Does anyone need an update anymore?

Jan. 19, 2021, 2:30 a.m.

I've never been a cutting edge sort of rider. I'm often happier getting a great deal on a 1 year old design than paying full pop for the latest and greatest.

I was slow to adopt a few trends. Front shocks, rear shocks, modern geo to name a few. In the last few years my bikes have gotten mostly up to date but not quite the full on low, slack and long that everyone seems to be after. I did try one of those, but sold it as I liked my other bikes better.

Whenever I ride my bikes, I question what would make me want to replace them. They are all really fun to ride and capable. The head tube angles are all between 63.5 and 65.5. The seat tube angles are certainly not the steepest and the top tube not the longest, but they all work for me. I really cannot imagine replacing any of them simply to get something with 2mm bigger stanchions or a 10mm longer wheelbase, or a 1 deg slacker hta. 

Obviously most people on here will probably say, if you like your bike, be happy and go ride it. I am wondering, for those who have bikes they bought in the last 3 years or so, is there anything on newer bikes that you think make them worth investing in a whole new rig, or are you happy like me riding "previously cutting edge" bikes?

Jan. 19, 2021, 4:50 a.m.

2021 is year #4 for my FS bike. Other than tuning the rear shock and different tires/bars/grips/brake pads the bike is stock. It rides amazingly well. Guerrilla Gravity came out with a new version of the Smash in 2019 just 6 months after I got mine. My GF has the new carbonium version it looks nice. Where I hang out in the GG sub-forum on MTBR the other owners of the metal GGs were getting all excited about the carbon bikes in 2019 and asking me if I was upgrading. My answer was no. I just got my Smash dialed. It fits me great and rides really well. I plan to ride it many more years. 

I also don't buy into "new and improved" I can't tell you how many times I have loved product X and gone to replace it with the new version only to find it's not as good as the old version...at least in my personal case. 

I kind of would like a short travel 29er FS bike. I've been thinking about it for a couple years. It could take me 2-3 more years to ponder and research before I get one. I'd keep the GG Smash as my heavy hitter FS bike and just add the new short travel FS bike to the mix. Short travel FS bikes have been hot the last while. By the time I actually buy one the MTB industry will be onto something else...probably something with a motor! That's okay. I'm not trying to be trendy. I'll keep the short travel FS bike a good 5-10 years and pedal it with a big smile on my face...even though by then pedaling will be so 2020.

I should note that with STAs getting super steep and my body not being able to pedal them enjoyably for long periods most/a lot of the new bikes I see splashed across MTB media sites I don't think I could comfortably ride so that helps tame any impulse purchase risk...not to mention how expensive the frame up builds are that I would undertake if I was getting a new FS bike.

Jan. 19, 2021, 7:36 a.m.

I generally replace my main bike every two years as I find that is the tipping point for big repairs and I am stoked on some new bike. I usually have a extra bike or two in my quiver and don't replace them as often. My 2016 Kona Private Jake always puts a smile on my face. With disc's and thru axles I feel CX bike tech is pretty much capped ATM.  In 2018 I bought a Wideangle to replace my 2008 Cove Hand Job.

Here is the breakdown of my most recent main rigs.

2012 Stumpjumper evo 26er -> 2016 Sight C7.2 650B. 

The stumpy evo was the first bike i raced enduro with. It was only good pointed down hill. It sucked at climbing,  way too cramped. This was the biggest jump in tech. 1x11, fully adjustable rear shock, 150mm dropper, bladder damper, tiny bit slacker. This bike was way more comfortable, allowed me to do longer days.

2018 Sight C7.2 -> 2018 Ranger C7.2

I was traveling off island a lot and was signed up for three of the Canadian Enduro races so I wanted a more burley bike to handle the big off island mountains. The Range was my longest travel bike to date and first bike with the shock running on bearings. I can't believe it tool this long for shocks to be mounted on bearings. Huge increase in small bump compliance.

2018 Range C7.2-> 2020 Scout Carbon GX

Not getting off island as much and found the Range a bit too big. 160x150 feels better around here. The Scout was a huge jump in geometry. 30mm longer reach. 2.7deg steeper seat tube. 1.2deg slacker headtube (160 fork). The Scout climbs like a dream and descends as good as the Range. I cant see huge jumps in tech from the Scout so I plan to keep it for longer then two years. Plus it is one of the few carbon bikes with lifetime warranty.

Jan. 19, 2021, 8:49 a.m.

No, I don't NEED an update.

and I don't see anything at the moment that would make me WANT one.

I'm not full stuck in the past stubborn, and over my long life as a mtn biker have been ahead or behind new trends about 50%/50%.

Some of the things where I was ahead were; SPD, tubular tires (glue-on tires in 1991 and bad idea) and tubeless tires (2001 and good idea), rear suspension for XC, inserts for XC, angle adjust head sets (but, don't feel a benefit for head angles less than 68deg for BC XC since you really need to change everything such as tires, fork, frame to feel the benefit [but downhill only], but I did modify my bikes with shorter seat stays and off-set bushings/reducers starting in 2002 to get under 70deg and lower BB), frame bags for bike packing (1989)...

Where I was/am behind were; disc brakes, 29er's, 1X (and I'm still not, since XTR front pull side swing front derailleurs work so dam well), carbon rims, high points of engagement rear hubs (but did have Chris King in 2003 and found it not to be a benefit for ME for technical climbing), wide bars...

But if there is some unknown-to-me major revolution in technology for 2022, I may give it a try.

Last edited by: taprider on Jan. 19, 2021, 8:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

I tend to do iterative upgrades as parts wear out or I need some changes to geometry like bar sweep. That said I just rode a SC Blur TR for 6 years (26er gasp!) and likely would have put another year or two in it if the rear triangle didn’t kick it and SC had a replacement. I had it really dialled. 

I demoed a few 29ers and ended up with a Megatower and the biggest thing I have found is better fit. At 6’2” I’ve always felt like I’m on top of my bikes, I now feel more balanced in the bike which is a nice change. 

That said, now I have almost all the parts for a cheap 26” hard tail build and am tempted to get an inexpensive DJ or singlespeed bike for pump tracks and goofing around with my kids. The issue is finding a frame it seems.

Jan. 19, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

I think that I'm finally done.

Over the past 13 years, since I moved to BC at the end of 2007, I've owned 24 different bikes. I'm now on a Chromag Primer 29 and a Banshee Titan, plus 2 well used older road bikes to commute on. I'm done buying new bikes every 6 - 12 months . I'm moving to the replace when broken approach.

My priorities have shifted, I need to buy kids bikes now.

Last edited by: rnayel on Jan. 19, 2021, 9:36 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 19, 2021, 10:21 a.m.

Interesting premise. I borrowed a friend's older geo bike last weekend as my bike is being repaired. He's been feeling the pressure to sell it and get something new school for a while.

Honestly the only real glaring difference in ride was the wheelbase. Sure I could feel the steeper head angle, but it was adaptable. The slacker seat angle kept the seated reach long and climbing was comfy and wander-free. Out of the saddle everything shortened up though making it feel a bit squirrelly in comparison to the long-low-slack I've grown accustomed to.

I told him to keep it and shore it up. I think properly performing brakes and suspension would have made far more difference in the ride than a slightly longer wheelbase.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Jan. 19, 2021, 10:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2021, 10:28 a.m.

One year I am scoping out some 223 DH skis the next year kid carrier packs

Posted by: rnayel

I think that I'm finally done.

My priorities have shifted, I need to buy kids bikes now.

so get yer kid a spawn its totally worth it and then live vicariously thru them

the only thing I don't have on a 3 yr old bike is steeper seat angles

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 19, 2021, 10:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2021, 10:40 a.m.

It really is amazing how far bikes have come.

I am currently rebuilding an old Cannondale Claymore. Jumping between that and my SB165 is wild, the Claymore feels so short and steep.  

I guess it depends, 3 year spread, I can't really tell the difference. 5+ years, I feel that enough has changed to warrant an upgrade.  

I feel that I am getting close to a stable of bikes that I will be keeping for a while, but we will see. I never buy new anyway, always used (can't afford the new shiny!)

Jan. 19, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

I would have been fine continuing to ride my 9 year old SC Nomad Mk2, but when I got a modern geo [for the time] bike it was very hard to switch between them so I sold the Nomad to a buddy.  That's also the reason I don't demo bikes when I am not looking to buy something new.

Jan. 19, 2021, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I would have been fine continuing to ride my 9 year old SC Nomad Mk2, but when I got a modern geo [for the time] bike it was very hard to switch between them so I sold the Nomad to a buddy.  That's also the reason I don't demo bikes when I am not looking to buy something new.

Yeah it is hard to go back!

Jan. 19, 2021, 12:20 p.m.

Avoiding demos is key. I did that for a few years until I was forced to  a new ride.

Jan. 19, 2021, 12:37 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

3 boys, so there is definitely a good argument for buying quality bikes. Started this year and picked up a 16" early rider belter for my 5 year old, after much bashing, still looks new and will be ready for his brother come next summer. Going up to 20", the options really open up, and gears will make exploring less whine driven.

Jan. 19, 2021, 1:25 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Avoiding demos is key. I did that for a few years until I was forced to  a new ride.

It is. Although I just demoed the new version of my bike. Now with super boost, longer, and slacker. It felt exactly the same as my Wreckoning only difference was the new Zeb fork was pretty impressive.

Jan. 19, 2021, 1:54 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Posted by: XXX_er

3 boys, so there is definitely a good argument for buying quality bikes. Started this year and picked up a 16" early rider belter for my 5 year old, after much bashing, still looks new and will be ready for his brother come next summer. Going up to 20", the options really open up, and gears will make exploring less whine driven.

I think new they are 600$ +, my buddy picked up a used 16" spawn for only 250$ but  in any case he sez its totally worth the $$$ cuz the spawn is lighter/ better the kid likes it more, rides it farther, I seen little buddy way out east riding with his sitter and i was impressed with how far he had riddne