Do you buy from CRC?

June 13, 2017, 2:34 p.m.

Would appreciate some help from those knowledgeable with the whole duty and tax thing. I tried searching the forums, but the new search function on the forum sucks. I also tried searching CBSA's site for info, but that's a big headache too.

Just got the delivery notification from Canada Post that my Bike-Discount purchase is at the post office waiting to get picked up. There's a $37.54 customs amount due on it. Judging by the customs estimator on CBSA's site, it looks like that amount was calculated on the entire order.  My purchase consists of two bike chains, a set of handlebars, a suspension pump, and a mini pump.

I've seen it mentioned several times here that bike parts are duty (and tax?) exempt. Is that Canada-wide or does it depend on what province you're in (I'm in Ontario). Are the two pumps I ordered considered bike parts or are they under some other classification?

June 13, 2017, 2:58 p.m.

Posted by: dutch

I've got a few items coming from europe.. both seem majorly delayed, possibly stuck in customs.

Anybody have similar issues?

I ordered some wheels from them once. Got stuck in customs then I got an additional fee to release them. That kind of sucked. Luckily, I ended up selling them for my cost.

June 13, 2017, 3:18 p.m.

Posted by: rasheed

Would appreciate some help from those knowledgeable with the whole duty and tax thing. I tried searching the forums, but the new search function on the forum sucks. I also tried searching CBSA's site for info, but that's a big headache too.

Just got the delivery notification from Canada Post that my Bike-Discount purchase is at the post office waiting to get picked up. There's a $37.54 customs amount due on it. Judging by the customs estimator on CBSA's site, it looks like that amount was calculated on the entire order. My purchase consists of two bike chains, a set of handlebars, a suspension pump, and a mini pump.

I've seen it mentioned several times here that bike parts are duty (and tax?) exempt. Is that Canada-wide or does it depend on what province you're in (I'm in Ontario). Are the two pumps I ordered considered bike parts or are they under some other classification?

You need to see what the $37.54 is for. People often just say 'customs' and assume its duty. There will be a $9.95 handling fee for Canada Post to accept and process your order. That leaves you with about $27 to account for. What taxes are charged on bike parts and accessories in Ontario? In BC, you would (should) pay GST on the bike parts and GST and PST on the non bike parts (in your case the two pumps). Bike parts should be duty free, except for complete bikes or wheelsets. Accessories are NOT necessarily duty free, so those pumps could be dutiable possibly.

See page 22 (87-20) from CBSA website (from 2013, cant find anything newer):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/01-99/ch87-2013-eng.pdf

Last edited by: shoreboy on June 13, 2017, 3:27 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 13, 2017, 5:33 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

You need to see what the $37.54 is for. People often just say 'customs' and assume its duty. There will be a $9.95 handling fee for Canada Post to accept and process your order. That leaves you with about $27 to account for. What taxes are charged on bike parts and accessories in Ontario? In BC, you would (should) pay GST on the bike parts and GST and PST on the non bike parts (in your case the two pumps). Bike parts should be duty free, except for complete bikes or wheelsets. Accessories are NOT necessarily duty free, so those pumps could be dutiable possibly.

See page 22 (87-20) from CBSA website (from 2013, cant find anything newer):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/01-99/ch87-2013-eng.pdf

Man, sucks that the new forum doesn't have the rep feature. Much thanks for the reply.

Picked up the package and you were spot on. $9.95 handling fee. The rest was HST. Thanks for the link too!

Last edited by: rasheed on Aug. 6, 2017, 11:47 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 13, 2017, 10:59 p.m.

Posted by: mrock

Posted by: shoreboy

Ordered about $500 of parts and apparel from them on Apr 3rd.  Shipped out Apr 4th, delivered in Vancouver Apr 8th.  I always choose the Canada Post option.  I got charged $9.95 handling and another ~$22 in taxes (which is lower than what it should have been).  Fast and cheap, no complaints at all here.

I'm at 18 working days now, and nothing has showed up for me. Ordered about $200 worth of Shimano drive train parts. My first order with CRC as well, and it's taking wayyyy longer than I expected. Hopefully better luck on some future orders, or better yet, I hope this order even shows up!

Don't start to worry yet. It can often take 3 weeks.

June 22, 2017, 3:34 a.m.

Any advice on avoiding the foreign exchange rate that PayPal charges for purchases? It's 2.5%...

I'm buying a bigger item in a foreign currency and the invoice came as a PayPal link. I want to pay with my CC (zero fee foreign exchange+cash back) but it may not be possible.

June 22, 2017, 6:53 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Any advice on avoiding the foreign exchange rate that PayPal charges for purchases? It's 2.5%...

I'm buying a bigger item in a foreign currency and the invoice came as a PayPal link. I want to pay with my CC (zero fee foreign exchange+cash back) but it may not be possible.

PayPal defaults to doing the exchange to CAD for you but you can choose the charge your CC directly in the foreign currency too. The option is a bit hidden, I think it's labeled "select payment method" or something.

June 23, 2017, 7:58 p.m.

Thanks!

Sweet baby Jesus switching the currency option isn't easy on PayPal. Appears their fee is ~3.5% for my purchase, unless you click the pay in sellers currency, then use the pay based on CC rate option. Both of which are hidden.

This guy has a write-up. Long story short, if you're an upstart company and using PayPal for your online store; you're gunna have a bad time.

Last edited by: Endur-Bro on June 23, 2017, 7:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2017, 10:25 p.m.

I recently ordered from Ribble and the price before checkout is what I paid via PayPal.

June 30, 2017, 10:18 a.m.

Wow I've had a less than fun experience on this last order. 

Package shows up and it looks a lot smaller than it should be. 

They ended up sending one out of 5 items yet included the full order list. Confirmed with them the order was not split. 

Then they say they are sending out the missing items but they are out of stock of one which just so happens to be necessary for some of the other items to function (tubeless stems)

Still waiting for the package, hopefully it comes before end of summer.

June 30, 2017, 8:39 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

So, I ordered my bushings exactly two months ago yesterday and nada. Which is surprising because my last order from offsetbushings.com arrived in a couple wks.

They e-mail me (on a Sat., wow!) and offer to re-ship but I hate to double them up if it's just Cda. Customs being dicks.

On neither order did I opt for tracking though suppose in future I should.

Should I wait or hit them up for replacement? I mean, do posties steal that kind of shit?

So, they re-sent my order June 1st, it arrived today fuck man at least I can ride this wknd...........oh yeah and kudos to those guys they were prepared to send me a third shipment.

Update...the product they shipped in April just arrived. lol.....

Last edited by: tungsten on July 5, 2017, 8:13 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 10, 2017, 1:47 p.m.

Ordered a frame manufactured in the EU.  Picked it up today with GST, PST and Duties all added on.  Fuck CBSA.

Ordered some offset bushings as well for more fun times.

July 10, 2017, 2:15 p.m.

Ordered a frame manufactured in the EU. Picked it up today with GST, PST and Duties all added on. Fuck CBSA.

Fill out the form, and get your PST and (I think) Duties back. I recently added one offset bushing to my bike, and honestly I am not sure I can tell the difference. Two makes a bigger difference, but then you can run into interference issues.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 10, 2017, 2:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 10, 2017, 3:25 p.m.

I did an order from Ribble and it took 10 days to arrive.  Package can't to the front door.  No charges.

July 11, 2017, 8:42 a.m.

Ordered a frame manufactured in the EU.  Picked it up today with GST, PST and Duties all added on.  Fuck CBSA.

Currently waiting on an order from Bike-Discount; dropper post, grips, some tools and carbon grease. Tracking says it's with CBSA now for review. Hope they don't rape me with extra charges. Should find out in a few days when it gets here.