Does Carbon Handlebar make sense if....

Dec. 18, 2019, 9:34 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

having watched that test, i wonder if measured deflection=riding comfort or if there's more to it.

More deflection equals more rebound so the darling of the bar is important. That’s what I really rate the Spank vibrocore bars. I’ve found the Spike (dh) bar slightly more comfortable than the Oozy (trail) bar at the same width, same grips.

Rather than material, it’s really useful to prioritise stiffness/directness or comfort, cost, safety (if you travel or crash a bit).

Dec. 29, 2019, 8:51 p.m.

Laid a bunch of bars out on the shop counter today and after protracted sniffing picked the Diety Speedway carbon. Identical sweep and rise as Raceface, but bit more solid feeling than a Next R and 8.5% more sexy. Had a One Up in the lineup too but it had a tiny bit less sweep than my preferred Race Face ideal.

Imaginary performance gains here I come.

Jan. 21, 2020, 11:42 p.m.

Actually, after running a 35 carbon bar for a few weeks I'm surprised to say that my hand pain issue is totally gone.

35mm is a shit show, but if you're having pain from say the stock aluminum 35 bar that came on your bike and don't want to swap out to a 31.8 stem and bar, a 35mm carbon bar might be the secret magical rainbow unicorn you never knew you needed.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Jan. 22, 2020, 9:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.