Does Carbon Handlebar make sense if....

Feb. 11, 2019, 7:18 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

Posted by: tashi

I've paid a high price for front-end equipment failure in the past so I replace my fork and handlebar frequently for peace of mind.  The price of carbon bars would prevent me from being able to do that so I go aluminum.

That must be quite the story?

Nothing unusual, just the classic "boy breaks fork, boy meets ground, boy crushes vertebrae" story.  Also a few snapped handlebar tales from when everything was just far too light during the mid-nineties.

Feb. 11, 2019, 7:48 p.m.

After 2 rides on the new bike with my first ever carbon bars I can't say I really noticed any sort of difference. Makes me think the weight savings isn't worth the extra $100 or so.

Feb. 11, 2019, 9:21 p.m.

I switched from a 35mm alloy bar to the same make/model carbon bar (Easton Haven). The alloy bar was stiff to the point of being unridable for me. My hands/wrists would not make it through a ride without getting numb and painful. The carbon bar seems to damp out the vibration without feeling noodly. No more wrist/hand discomfort at all. The carbon bar was clearly better than the Alloy version.