Does Carbon Handlebar make sense if....

Feb. 11, 2019, 7:48 p.m.

After 2 rides on the new bike with my first ever carbon bars I can't say I really noticed any sort of difference. Makes me think the weight savings isn't worth the extra $100 or so.

Feb. 11, 2019, 9:21 p.m.

I switched from a 35mm alloy bar to the same make/model carbon bar (Easton Haven). The alloy bar was stiff to the point of being unridable for me. My hands/wrists would not make it through a ride without getting numb and painful. The carbon bar seems to damp out the vibration without feeling noodly. No more wrist/hand discomfort at all. The carbon bar was clearly better than the Alloy version.

Dec. 1, 2019, 12:47 p.m.

Anyone running that new One Up bar/stem with all the vertical compliance built in?

Dec. 3, 2019, 7:29 a.m.

I went from a carbon bar that I'd been using for ages to a Chromag OSX 35 aluminum bar and to be honest I took the Chromag bar back off again after a few rides. Probably great to smash in the park and know it won't fail  but I found it way too harsh for general riding. I went to another carbon bar. Finally I went with the new One Up bar and this is more comfortable still. Sure, there might be some 'mind over matter' going on, but you can physically feel the One Up bar flex a bit when you press down hard on it. Not enough to negatively impact the ride though.

I do wish the industry would just go back to 31.8 though. Instead there will probably be a new 33.9 standard coming along. Or maybe 36 in the middle and 21 at the grips.....

Dec. 3, 2019, 9:28 a.m.

Vital did a bunch of testing where they hung weights from various handlebars and measured deflection. There was quite a bit of variation between models of carbon bars, and the alloy Race Face bars tested flexed similarly. The OneUp bars had the largest deflection.

Starts around 6:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHvBgm1Vvg&feature=emb_title

Last edited by: D_C_ on Dec. 3, 2019, 9:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 3, 2019, 1:23 p.m.

That vid is what got me wondering about the 1up.

Yeah, I also wish it was all still 31.8. As far as I'm concerned 35 just introduces unnecessary stiffness problems. 

Never had hand pain in my life like I do with the 35 that came with my new bike.

Dec. 5, 2019, 3:17 a.m.

I don’t know how availability is in Canada, but the Syntace carbon bars are engineered to offer remarkable comfort and vibration reduction. They are 31,8mm, come in different bends and rises and they have high-end quality assurance standards. Their bars test to a really next level fatigue standard compared to other big players, verified in several nerdy bike mag tests. 

That said, I have wrist problems and a Syntace 20mm carbon riser at 760mm width lets me ride with a lot less pain compared to several alloy and carbon bars from different manufacturers. I haven’t tried the Oneup bar, but am curious!

35mm bats don’t work for me. Rode a Raceface Atlas for some weeks, but it was harsh for my wrists.

Dec. 7, 2019, 10:07 a.m.

Oh man the selection is slanted, if you want any of the new hotness it's all 35mm.

Maybe I'll dig through the antique obsolete 31.8 bin in the local shops.

But that 35mm Race Face purple stem...

Dec. 7, 2019, 2:25 p.m.

No mention of the WR1 DaPackage? 33mm for compliance in a sleeve to make it 35mm. Light and made in Canada, worth a look imo

Dec. 8, 2019, 3:08 a.m.

@Znarf: I know a few people who swear by Syntace bars, mostly because they can be had with a 12 degree backsweep. What sweep are you using?

Dec. 8, 2019, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: Timer

@Znarf: I know a few people who swear by Syntace bars, mostly because they can be had with a 12 degree backsweep. What sweep are you using?

That is right! Some people love the 12deg bars, but I much prefer the classic 8deg backsweep for technical riding. I like the 12deg for seated riding but don't get in a stable position standing up and descending etc. But they do offer most of their bars in 8 AND 12deg.

Dec. 8, 2019, 1:42 p.m.

May be unoriginal but I just run 31.8 alloy Renthal, like gawd intended. :)

Dec. 8, 2019, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

May be unoriginal but I just run 31.8 alloy Renthal, like gawd intended. :)

What's that?

Dec. 18, 2019, 9:34 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

having watched that test, i wonder if measured deflection=riding comfort or if there's more to it.

More deflection equals more rebound so the darling of the bar is important. That’s what I really rate the Spank vibrocore bars. I’ve found the Spike (dh) bar slightly more comfortable than the Oozy (trail) bar at the same width, same grips.

Rather than material, it’s really useful to prioritise stiffness/directness or comfort, cost, safety (if you travel or crash a bit).

Dec. 29, 2019, 8:51 p.m.

Laid a bunch of bars out on the shop counter today and after protracted sniffing picked the Diety Speedway carbon. Identical sweep and rise as Raceface, but bit more solid feeling than a Next R and 8.5% more sexy. Had a One Up in the lineup too but it had a tiny bit less sweep than my preferred Race Face ideal.

Imaginary performance gains here I come.