Do you buy from CRC?

May 25, 2016, 6:24 p.m.

This must be new, because I've never had it shipped DHL before.

go to post 1

May 25, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

DHL nightmare last time i ordered from CRC and it was a small order. delivery attempt tag left at house, then i wasn't home for 3 days. had to call, then go to website and fuck around trying to get them to hold it and where, etc, etc (loomis vs dhl, same same in Canada apparently). terminal only open during the week, went there (way outta my way from work) at lunch, closed for an hr at noon, back a couple days later, etc, etc. 20 bucks in fees. total nightmare, i never want to order from CRC again. i'm done.

May 25, 2016, 10:03 p.m.

DHL nightmare last time i ordered from CRC and it was a small order. delivery attempt tag left at house, then i wasn't home for 3 days. had to call, then go to website and fuck around trying to get them to hold it and where, etc, etc (loomis vs dhl, same same in Canada apparently). terminal only open during the week, went there (way outta my way from work) at lunch, closed for an hr at noon, back a couple days later, etc, etc. 20 bucks in fees. total nightmare, i never want to order from CRC again. i'm done.

To reiterate what has been said numerous times, DONT choose the default shipping option (or not bother to read the shipping options which seems to be the norm) and you wont have to deal with DHL.

May 25, 2016, 10:37 p.m.

the best part was when i got an online thing from DHL asking me for feedback about my experience and how they could do better. i put in the comment box- shutting down your business would be a dramatic improvement for everyone using your service.

June 6, 2016, 10:45 a.m.

Let us know how long from order to it showing up at your front door.

Back in the heyday it was 10 calendar days. My recent (and last) untracked option was 25 calendar days.

Just got my package this morning. Ordered it late on the evening of May 19, so call it 17 calendar days (10 business days with the long weekend).

I got dinged for the $9.95 Canada Post handling fee and GST, so I'm 50/50 on that for two CRC orders. Still, the overall savings were worth it.

June 6, 2016, 11:14 a.m.

Just got my package this morning. Ordered it late on the evening of May 19, so call it 17 calendar days (10 business days with the long weekend).

I got dinged for the $9.95 Canada Post handling fee and GST, so I'm 50/50 on that for two CRC orders. Still, the overall savings were worth it.

What do you mean by 50/50? One time having to pay Canada Post and GST and one time not?

June 6, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

Yes. I ordered fenders from CRC two years ago and did not pay the handling fee or GST. They were also delivered in a week.

June 6, 2016, 1:03 p.m.

Yes. I ordered fenders from CRC two years ago and did not pay the handling fee or GST. They were also delivered in a week.

I guess that is one way of looking at it as 50/50. You should assume that if everything goes 'right' you pay the $9.95 and the GST. You should also realistically expect to be paying these fees. You made it sound as if you were surprised/disappointed by having to pay them?

June 6, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

I get that, and, yes, you should take the fee and GST into account when deciding whether or not to place the order. However, it seems obvious that Canada Post is pretty random in how they decide when to charge the handling fee and collect GST. I'd say the odds are higher that they let things slide, at least for duty free items, rather than do things "right", so it is a bit of a surprise (but not one you can complain about) when they do collect.

My experience bringing things back across the border is the same. On Saturday I drove down to Blaine to pick up a new pair of Mavic shoes that I had bought from REI and had delivered to a parcel receiving place. I was in the US for less than 15 minutes, declared the full value of the shoes coming back into Canada, and they waved me through. I've done the same dozens of times for non-bike stuff (when the dollar was at par, and my girls were small, we used to bring back, literally, trunk loads of diapers from diapers.com). I think we paid taxes maybe 10% of the time.

June 9, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

Well that certainly was a pleasant experience: first ever from zee Germans at bike-discount on the 1st, shipped on the second and arrived here in Victoria yesterday (8th) with no taxes or handling added.

June 9, 2016, 8:37 a.m.

Well that certainly was a pleasant experience: first ever from zee Germans at bike-discount on the 1st, shipped on the second and arrived here in Victoria yesterday (8th) with no taxes or handling added.

I have always had a good experience with bikediscount as well. There was a time when there packaging was terrible, but they have since made it much better. To be fair, you are paying 20EU up front in shipping to get it faster than you would if it was going normal mail.

June 9, 2016, 9:13 a.m.

bd rocks. silly cheap.

June 9, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

I get that, and, yes, you should take the fee and GST into account when deciding whether or not to place the order. However, it seems obvious that Canada Post is pretty random in how they decide when to charge the handling fee and collect GST. I'd say the odds are higher that they let things slide, at least for duty free items, rather than do things "right", so it is a bit of a surprise (but not one you can complain about) when they do collect.

My experience bringing things back across the border is the same. On Saturday I drove down to Blaine to pick up a new pair of Mavic shoes that I had bought from REI and had delivered to a parcel receiving place. I was in the US for less than 15 minutes, declared the full value of the shoes coming back into Canada, and they waved me through. I've done the same dozens of times for non-bike stuff (when the dollar was at par, and my girls were small, we used to bring back, literally, trunk loads of diapers from diapers.com). I think we paid taxes maybe 10% of the time.

And if they charge the fee, it is just the taxes. Customs is obligated to clear consumer purchases, unlike business transactions which they make you do the paperwork for.

And most american made bike products only get the GST charged. :)

June 11, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

$172Can ordered payed $23 at the post office.

Not sure if it was worth it. Could have bought most of the stuff from MEC for about the same.

June 11, 2016, 9:25 a.m.

$440 in a big box. No extra money paid.

Luck of the draw I guess.