Do you buy from CRC?

July 1, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

Sweet baby jebus, we now have a choice of Royal mail or DHL.
Just got a notice from CRC, we have been heard.

In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

July 1, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

Yeah just saw that as well… cool… right after I got dinged $17 on a $50 order from those DHL bastards…

July 1, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

Ya I was impressed to see that. I guess they must have a lot of Canadian business to justify the risk.

Cool it was announced on Canada day

July 7, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

Wish I would have read this before placing my $200 order.
The FREE shipping options were Standard Postal (untracked, delivered by Canada Post) or Standard Tracked (no mention of DHL).

So I naturally selected Standard Tracked only to later find out that it was DHL. Hope I don't get dinged with BS fees/charges on delivery.

July 7, 2015, 1:56 p.m.

Wish I would have read this before placing my $200 order.
The FREE shipping options were Standard Postal (untracked, delivered by Canada Post) or Standard Tracked (no mention of DHL).

So I naturally selected Standard Tracked only to later find out that it was DHL. Hope I don't get dinged with BS fees/charges on delivery.

Yep did the same got dinged 13 bucks or so. DHL is fast but at a cost

July 7, 2015, 8:49 p.m.

Just got a shipment from CRC using express service. Arrived on loomis via DHL. Got charged $41.65 on a $158.43 order.

They put down the description as bicycle wheels, so I got charged duty and pst. The first item on the list was stan's valves under 'wheels' which I'm assuming is why it was listed wheels. Other items were rotors and adapters.

Going to try and claim back the duty and pst.

Just thought I'd update…

I had two shipments with incorrect duties/pst to be paid. So I paid them and then sent off the form to claim it back.

I got my 2 cheques in the last couple of weeks, so the system works; it just takes a while.

July 7, 2015, 8:54 p.m.

Just did a B-D.de order as the EUR is so much nicer to us CAD right now.

Showed up on the fifth or sixth business day, only paid GST and $10 handling fee.

July 7, 2015, 9:43 p.m.

Just thought I'd update…

I had two shipments with incorrect duties/pst to be paid. So I paid them and then sent off the form to claim it back.

I got my 2 checks in the last couple of weeks, so the system works; it just takes a while.

Ya it's worth the 5 minutes it takes. I've had no issues getting back what I am due.

July 8, 2015, 11:18 a.m.

Just thought I'd update…

I got my 2 cheques in the last couple of weeks, so the system works; it just takes a while.

What form and mailed to who?

July 8, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

Customs form that should be included on the box. It should explain what all the charges are and gives you all the info you need to get a refund.

July 8, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

Fill this out and follow the instructions

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf

quote this (or the newest version/revision) which explains exemption from BC PST

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_204.pdf

and if you are charged import duty mention that the items a bicycle componets which are all exempt from import duty. The only things that you have to pay import duty on are

1)Compete bicycles
2)Complete wheels

The only thing you should be charged is GST (unless you order a complete bicycle or built-up bicycle wheels).

Sometimes things are mis-categorized by customs. A common one is bike parts labelled as car parts and being tacked with BC PST and import duty.

July 9, 2015, 7:11 a.m.

It helps when you are filling out the form to provide them with the correct HS Code.

I found this to be helpful.

http://vancruisers.ca/Members/bhughes/tech-stuff/importing-bikes-and-parts-to-canada

8712.00.00 - Complete Bikes - 13%
8714.91.10 - Frame lugs, bottom bracket shells, forks, fork tubing sets, fork bearing assemblies, hydraulic shock absorbing cylinders, spring shock absorbers, rear pivots, cable stops, cable guides and back, chain and seat stays - 0%
8714.91.90 - Frames and forks and parts thereof, OTHER than the above - 5%
8714.92.00 - Wheel rims and spokes - 0%
8714.93.00 - Hubs, other than coaster braking hubs and hub brakes plus free-wheel sprocket wheels - 0%
8714.94.00 - Brakes, including coaster braking hubs and hub brakes plus parts thereof - 0%
8714.95.00 - Saddles - 0%
8714.96.00 - Pedals and crank-gear, and parts thereof (I'd put chainrings in here too) - 0%
8714.99.10 - Bicycle wheels (I'm assuming assembled) - 6.5%
8714.99.90 - OTHER bike parts - 0%

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

July 9, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

Fill this out and follow the instructions

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf

quote this (or the newest version/revision) which explains exemption from BC PST

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_204.pdf

and if you are charged import duty mention that the items a bicycle componets which are all exempt from import duty. The only things that you have to pay import duty on are

1)Compete bicycles
2)Complete wheels

The only thing you should be charged is GST (unless you order a complete bicycle or built-up bicycle wheels).

Sometimes things are mis-categorized by customs. A common one is bike parts labelled as car parts and being tacked with BC PST and import duty.

Perfect!

Thanks for the info.

July 10, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

LOL at Canadian cycling distributors

Their shitty business practices will be the death of them.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 16, 2015, 8:32 a.m.

Just got a shipment of tires from Bikediscount.de. 8 tires in total (Magic Mary's, Hans Dampfs and Nobby Nics). Took exactly 2 weeks to my doorstep from time of order. Shipping was ~$25 (flat rate).
No other fees charged. No Canada Post fee, and no GST. That is a bit unusual but not unheard of.

Works out to ~$43/tire.