Do you hose your bike?

Sept. 25, 2015, 10:02 p.m.

This stuff actually works really well, I forgot all about it.

Sept. 26, 2015, 7:52 a.m.

hose it off after every ride, been doing this to bikes for the past…18 years and I don't think it's led to any premature bearing or part failure. If I forget to hose it off I usually just leave it outside on the deck and the rain does a pretty good job of cleaning it off. Seriously, nothing special going on.

Most important part IMO is getting the grit out of the drivetrain and lubing the chain/cables/pulleys before they get all caked up with grime and before your next ride.

Sept. 26, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

Most important part IMO is getting the grit out of the drivetrain and lubing the chain/cables/pulleys before they get all caked up with grime and before your next ride.

Yeah I agree. I spend most of my cleaning efforts on the drivetrain, using rags and brushes, and a plastic tool that gets into the cassette. Surprised to hear that people purposely hose their drivetrain to get rid of grime though.. Enough pressure to actually clean cogs, sprockets and chain seems like it could cause issues.

All in all seems to be about a 2 to 1 ratio in favour of hosing vs brushing, judging from posts so far. Personally, I will keep avoiding the hose.. before any major service I use damp rags to get rid of dirt that might cause issues, otherwise sticking to my brushes.

It's not a road bike, it's SUPPOSED to be muddy :D

Sept. 27, 2015, noon

Either way works. The reasons for washing or not washing are more personal (eg storing inside, laziness etc) than technical. Just lube it adequately.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 27, 2015, 12:09 p.m.

As long as you are maintaining your bike you can wash as much as want. If you don't maintain it, step away from bike ownership.

Sept. 27, 2015, 12:46 p.m.

Either way works. The reasons for washing or not washing are more personal (eg storing inside, laziness etc) than technical. Just lube it adequately.

As long as you are maintaining your bike you can wash as much as want. If you don't maintain it, step away from bike ownership.

Good points, agree! Maintaining good mechanical condition is what really matters.