Do you ride a hardtail?

March 15, 2019, 10:07 a.m.

It's a March feature at The Waverley and it was pretty good.  Would have been better with less sauce.  IMO there is too much sauce used on burgers which often covers a bland patty.  In this case the elk was delicious.  I'm not anti vegan, if it comes down to it I will eat one.

March 15, 2019, 10:08 a.m.

29 wheels suit my old man riding style a bit better than 650B did.

March 15, 2019, 1:43 p.m.

29 wheels with the sorted geometry of late have saved hardtails IMO, also the generally less janky trails the masses ride today compared to 10 years ago. 

27.5 hardtails will always be more playful, but you can't take away the versatility of a modern 29 hardtail and its still pretty damn playful comparatively speaking

March 15, 2019, 4:24 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Posted by: RAHrider

How was the Elk Burger? Where did you get it?

He probably shot the Elk. Ethical hardtail orientated meat harvesting is the new thing.

Too bad we can't give thumbs up here.

March 16, 2019, 5:47 p.m.

I ride an NS Surge in Wellington, Enzed.

It's too short for me but was built up from bits and bobs and is my only ride. It's a blast on most trails around these parts and I don't often get dropped unless I'm riding with the local bullets... 

If I had the cash to drop on a new bike I think I'd have a hard time deciding between a 29er ht (that fits) and a 120mm aggro trail bike. 

The lower maintenance (and let's face it, kudos from other riders) for riding gnar and keeping up are the reasons why I'll probably go with another ht.

March 25, 2019, 1:38 p.m.

I have a hard tail for various reasons.

1. It keeps me honest and reminds me how to ride my fully both fast and efficiently but not letting me get lazy.

2. Winter.

3. Fun. Honestly I get to ride on the ragged edge more on the hardtail than on the fully and I love that sense of just getting away with it on my hardtail.

4. Big summer alpine rides.

5. Sentimental reasons.

6. Bike whore.

April 1, 2019, 11:01 p.m.

I’ve been seeing more and more 27.5+ tires on hardtails recently. 

Anyone tried them? I’m no so sure about plus size but I can see the benefit on a hard tail.

April 2, 2019, 9:07 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I’ve been seeing more and more 27.5+ tires on hardtails recently. 

Anyone tried them? I’m no so sure about plus size but I can see the benefit on a hard tail.

i'm pretty keen to try a 29/27.5+ hybrid on my HT, it makes some kind of sense to me. All the things I don't love about 27.5+ are ameliorated by the fact it's on a HT and on the rear only. I just wish tires weren't even more god damn expensive than regular tires. 29*2.6 Bonty SE4 (which I like as a rear) $109. 27.5*2.8 Bonty SE4 $159!

April 2, 2019, 8:32 p.m.

I'm totally off 27.5+. You are supposed to run low pressure but then they just feel all wobbly and uncertain. If you hyperinflate them so they don't roll, what's the point. Went back to 2.4/2.5 minions, I can run the 20PSI or less and they rip.

April 3, 2019, 10:55 a.m.

I'm totally off 27.5+. You are supposed to run low pressure but then they just feel all wobbly and uncertain. If you hyperinflate them so they don't roll, what's the point. Went back to 2.4/2.5 minions, I can run the 20PSI or less and they rip.

27.5+ is great for beginners on cheap FS bikes - and that's where it belongs currently IMO. My wife is riding a 27.5+ fuel ex and is loving it. Totally agree about the narrow (non existant) window of compliance AND stability. On the HT i'm hoping it will add a little extra 'cush' - but I'm only trying it because it's not going to cost me anything to try.

April 3, 2019, 5:15 p.m.

27.5+ is great for beginners on cheap FS bikes - and that's where it belongs currently IMO. My wife is riding a 27.5+ fuel ex and is loving it. Totally agree about the narrow (non existant) window of compliance AND stability. On the HT i'm hoping it will add a little extra 'cush' - but I'm only trying it because it's not going to cost me anything to try.

Same. My wife rides a 27+ (2.8 minions on 35i wheels). When I first got my rootdown, my 29 wheels weren't in yet so I borrowed my wife's wheels for a few rides. It was just ok. I prefer 29s in pretty much all cases, myself.

April 4, 2019, 8:39 a.m.

i'm pretty keen to try a 29/27.5+ hybrid on my HT, it makes some kind of sense to me. All the things I don't love about 27.5+ are ameliorated by the fact it's on a HT and on the rear only. 

This is my setup of choice, both when I had my Chromags and now my Fuse.

The 2.8/3.0 rear tire gives massive traction, a bit of suspension to take the edge off, and also helps slack out the HA a bit on all frames not named Doctahawk.

Rear tire squirm is not an issue for me on the rear of a HT, it doesn't get pushed into corners near as hard as a FS bike nor is it ridden at the same speeds. The same can't be said of the front though, where I found the 29 front with proper pressure improved on the precision, rollover, and speed of the ride. 27.5+ up front to me felt vague and slightlye delayed in steering response.

April 8, 2019, 10:21 a.m.

Posted by: jon

I have a hard tail for various reasons.

1. It keeps me honest and reminds me how to ride my fully both fast and efficiently but not letting me get lazy.

2. Winter.

3. Fun. Honestly I get to ride on the ragged edge more on the hardtail than on the fully and I love that sense of just getting away with it on my hardtail.

4. Big summer alpine rides.

5. Sentimental reasons.

6. Bike whore.

I ride a hardtail, an old and outdated 26" Stylus, as my funduro/up and down mtb - and it is soo much fun, even in the Austrian Alps, where hardtails are rare on the technical stuff.

I agree, riding a ht is honest, you need to be precise and clean and know what you are doing riding wise, I have an outdated park bike as well, and riding a ht for the ordinary mtb rides seems to up my skills with the sled.

Riding a ht just feels awesome, like punkrock and skateboarding back in the days.