Do you buy from CRC?

Dec. 20, 2017, 10:38 p.m.

JensonUSA is cheaper than CRC from what I've looked online.

Dec. 21, 2017, 9:55 p.m.

Finally got that fat fat refund from CBSA this week.

Dec. 25, 2017, 4:30 p.m.

So what’s the consensus on bike-discount.de? They ship DHL but that scares me generally. Do they pass off to Canada post?

Even with shipping being 25 euros the prices are stupid good. I have no issue paying tax just not the insane fees some of the shipping companies charge. 

Aside///

Is there a way to make a sticky post on the top of this thread to give a coles notes on best shipping methods? Seems like the same questions get asked regularly but are difficult to find in this long thread.

Dec. 25, 2017, 5:37 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

So what’s the consensus on bike-discount.de? They ship DHL but that scares me generally. Do they pass off to Canada post?

Even with shipping being 25 euros the prices are stupid good. I have no issue paying tax just not the insane fees some of the shipping companies charge.

Aside///

Is there a way to make a sticky post on the top of this thread to give a coles notes on best shipping methods? Seems like the same questions get asked regularly but are difficult to find in this long thread.

It's been a while since I ordered anything from Germany, but in general German DHL goes to Canada Post.

Sure, if anyone wants to create a nice post summarizing best shipping methods, we can make it sticky.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Dec. 25, 2017, 5:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 25, 2017, 6:07 p.m.

Great thanks on the info. 

I’ll tske that sticky post on. I’ll put together a post for sticky and any updates can be PMd to me to be added to the post.

Dec. 26, 2017, 10:55 p.m.

Every DHL order from a site located in Germany has had the item handed over to Canada Post.  I've had four figure orders dropped off directly at my door.  And I've had low three figure orders require payment of GST and service fee.

Dec. 27, 2017, 8:04 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I've heard some local shops say that prices on CRC are less than their cost... I'm sure there are specific items where that is the case, but in general I don't believe that... because if so, wouldn't the obviously solution be to start buying their inventory from CRC rather than from their current Canadian distributor?

Yes, this is true for many items from multiple online sources. You don't buy from Canadian distribution channels for the price. This is why Canadian shops simply can't buy stuff like Shimano and hope to sell it at retail. Most Shimano prices on any overseas retailer is on par or less than you can find at a Canadian distributor. I recently bought Saint brakes for less than you can buy them in Canada at cost. As well, I bought a Shimano drivetrain from Jenson and it was significantly less.

When I had my bmx shop, I would routinely order through CRC just so I could access product to serve my customers. Most Canadian bike shops do it because either the prices are lower or the distributor has no stock. The whole distribution model in Canada generally sucks and I believe will eventually go the way of the dinosaur. Not entirely, but for many products, yes. You can not expect people to pay double what they can easily have direct.

Dec. 27, 2017, 1:36 p.m.

This thread has grown significantly since it started meaning some of the key info is difficult to find now. Here is a sticky for the top to give a summary of the best shipping options for each website to avoid the unscrupulous shipping fees charged by the likes of DHL, FEDEX, and UPS.

When you order bike parts online expect to pay GST and the Canada Post transaction fee of $9.95 -- you may win the tax lottery but do not plan on it.

<u>Duties:</u>

Bike Parts - None

Complete Wheels - Yes, I think 12% (incomplete wheels have no duty)

Clothes and shoes - yes if not made in Mexico or the USA

Pro-tip: Best to order parts and clothing seperately or you may get dinged with duties on everything

If you have an update on an online store or have one to add please PM me so I can edit this post with the new info. Please provide in the template below.

All prices in CDN unless noted

<u>Canadian Stores</u>

www.tbsbikeparts.com

Shipping:

Ship Canada Post

Shipping Cost:

$150 = Free

<u>UK Stores</u>

www.chainreactioncycles.com

Shipping:

Make sure you choose non-tracked Canada Post or you will pay heavy fees. Oftentimes this option still gives you a tracking number.

Shipping Cost:

Over $100 = Free (charge for large items)

Under $100 = typically $9.95 though may vary for large items

Review:

Prices have gone up a bit since the Wiggle acquisition but still very good. Pretty much every product under the sun. Great customer service and quick to sort out any issues with delayed or missing items.

<u>German Stores</u>

www.bike-discount.de/en

Shipping:

Ship DHL (the national service) then pass-off to Canada Post which will charge their standard $9.95 rate plus applicable tax

Shipping Cost:

24.95 Euros for most items regardless of order value

Review:

I haven't used them yet but am soon, will update after.

Last edited by: Poz on Dec. 27, 2017, 1:38 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 27, 2017, 3:51 p.m.

If you search the thread for my posts, just cut and paste.

One of the latest ones I did talks about a new CRC shipping option that's money.

Jan. 19, 2018, 11:54 p.m.

Looks like Schwalbe has buckled. 

If you'd prefer to forego the inefficiencies the Canadian supply chain can provide you in regards to their ability to charge double for a tire, search out a lesser well known German shop that will still ship them to you.

I saved $700 ($200 vs CRC) for my tire outlay for next year (six pairs).

That said, they haven't shipped yet.

Jan. 21, 2018, 5:16 p.m.

I wonder if the Germans will fall in short order as well?

Appears that CDN Distributors are now attempting to cut out the bike shops by going direct to customer with keystone pricing.  LOL.

Bro, Brah, Bruh

Last edited by: Endur-Bro on Jan. 21, 2018, 5:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 21, 2018, 5:45 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I wonder if the Germans will fall in short order as well?

Appears that CDN Distributors are now attempting to cut out the bike shops by going direct to customer with keystone pricing.  LOL.

The big one fell, hence my panic to get an order in with someone else.

Jan. 26, 2018, 9:45 a.m.

Just got my shipping conf from bike-components.de.  Six pairs of Schwalbe Addix MM's coming down the pipe.  Another part of my order was holding it up.. I was afraid they were seeing if they could still ship the tires to me.

Jan. 26, 2018, 2:16 p.m.

I missed the memo.  Is there some kind of issue with shipping Schwalbe from the overseas German go to places?

Jan. 26, 2018, 2:37 p.m.

bike-discount.de won't send them here any more "due to shipping restrictions".