Do you Enduro full-face

Sept. 21, 2020, 8:49 p.m.

Smith Mainline is listed as 770g Medium   And it looks good. Like a legit full face just with larger vent openings. Chinbar and visor look scale appropriate compared to the Bell and Kali among other offerings.  

I wonder if we’ll look back at pre-2020s Aggro Trail riding without FFs the same way other questionable safety practices are?

Sept. 22, 2020, 9:11 a.m.

The Switchblade feels like a motorcycle full face, not on weight, but by the amount of coverage and protection my head gets. Cushions are good and removable but it does get hot for me in summer and I have poor heat management so it compounds the issue which is whay I usually have it hanging off my bars. But that also has it's bonus for night riding and anything that gets cold. If the Tyrant is essentially the half shell only version, it will be bombproof.

Sept. 22, 2020, 8:30 p.m.

Do any of you guys have an enduro full face that goes up to 65cm or 25.6 inches? The fox proframe is just a touch too small for me. I know the TLD D3 comes in my size but want something a bit more breezy than a DH helmet. 

I currently run my MX helmet for rowdy stuff but it's just too hot for the pedaling in summer. I think a DH helmet is probably overkill for me too.

Sept. 23, 2020, 8:10 a.m.

Posted by: Bad-Sean

Do any of you guys have an enduro full face that goes up to 65cm or 25.6 inches? The fox proframe is just a touch too small for me. I know the TLD D3 comes in my size but want something a bit more breezy than a DH helmet. 

I currently run my MX helmet for rowdy stuff but it's just too hot for the pedaling in summer. I think a DH helmet is probably overkill for me too.

Go try them. They all fit differently. I tried the Smith, TLD, IXS, Fox and Leatt. The IXS was perfect for me, the Fox second.

Sept. 24, 2020, 1:49 a.m.

you could try thicker padding?

Posted by: andy-eunson

I have the Giro switchblade but it fits poorly. I thought it was OK in the shop but on the bike it’s hard on my neck. It’s too low on my head so looking up is hard on the neck muscles. I am considering others though. It’s about to get wet and we all forget how to ride when it gets wet eh.

Sept. 24, 2020, 12:04 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

The Switchblade feels like a motorcycle full face, not on weight, but by the amount of coverage and protection my head gets. Cushions are good and removable but it does get hot for me in summer and I have poor heat management so it compounds the issue which is whay I usually have it hanging off my bars. But that also has it's bonus for night riding and anything that gets cold. If the Tyrant is essentially the half shell only version, it will be bombproof.

I just got the Tyrant delivered, not ridden yet, but wearing it while making coffee feels good, not as hugging as the Switchblade which I found a bit too tight on the back of my head. Really curious how it feels out on the trail, plan is to ride this coming weekend.

Sept. 24, 2020, 5:07 p.m.

🤣awesome.

Sept. 24, 2020, 6:47 p.m.

I've started wearing full face mostly for the harder trails here on the Shore. A quick dad lap I will just wear XC type but really depends on trails but as we all know shit happens on the easiest of trails.

Anyone recommend a good brand of riding glasses to wear with full face ?

I currently use an old pair of Smith overdrives that fit well and stay in place but they are getting old.

I have always been glasses over googles and looking for new glasses that fit well with full face as my  ryders don't fit good on the full face, but they fit good on the XC style.

Sept. 25, 2020, 7:34 a.m.

Posted by: Admoore

I've started wearing full face mostly for the harder trails here on the Shore. A quick dad lap I will just wear XC type but really depends on trails but as we all know shit happens on the easiest of trails.

Anyone recommend a good brand of riding glasses to wear with full face ?

I currently use an old pair of Smith overdrives that fit well and stay in place but they are getting old.

I have always been glasses over googles and looking for new glasses that fit well with full face as my  ryders don't fit good on the full face, but they fit good on the XC style.

I have 100% S2s and they fit fine the IXS FF fine.

Oct. 6, 2020, 11:09 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Go try them. They all fit differently. I tried the Smith, TLD, IXS, Fox and Leatt. The IXS was perfect for me, the Fox second.

I would but there simply isn't much stock in larger sizes in my city. I haven't found a single full face remotely large enough at any of the lbs in my city. The proframe being the exception. I will just have a chat with the adult dh crew next time I visit my lbs.

Last edited by: Bad-Sean on Oct. 6, 2020, 11:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2020, 4:22 a.m.

Posted by: Bad-Sean

Posted by: craw

I would but there simply isn't much stock in larger sizes in my city. I haven't found a single full face remotely large enough at any of the lbs in my city. The proframe being the exception. I will just have a chat with the adult dh crew next time I visit my lbs.

Have you tried to find a Giro? A buddy of mine has a Pumpkinhead and Giro is pretty much all he wears.

Oct. 8, 2020, 10:04 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

FF helmets were an easy sell to parents, I told them it was cheap insurance  for the 6K they spent on orthodontic  work

Related to that, do any of you wear a mouth guard when riding with a half-lid? I got one made by the dentist after expensive orthodontic work. I wear it whenever i'm riding without a chin bar. But i haven't met anyone else who does.

As to the original question, FF only when shuttling/using a lift. I overheat too quickly, even in modern, well ventilated fullface helmets and the trails i ride are more mellow than those on the shore.

Oct. 8, 2020, 11:29 a.m.

Yes know one guy who does.

Been thinking about getting one made next dentist trip. Spent alot of money on crowns from sports injury. Don't think I wanna ride with my old hockey mouthguard. It's a bit thick

Oct. 9, 2020, 2:45 p.m.

Posted by: Timer

Posted by: XXX_er

FF helmets were an easy sell to parents, I told them it was cheap insurance  for the 6K they spent on orthodontic  work

Related to that, do any of you wear a mouth guard when riding with a half-lid? I got one made by the dentist after expensive orthodontic work. I wear it whenever i'm riding without a chin bar. But i haven't met anyone else who does.

As to the original question, FF only when shuttling/using a lift. I overheat too quickly, even in modern, well ventilated fullface helmets and the trails i ride are more mellow than those on the shore.

On my dentist's recommendation, I got one at sports check a few years ago to wear in the bike park. It's reasonably comfy, I think it was $50, drop in boiling water for 2 minutes, let cool a bit and pop it in your mouth (while hot) to mold it. It was reasonably comfy, never got around to wearing it for trail riding though.

Oct. 9, 2020, 2:49 p.m.

I wore my IXS Xult full face yesterday on a two lap run of Fromme, by the third switch back of the first lap I was overheating already and hung it on my bars, for the second run, since I was already sweaty, I just left it on.  Not wearing a helmet on the fire road is a reasonably low risk of injury, I would have suffered in the heat had I been riding the climbing trail where the odds of tipping over are higher.