Does anyone need an update anymore?

Jan. 20, 2021, 8:50 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

2021 is more than likely my last bike purchase. I have a busy couple of years ahead of me. Have bare land and a house and shop to build. I,m also in a area where I don,t have that 20min drive to a killer spot. I have to head to Kamloops region or Clearwater . Chu Chua is close but it,s only a hand full of trails. Plus with all my crew in the Fraser Valley . I don,t get ride invitations as much anymore. We will see once the snow is gone LOL.

well yer beyond hope now,

might as well keep going,  as mentioned Valemont is pretty  good has a good brewery

Sun peaks for riding lifts, there is a big netwerk in williams lake  in fact there has been riding everywhere up narth for the last 20+ years

WW kayaking on the clearwater is amazing for the surfing

Jan. 20, 2021, 10:27 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

I was in exactly the same place last year, 2015 Process153 that I had upgraded over 4 years so the only thing left was the frame and the Pike. It was a tough decision as I was desperately trying to figure out how I could transfer the parts to a new frame and then recoup something for the frame that was left over etc etc and then I had the term 'sunk costs' mentioned to me. I sold the entire bike to a very stoked kid and ignored how much I'd put into the bike. Found a great deal on a sorted 2019 bike and am now very carefully balancing upgradeitis vs new and shiny vs actual running costs. I think Tannus will be the only thing I'll add to the bike right now.

To repose the original question asked by OP: is there anything in particular about your new bike that makes it a no-brainer to upgrade? I found one bike I'd buy in stock and I know I need to act soon.

My internal struggle is is mostly in my fork. I have a lot of sunk cost in my Pike: coil conversion and Avalanche damper upgrade. The damper only fits a pre-2017 pike. My CSU creaks, and it's way too expensive to fit to a new fork.

I just bought the Tannus inserts, but haven't tried them yet. Hopefully today. They'll go in my DH bike if I sell the Process and buy a 29r.

Jan. 20, 2021, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: heathen

2021 is more than likely my last bike purchase. I have a busy couple of years ahead of me. Have bare land and a house and shop to build. I,m also in a area where I don,t have that 20min drive to a killer spot. I have to head to Kamloops region or Clearwater . Chu Chua is close but it,s only a hand full of trails. Plus with all my crew in the Fraser Valley . I don,t get ride invitations as much anymore. We will see once the snow is gone LOL.

Where did you end up? There was crazy freeride stuff in Blue River back in the day.

Closest town is Barriere. We are out by South Barriere Lake . Middle of the bush really, just no trail net work yet LOL. I have 16 acres I can build my own trails as well.

I have heard of Blue River never been there yet. Only been up to Clearwater once. Never seen the city, just passed thru. I have been told there is some free riders. Who drop the cliffs out by the gun range outside of Barriere.

Looking forward to checking out Harper Mtn , Sun Peaks and some of the other spots around Loops. They are all roughly an hour drive for me. Got that new Marin to ride as well.

I hear good things about Valmont. Harper mtn is awesome!!!!! I think once you get settled in you will find there is lots of good riding around you. Plus as you said you can just build trails out your back door. Awesome area to be in.

Thanks . I,m sure you are right. As far as my yard , It,s 580m long , 120m wide. Should be able to get some killer short trails in there. There is a couple little gullies , some short steep sections . Tons of trees, should be able to do a mini ThornHill for trails . Best part no permission needed as I own the land outright.

Back to Vailmont , what bike park is up in that area? A buddy just bought 60acres up there.

As a small winter town Valmont is pushing hard to get more summer traffic and they are becoming a well know bike destination. Check them out on Trailforks.

Jan. 20, 2021, 5:04 p.m.

Been thinking about this for a bit. My previous bike (sx trail) I had for just over a decade, and even when I shelved it, it was still a good ride. I renewed "the fleet" about 1.5 yrs ago and have only made one upgrade to the new2me '18 Warden of a -2 angle set. For what I like to ride I honestly can't see getting another new bike for a loooong time again. The Instinct I have would be considered a bit dated, but for the type of riding I use it for a newer xc based bike won't make a difference for me. The only thing on the radar is replacing the wheel set and fork on my dh bike to go from 26'' to the 27.5" it's designed for. Although I may not bother considering how often the dh bike gets out to play.

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:25 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

might as well keep going,  as mentioned Valemont is pretty  good has a good brewery

Sun peaks for riding lifts, there is a big netwerk in williams lake  in fact there has been riding everywhere up narth for the last 20+ years

Did a enduro at Fox Mtn in Billys puddle. Great spot , great local crew and vibe. Definitely a great spot.

Jan. 20, 2021, 8:30 p.m.

^^^

sounds like you need to buy yourself a mini excavator, find a spot and go nuts

Jan. 20, 2021, 9:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

^^^

Have a 35hp tractor with a backhoe .

Jan. 21, 2021, 4:51 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

^^^

Have a 35hp tractor with a backhoe .

I see a pump track

Jan. 21, 2021, 11:02 a.m.

Here's my long-winded upgrade motivation saga...

I was pretty slow to adopt most new trends in mtb after about 2007, as I spent a really long time on/off in college/Uni, which I didn't start until I was 27. By the time I finally reached my education goals and found a career, I was in my mid 30's and still flat broke. From 2009 - 2016, I pretty much relied on hand-me-down frames or whatever was super affordable, and whatever parts I could muster up through friends/connections/buy'n'sell. It definitely helped launch my renaissance when I did a few Co-op terms at Rocky near the end of my schooling (cheap deals, a free used frame, etc), but after such a long time in school, it took a long time to be able to afford new things once out the other side.

When I had squeezed everything out of my free '14 Altitude Alum frame, I found a nice compromise with the '15 Giant Trance, after really liking the one I had found for my GF a couple years prior. It seemed like they could be found everywhere for cheap, and although they weren't quite burly enough for Shore/Sea2Sky (IMO), I only broke one chainstay in 4 years of riding it (crash replacement). In the last year of riding the Giant, I focused on increasing my quiver, as I wanted to replace my unrideable 2007 Norco DH, and my '13 Aperture hard tail. Neither of those bikes got ridden anymore, because the Altitude and Giant had  better fit/geo/wheel-size, and now I was spoiled (foreshadowing).

So I compromised a bit on the 2 auxiliary bikes. I got my buddy to make me a hard tail, with the general Geo/purpose I was looking for (no compromise), and I found a brand new 26" Aurum frame that I could use as mullet with a 27.5 fork, that was really cheap old stock an NS Bikes but still had a full warranty (compromise). Great, now I have a wicked hard tail, and a bike that didn't break the bank for the dozen or so shuttle/park days per year, which saves my trail suspension bike from severe beat-downs. 

Last year was the straw that broke the cheap-guy's back, and everything seemed to line up. The Trance was getting clapped, and risking another crash replacement. Geo had evolved lots over the previous few years (HA/reach/SA), my hardtail had me loving more reach and steeper SA, and it was trickling down to more affordable complete bikes. I was finally at a point financially where I could consider selling some old stuff and buying a complete bike. I turned 40 in early February (B-Day present), and it was time for my first new complete trail bike since 2004. My budget oriented self landed on a Ripmo AF, knowing the important aspects for me were better geo, a frame that fit, and suspension I could tune and work on (also my first 29er). I was satisfied that any additional parts upgrades could be done over time, and the fact that I had it before the Covid Boom was just icing on the cake. 

After that, it's been a few upgrades. New brakes for the Ibis, which made the brakes on my other two bikes feel hopelessly inadequate. That led to new brakes on the other two. Tannus inserts in the hard tail, and now I'll be looking for some for the Ibis once the season gets rolling. Slippery slope, that upgrading.

TLDR: As soon as I reached a point in my life that I could afford upgrades for the sake of upgrades, it all starts with one bike/component. Then the others need it. After typing all this out, I understand why many are saying "don't demo bikes regularly unless you want to buy". This also makes me understand the appeal of one do-it-all bike, but I guess that's just one compromise I'm not willing to make. Upgrades can be a slippery slope with no end, if you don't find a reason to control the slide.

Jan. 21, 2021, 1:17 p.m.

Did a enduro at Fox Mtn in Billys puddle. Great spot , great local crew and vibe. Definitely a great spot.

Back in the day I spent a lot of money at Red Shred's bike & board shed which was the center of all things awesume in WL

In any case getting your self beyond hope is a good idea IME,

my life definatley changed for the better by getting out of Vangroovy

Jan. 21, 2021, 3:41 p.m.

I am a firm believer in buying/building up the best bike I can, then keeping it for as long as possible. Most parts of a bike can be upgraded if necessary, but geometry is hard to change.  I jumped on the new geo bandwagon and bought my first 29-er at the beginning of 2020 (Knolly Fugitive). I like the big wheels, and I love the longer geometry. The aluminum frame seems like it will last me a long time too.  I honestly can't think of another FS bike that I would be interested in, but like Vik I don't plan on demoing any either.  My upgrade this year is going to be a modern geo hardtail. These two bikes should keep my happy for a long time and hopefully keep the upgrade-itis away!

Jan. 21, 2021, 8:03 p.m.

Back in the day I spent a lot of money at Red Shred's bike & board shed which was the center of all things awesume in WL

In any case getting your self beyond hope is a good idea IME,

my life definatley changed for the better by getting out of Vangroovy

Ya Mark is a cool dude. Chatted with him during the race. He told me to watch the trees . After the stage he checked my bars for bark scrubs. Told him narrow trees are not a issue. Lots of stuff in the Fraser VALLEY with bar grabbing trees is spots.

And ya long over due move. As much as I loved living in Fraser Valley. The costs and constant growth drained us.

Jan. 21, 2021, 8:58 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

And ya long over due move. As much as I loved living in Fraser Valley. The costs and constant growth drained us.

interesting observation. i was reading some economic study that said people in rapidly developing economies are less happy than people in stable economies. even if the rapid development brings affluence.  it seems that people didn't evolve with rapid swirling change around them; life was slower. most people prefer this.

I've been trying to leave the city for a decade. Still can't quite break loose. Now I have two homes - a very small one in Van and a much roomier one on the island. My wife and I always talk about settling on one spot but every time we go to the other place we realize how much we like it as well. We tried small town living in the Kootenays for a couple of years and after about a year we were tired of the same stuff all the time. Sure the snow was divine and the loam was to die for but you can only ride and ski so much. Sometimes its nice to put on some nice clothes and go out for a stellar dinner, walk home over the burrard bridge as the sun is setting yadda yadda. Can't do that in small town BC (yet). I think our outlook would be different if we had kids, but we don't so two homes it is!

Jan. 22, 2021, 12:45 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: JBV

interesting observation. i was reading some economic study that said people in rapidly developing economies are less happy than people in stable economies. even if the rapid development brings affluence.  it seems that people didn't evolve with rapid swirling change around them; life was slower. most people prefer this.

I've been trying to leave the city for a decade. Still can't quite break loose. Now I have two homes - a very small one in Van and a much roomier one on the island. My wife and I always talk about settling on one spot but every time we go to the other place we realize how much we like it as well. We tried small town living in the Kootenays for a couple of years and after about a year we were tired of the same stuff all the time. Sure the snow was divine and the loam was to die for but you can only ride and ski so much. Sometimes its nice to put on some nice clothes and go out for a stellar dinner, walk home over the burrard bridge as the sun is setting yadda yadda. Can't do that in small town BC (yet). I think our outlook would be different if we had kids, but we don't so two homes it is!

We started in North Burnaby in the late 80,s. Then moved to Hammond in Maple Ridge. Amazing little community, but it got busy. The Golden Ears bridge didn,t help. From there to Whonnock semi-rural Maple Ridge. It was very quiet and peaceful as well 15yrs ago. And it got busier as well. We lived a few hundred feet from 272nd. That road is non stop for traffic at all hours now. Best location for riding thou. Woodlot and Thornhill where minutes away. Bear and Red where 15/20min drive . We did consider moving to Steelhead area , or Deroche and such. But losing both our jobs this year. We said we always talked about starting from scratch. This is a great time to do it. No regrets what so ever for us. We don,t have the equity we had before. But we also don,t have any mortgages or debts . It,s also the time to bring back the generational family property. This land will go to our children in the future. And we get to build a house and shop to suit our needs.

Jan. 22, 2021, 1:58 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

TLDR: As soon as I reached a point in my life that I could afford upgrades for the sake of upgrades, it all starts with one bike/component. Then the others need it. After typing all this out, I understand why many are saying "don't demo bikes regularly unless you want to buy". This also makes me understand the appeal of one do-it-all bike, but I guess that's just one compromise

I'm not willing to make. Upgrades can be a slippery slope with no end, if you don't find a reason to control the slide.

Thank you for sharing. I do occasionally stress sometimes that my other bikes wont be good anymore once I get one new trail bike.

My DH bike has the same reach and wheel size as my trail bike. I'm afraid as soon as I go to a longer, slacker, 29" trail bike, I will also need to buy a new longer, slacker, 29" DH bike. Aside from the $$$, that will be tough to do during a pandemic.