Do you Enduro full-face

Sept. 19, 2020, 1:29 p.m.

I put my knee through my lip on Natural High back when I first moved to Van, I wore a full face for a few months after that.

Now I just wear a regular trail helmet for most rides.

Sept. 20, 2020, 1:44 a.m.

Commercial toilets https://bestflushingtoilet.org/best-commercial-toilet/ are constructed specifically for public places if you are looking for one you can check this article to know more.

Last edited by: Niggleze on Oct. 1, 2020, 12:44 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 20, 2020, 8:05 a.m.

I have a Met Parachute and enjoy the ratchet fit and how crazy light it is. That said I only seem to grab it for night rides.

Sept. 20, 2020, 11:56 a.m.

I have a Fox Proframe that I never wear but when I do I wonder why I dont wear it more. Super light and breathes very well. The removable chin strap helmets scare me, helmets aren't supposed to be able to come apart. One time I was following a buddy into Top Of the World, literally the first turn he went otb, very slow and awkward and somehow landed face first. The chin part on his D3 snapped clean off and cut his chin open. He was bummed because it was only a couple rides old. Anyway after seeing a dedicated dh race helmet snap like that, I can't imagine what a removable chin guard helmet would have looked like after.

Sept. 20, 2020, 12:01 p.m.

I have both a bell super 2R and a TLD stage. I have been wearing the stage on the majority of my rides. It fits me better than the bell and I like not having to fiddle with the chin guard at the top of a climb. The stage is only slightly warmer than a half -shell  and noticeably more confidence inspiring on the descents. I am very happy with the stage and I expect it will be my go-to helmet in the fall/winter.

Sept. 20, 2020, 12:20 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

I have a Fox Proframe that I never wear but when I do I wonder why I dont wear it more. Super light and breathes very well. The removable chin strap helmets scare me, helmets aren't supposed to be able to come apart. One time I was following a buddy into Top Of the World, literally the first turn he went otb, very slow and awkward and somehow landed face first. The chin part on his D3 snapped clean off and cut his chin open. He was bummed because it was only a couple rides old. Anyway after seeing a dedicated dh race helmet snap like that, I can't imagine what a removable chin guard helmet would have looked like after.

I agree the Enduro removable chin bar helmets don't provide as much protection as a DH rated helmet but if it saves my face from getting mangled one time it will be worth it. I would have hated to climb NQ yesterday with my DH helmet on. Also I think the enduro removable system is catching on. The other two guys I was riding with yesterday both had the same setup. Now things are wet and greasy and I am going to make it a regular thing.

My looks are my livelyhood. 

-Cosmo Kramer

Sept. 20, 2020, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders
Why

I agree the Enduro removable chin bar helmets don't provide as much protection as a DH rated helmet but if it saves my face from getting mangled one time it will be worth it. I would have hated to climb NQ yesterday with my DH helmet on. Also I think the enduro removable system is catching on. The other two guys I was riding with yesterday both had the same setup. Now things are wet and greasy and I am going to make it a regular thing.

-Cosmo Kramer

Why climb with the helmet on? I pretty much never to and either clip it to my bars or my pack.  In terms of heat regulation, especially in the summer, climbing without a helmet on is the only way to go imo.

Sept. 20, 2020, 4:23 p.m.

-Cosmo Kramer

Thats my point though, if his dh helmet snapped and cut his chin what do you think a removable guard will do? Break off easier and do more damage to your face imo. Helmets like the Proframe which are one piece still make the most sense to me.

Sept. 20, 2020, 8:23 p.m.

There’s a few butcher jobs on mtbr courtesy Bell Super/Giro Switchblade/Fox Proframe.

Sept. 20, 2020, 9:31 p.m.

-Cosmo Kramer

Thats my point though, if his dh helmet snapped and cut his chin what do you think a removable guard will do? Break off easier and do more damage to your face imo. Helmets like the Proframe which are one piece still make the most sense to me.

So you are saying a company like Bell who makes helmets for motorcycles etc makes helmets that don't work?  Wonder how many riders asses these Enduro helmet have saved from full dental reconstruction but we don't hear about it.

Sept. 21, 2020, 7:41 a.m.

After face planting full force into a log in my first year back riding, I've been on removable chin bar helmets since then.  (Fortunately there was 6" of hard snow on the log so all I got was snow / ice rash!).  So far I've been on the Bell 2R, Bell 3R and Bell Super DH. 

I retired the 2R after the first year due to several bigger hits that left dents. The fit on the 3R was best but I cracked the chin  bar going OTB onto a bunch of rocks on a wet winter night ride.  It saved my face but my jaw was a little sore because when it cracked the whole chin bar pushed into my face.  I didn't actually notice it was cracked until I was inspecting it back home. I still use the helmet for riding around town or on mellow rides with the family because it is so comfortable.

I'm now riding with the Bell Super DH.  Fortunately I have not tested it too hard yet but it's taken a few small hits no problem, including one face plant into a rotten log recently.  It is kind of big and less well ventilated than the 3R but I don't really notice that much.  My biggest complaint is that with its extra weight it kind of flops around on my head when the chin bar is not attached if I decide to ride down without the chin bar on.

Sept. 21, 2020, 9 a.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

After face planting full force into a log in my first year back riding, I've been on removable chin bar helmets since then.  (Fortunately there was 6" of hard snow on the log so all I got was snow / ice rash!).  So far I've been on the Bell 2R, Bell 3R and Bell Super DH. 

I retired the 2R after the first year due to several bigger hits that left dents. The fit on the 3R was best but I cracked the chin  bar going OTB onto a bunch of rocks on a wet winter night ride.  It saved my face but my jaw was a little sore because when it cracked the whole chin bar pushed into my face.  I didn't actually notice it was cracked until I was inspecting it back home. I still use the helmet for riding around town or on mellow rides with the family because it is so comfortable.

I'm now riding with the Bell Super DH.  Fortunately I have not tested it too hard yet but it's taken a few small hits no problem, including one face plant into a rotten log recently.  It is kind of big and less well ventilated than the 3R but I don't really notice that much.  My biggest complaint is that with its extra weight it kind of flops around on my head when the chin bar is not attached if I decide to ride down without the chin bar on.

I found it hard to get on with the Bell 2R helmets because of how the helmet sat different on the head depending on whether you had the chin bar attached. I like to get my helmet set up and then just wear it. The Bell required one set of strap fit for full face mode and another for half-lid mode. The Switchblade didn't require that. You put that on and it stays on, the same way, whether the chin bar is on or not.

Sept. 21, 2020, 9:29 a.m.

The Switchblade has full ASTM-1952 DH certification with and without the chinbar, for what it's worth and was one of the reasons I went for it (as well as Giro shells fit my head really well). The double D chinstrap is a huge plus for me too as my muscle memory kicks is built around those and I think they are a better, more secure strap method. The chinbar is very very easy to put on and take off, the adjustments work and a second visor with a go-pro mount is a plus as I mount my light to it using a small 3D printed part. The draw was that I could and do use it for everything on the Shore, Whistler Bike Park, you name it.

Now when I'm climbing I usually take the whole thing off and hang it on my bars like I would a full face....which starts to makes the removeable chinbar feel a trifle pointless unless I'm going up some kind of technical climb that I really need head protection. And then I always take the chinbar because I have it and it's trivial  to hold it on my pack and I may change my mind about a route.

I might as well just get a full face and put it on for the descents as long as it fit as well as the Giro and was very well ventilated with the ASTM cert. But that'll have to happen after I amortize the cost of the switchblade which is still a very good helmet.

Sept. 21, 2020, 10:17 a.m.

For what it’s worth the Giro EWS athletes are wearing the Switchblade over the dedicated full face. 

The Smith Mainland looks to be a good option for riders. Proper full face, well vented and stylish. The Kali Protection appears to be at the other end of the style spectrum but equally as vented. 

The A1 I wear is grossly lacking protection on the sides and back on my skull. I’m debating a Giro Tyrant or maybe Switchblade instead.

Sept. 21, 2020, 10:33 a.m.

WAY back in the day I went over the bars on a dirt bike wearing a FF helmet , the bike came over top of me and there was a knobby print on the helmet, the 1 " of foam in the chin bar was crushed from 1" down to 1/2" inch but absolutely no facial damage.

I did have a pretty good concussion, I spent 2 or 3 days in hospitol, had back/neck issues for years after wards which eventually the Chiro's fixed