Does anyone need an update anymore?

Jan. 19, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

2021 is more than likely my last bike purchase. I have a busy couple of years ahead of me. Have bare land and a house and shop to build. I,m also in a area where I don,t have that 20min drive to a killer spot. I have to head to Kamloops region or Clearwater . Chu Chua is close but it,s only a hand full of trails. Plus with all my crew in the Fraser Valley . I don,t get ride invitations as much anymore. We will see once the snow is gone LOL.

Jan. 19, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

2021 is more than likely my last bike purchase. I have a busy couple of years ahead of me. Have bare land and a house and shop to build. I,m also in a area where I don,t have that 20min drive to a killer spot. I have to head to Kamloops region or Clearwater . Chu Chua is close but it,s only a hand full of trails. Plus with all my crew in the Fraser Valley . I don,t get ride invitations as much anymore. We will see once the snow is gone LOL.

Where did you end up? There was crazy freeride stuff in Blue River back in the day.

Jan. 19, 2021, 2:38 p.m.

The only time I feel the need to get a new bike is when there is a big change in the industry. I've only had 3 mountain bikes ever and my first upgrade was to go from 26 to 29 and the second upgrade was to get carbon + "modern geometry" (slack HTA, steep STA, longer, etc.). The first upgrade (26 to 29) felt more substantial than the second upgrade, although I am still definitely happy I bought my current bike as it was still a noticeable improvement. 

Until another major advancement comes along I won't be buying a new bike. Also, pretty sure my next new bike will end up being an e-bike but then I would also keep my current bike too since I think both options have pros and cons.

Jan. 19, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

I got one of the early long and low bikes, the 2015 process, and now I'm stuck with any part I have or buy probably not being able to transfer to the next bike, and the current bike likely to crack eventually.

I'm very tempted to ditch the nice old rig for something available with new standards, but I don't know how much of a benefit having warranty is actually going to be this year.

I'm currently trending more towards spare everything, frame included.

Jan. 19, 2021, 4:40 p.m.

I'm likely on my last bikes as far as buying updated versions. Would not mind a Norco Torrent HT, though.

Jan. 19, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Where did you end up? There was crazy freeride stuff in Blue River back in the day.

Closest town is Barriere. We are out by South Barriere Lake . Middle of the bush really, just no trail net work yet LOL. I have 16 acres I can build my own trails as well.

I have heard of Blue River never been there yet. Only been up to Clearwater once. Never seen the city, just passed thru. I have been told there is some free riders. Who drop the cliffs out by the gun range outside of Barriere.

Looking forward to checking out Harper Mtn , Sun Peaks and some of the other spots around Loops. They are all roughly an hour drive for me. Got that new Marin to ride as well.

Jan. 19, 2021, 8:15 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I should note that with STAs getting super steep and my body not being able to pedal them enjoyably for long periods most/a lot of the new bikes I see splashed across MTB media sites I don't think I could comfortably ride so that helps tame any impulse purchase risk...not to mention how expensive the frame up builds are that I would undertake if I was getting a new FS bike.

I wonder if the next big development will be layback dropper posts to slacken too steep sta's? I have the seat on my primer slammed to the back to slacken that sta, and its not even that steep. I'm not sure old bodies are made for 78 deg sta's. 

Also, I quite like a bike that gets on the back wheel easily. I think that has fallen out of style with longer chainstays (especially on bigger bikes). I'm wondering if in 5 years I will even be able to find anything that rides as playful as my 27.5 evil and knolly do. I kind of assume all bikes will have 10mm longer chainstays, 50mm longer wheelbases and 29 inch wheels in 5 years. 

People will stare and point at my prehistoric bikes and wonder how I possibly get down the mountain with 16.5" chainstays and a 74 deg sta and I will look back at them and wink knowingly and then they will be taken aback and wonder what it is I know that they don't. Could there be some secret sauce in my old geo that gone lost in search of all out speed?

Jan. 19, 2021, 8:41 p.m.

Steep seat tubes are fixing my lower back issues so yep, my mountain bikes are getting updated.

2014 Stumpy to 2021 RSD Wildcat

2016 Rootdown to ?????

Last edited by: tashi on Jan. 19, 2021, 8:42 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 19, 2021, 10:17 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

2016 Rootdown to ?????

2021 Rootdown

Jan. 20, 2021, 5:45 a.m.

Enjoy the new homestead!

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:45 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I should note that with STAs getting super steep and my body not being able to pedal them enjoyably for long periods most/a lot of the new bikes I see splashed across MTB media sites I don't think I could comfortably ride so that helps tame any impulse purchase risk...not to mention how expensive the frame up builds are that I would undertake if I was getting a new FS bike.

I wonder if the next big development will be layback dropper posts to slacken too steep sta's? I have the seat on my primer slammed to the back to slacken that sta, and its not even that steep. I'm not sure old bodies are made for 78 deg sta's. 

Also, I quite like a bike that gets on the back wheel easily. I think that has fallen out of style with longer chainstays (especially on bigger bikes). I'm wondering if in 5 years I will even be able to find anything that rides as playful as my 27.5 evil and knolly do. I kind of assume all bikes will have 10mm longer chainstays, 50mm longer wheelbases and 29 inch wheels in 5 years. 

People will stare and point at my prehistoric bikes and wonder how I possibly get down the mountain with 16.5" chainstays and a 74 deg sta and I will look back at them and wink knowingly and then they will be taken aback and wonder what it is I know that they don't. Could there be some secret sauce in my old geo that gone lost in search of all out speed?

What is it about steep STA are you finding that hurts your old body? Much like Tasha i have found the steep STA to help my lower back pain.

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:49 a.m.

Closest town is Barriere. We are out by South Barriere Lake . Middle of the bush really, just no trail net work yet LOL. I have 16 acres I can build my own trails as well.

I have heard of Blue River never been there yet. Only been up to Clearwater once. Never seen the city, just passed thru. I have been told there is some free riders. Who drop the cliffs out by the gun range outside of Barriere.

Looking forward to checking out Harper Mtn , Sun Peaks and some of the other spots around Loops. They are all roughly an hour drive for me. Got that new Marin to ride as well.

I hear good things about Valmont. Harper mtn is awesome!!!!! I think once you get settled in you will find there is lots of good riding around you. Plus as you said you can just build trails out your back door. Awesome area to be in.

Jan. 20, 2021, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

I got one of the early long and low bikes, the 2015 process, and now I'm stuck with any part I have or buy probably not being able to transfer to the next bike, and the current bike likely to crack eventually.

I'm very tempted to ditch the nice old rig for something available with new standards, but I don't know how much of a benefit having warranty is actually going to be this year.

I'm currently trending more towards spare everything, frame included.

I was in exactly the same place last year, 2015 Process153 that I had upgraded over 4 years so the only thing left was the frame and the Pike. It was a tough decision as I was desperately trying to figure out how I could transfer the parts to a new frame and then recoup something for the frame that was left over etc etc and then I had the term 'sunk costs' mentioned to me. I sold the entire bike to a very stoked kid and ignored how much I'd put into the bike. Found a great deal on a sorted 2019 bike and am now very carefully balancing upgradeitis vs new and shiny vs actual running costs. I think Tannus will be the only thing I'll add to the bike right now.

Jan. 20, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

Enjoy the new homestead!

Thanks Vik . Long over due change.

Jan. 20, 2021, 8:39 a.m.

I hear good things about Valmont. Harper mtn is awesome!!!!! I think once you get settled in you will find there is lots of good riding around you. Plus as you said you can just build trails out your back door. Awesome area to be in.

Thanks . I,m sure you are right. As far as my yard , It,s 580m long , 120m wide. Should be able to get some killer short trails in there. There is a couple little gullies , some short steep sections . Tons of trees, should be able to do a mini ThornHill for trails . Best part no permission needed as I own the land outright.

Back to Vailmont , what bike park is up in that area? A buddy just bought 60acres up there.