bunch of other lower end forks from early 2000"s. Certainly don't do a great deal of maintenance on mine!

Agreed. 40's feel great, are reliable and not too heavy on maintenance.

nobody is this dumb.

Feb. 27, 2011, 10:08 p.m.

Exactly what beeeom said. My vote is in the 888 camp and I've had the chance to ride all 4 of the forks mentioned in this thread … except the CR1 Boxxer. On the trail the 888 is by far the most effective at adsorbing bumps, always feels fantastic, and from what I've seen the fork that requires the least maintenance.

I reviewed a Dorado for this site a few months ago and quite liked it. It's a very strong second place to the 888 in my books. If you're sold on an air fork I thought it was an overall better product than the Boxxer.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Feb. 27, 2011, 10:42 p.m.

you're probably not doing enough maintenance. :woot:

trick for getting forks with minimal bath oil to feel sweet: turn 'em upside down the night before your ride.

I will try the upside down trick. In my books it always feels great but I'm curious what that will do. I do take it roughtly yearly to James and he has always said it looks good inside.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 27, 2011, 11:49 p.m.

the last Marz I've had that legitimately felt great was the o5 66rc and the A2C was massive but man it felt great, tbe 07,08, and 09 all felt horrible (rc2x, rv, rc3) I've had 2 sets of 888's(rc and rv) and they where nothing to write home about and aesthetically do nothing for me. Other then the amount of work Shivers needed they where incredible, Everything I've ever seen make the Dorado seem like a more finicky version of the shiver. All the 40's ive seen run pretty smooth and they do not get nearly as much love as they should. The CR1 looks very impressive especially at that price.

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

Feb. 28, 2011, 2:42 a.m.

I heard a rumor that the Shiver may be making a comeback from a certain local-ish company employee.

If it's legit, my 40 is gettin the boot.

Feb. 28, 2011, 7:27 a.m.

the last Marz I've had that legitimately felt great was the o5 66rc and the A2C was massive but man it felt great, tbe 07,08, and 09 all felt horrible (rc2x, rv, rc3)

I recently got a 2010 55 RC3 Ti, and it feels amazing. Even my skeptic bike shop employee buddy is impressed with how it feels.

I'd even go as far as trading the BoXXer Team on my Glory for a 888 RC3 Ti based on the 55 feel alone.

Feb. 28, 2011, 7:46 a.m.

does any one remember how nice 99-02 Monster T's used to feel? they were the shit that started it all. I kinda miss em'

Feb. 28, 2011, 7:53 a.m.

I heard a rumor that the Shiver may be making a comeback from a certain local-ish company employee.

That'd be pretty rad. It needs to look bad-ass though, and not have stupid stickers with girls in bikinis.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 28, 2011, 8:18 a.m.

i like avalanche

Feb. 28, 2011, 9:16 a.m.

I'm heading to the bank right now to open a specific 'Shiver Savings' account just in case.

I picked up a Dorado for this season to fill the hole I've been trying to fill since I sold my Shivers. Boxxers and 888 have been nice, but an inverted air fork from Marz would bring me back to the M.

iforonewelcome.com

Feb. 28, 2011, 9:37 a.m.

does any one remember how nice 99-02 Monster T's used to feel? they were the shit that started it all. I kinda miss em'

plush, but unsophisticated damper (tended to wallow [HTML_REMOVED] bottom w/ a nice metal to metal clank). despite the higher maintenance [HTML_REMOVED] flex, i preferred my old tpc+ x-vert carbons.

are the new boxxers really that bad? i still love my 1st gen '06 wc's; great feeling, buttery fork. surprisingly low maintenance [HTML_REMOVED] dead reliable. the new chassis looks good on paper…

granted, what i find with some forks is that they suffer from poor initial assembly or setup, or perhaps a bad run of seals, and once (relatively easily) rectified, turn out to be great components (ie, no serious chassis / design flaws). seems to have been the case w/ my boxxer [HTML_REMOVED] totem anyways.

Feb. 28, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

I'm liking the looks of that Dorado. It's the full open cartridge in an oil bath that I like the best. Plus the inverted design keeps all the fluid where the slidy bits are. Unbeatable steering stiffness at the handlebar interface, although I found with my old Shiver that the front wheel can wander around just enough to not deflect too harshly.

March 1, 2011, 4:06 a.m.

I'm heading to the bank right now to open a specific 'Shiver Savings' account just in case.

I picked up a Dorado for this season to fill the hole I've been trying to fill since I sold my Shivers. Boxxers and 888 have been nice, but an inverted air fork from Marz would bring me back to the M.

why would you think marzocchi will go the air way on a possible future shiver when they recently got rid of all their air forks and replacing them with ti coils?