Do you buy from CRC?

Jan. 13, 2015, 10:48 p.m.

I ordered Sunday night before last, so they'd have order in before start of business on Monday. They didn't ship until Wednesday. Usually they ship right away, especially for an order that's only a few inexpensive and small parts.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 14, 2015, 9:23 a.m.

The Mrs. ordered me some drivetrain parts and a new riding rain jacket for Christmas. I asked her about the duty on the jacket (there was also a pair of shorts she added for a friend). She said package arrived in about 10 days and there were no charges with pickup at local Canada Post.

I ordered some additional drivetrain parts for winter overhauls and they arrived in 8 days with no charges to the local Canada Post.

I say whenever possible, do small orders that hit the free shipping price point at $100 (typically). If you have multiple items that get you increments of $100, break them into individual orders. that way if you do get nailed on something, the consequences are much lower.

Jan. 14, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

Ya I agree WH. Generally my smaller orders go unnoticed. I think the lowest I've been dinged on was an order worth $200, only tax though as it was brakes.

My wheel was $380 and a big box. Easy pickings especially after the busy holidays. If only they charged me properly, looks like they charged me for "automotive".

Jan. 14, 2015, 9:18 p.m.

i have ordered thru Merlin cycle and a company in Germany or Denmark and payed no duties as well

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 4, 2015, 3:20 a.m.

Latest order from CRC was give small items. They took three days to ship it. Arrived 2.5 weeks later. No duty or handling charges. One item I ordered was a bottle of 100 cable ends. Bottle came with 12. I emailed them about that and they said they'd investigate. That was a week ago and I haven't heard back from them.

Not the same service they used to provide.

If you ever need wheel parts, look at BikeHubStore.com. Very good prices and amazing service.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 4, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

…Not the same service they used to provide.

My experience is much different. I ordered a few items (chains, brake pads) which were dispatched Jan. 2. As of end of last week still hadn't received it. I checked my local Canada Post depot to see if they had it or if it was out for delivery but no luck. I contacted CRC about the lost package and they offered to resend the items the next day.

That's pretty good service. I've never had issues with CRC and that's after spending over $1,000 in 2014.

Feb. 5, 2015, 5:02 a.m.

So I got a response:

_With reference to the incorrect item you received on order xxxx-xxxxxx

We have created a replacement order yyyy-yyyyyy which is being processed and will be dispatched soon. Please be aware that this replacement order will not appear on your online account. As the item is such a low value please keep it with our compliments.

I hope this sorts the problem for you._

How nice of them to actually fill my order and then make it sound like they are doing me a favour. 88 cable ends that could easily fit in an envelope…

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Feb. 5, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

I'm actually impressed in their approach to incorrect or missing orders. I can't think of many other discount online places that dispatch a replacement order right away and then ask that you send back the other one when you get a chance or the duplicate one if it shows up.

Feb. 12, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

I just got my Reverb Stealth and it got dinged for $29 which is perfectly fine. Free shipping was quick and painless.

Feb. 12, 2015, 11:21 p.m.

Front and rear set of SLX brakes with finned pads, $135 to my door in 10 days, escaped the tax man :D Cheaper than buying used on Ebay believe it or not

Feb. 13, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

Ordered some brakes, chain, pedals, and some small bits on Feb 2. Order arrived Feb 12. Charged GST, $10 handling fee, and $28 duty. CBSA identified items as "vehicle." Sent in a refund request on the duty.

Feb. 18, 2015, 9:10 p.m.

Latest order from CRC was give small items. They took three days to ship it. Arrived 2.5 weeks later. No duty or handling charges. One item I ordered was a bottle of 100 cable ends. Bottle came with 12. I emailed them about that and they said they'd investigate. That was a week ago and I haven't heard back from them.

Today I received the missing part of my order. So the shipping time was slower then usual but overall I'm happy with the service.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Feb. 19, 2015, 2:10 p.m.

did you count it?

Feb. 19, 2015, 3:06 p.m.

Of course.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 9, 2015, 7:28 p.m.

Just got a shipment of parts in (10-speed chain/derailleur, brake pads, reverb post, Maxxis Highroller tires) - got charged for GST, no PST (bike parts exempt in BC). Good job, CBSA - doing your job. I respect that.

BUT - they charged me 13% complete bike tariff ($67) even though all bike parts are exempt from import taxes (with the exception of frames and built wheels - 5% and 6.5% respectively). I'm pretty sure the box was opened and inspected from the crappy tape job on it. So they looked and saw it wasn't a complete bike.

Why do they do this? In the past I've been nailed for 7% PST on built wheels (wrong! - there is no PST on bike wheels in BC) but not the 6.5% built wheel import duty. Its like they apply the laws selectively without knowing which rule applies to what. And they do this for a living. Me? I'll be filing for a $67.72 refund along with CRC's Commercial invoice and customs declaration.