Do you buy from CRC?

March 24, 2014, 12:20 p.m.

$300 for 1500g wheels that are strong.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 24, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

I used to order a bunch of stuff from CRC. They've become slower and less reliable lately and it's hard to return stuff because shipping to the UK is relatively high.

I've switched most of my online shopping to Jenson. Fast [like the next day sometimes], decent prices and hassle free returns.

March 24, 2014, 1:45 p.m.

Jenson is good, and Pricepoint is sometimes good. They sometimes lack stock.

Ribble is another good online retailer. UK based and very good prices. More roadie parts than MTB parts.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 24, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

If I need a bunch of Shimano stuff, CRC is almost impossible to beat. Other places I use are Jenson (very good at price matching) and Universal (15% off anything over $300). I ship Jenson and Universal orders to the border and pick them up. Saves on shipping and more often than not, on tax as well.

March 24, 2014, 2:26 p.m.

I've used CRC a few times with zero issues. Just a warning, some of the euro clothing fits a bit small (my much skinnier buddy ended up with a nice new Cinelli t shirt that I couldn't squeeze into). I've used Universal and Pricepoint more recently. They're prices on most things seem to have become more in line with CRC lately.

I actually just received a few goodies last Friday from Pricepoint. Mostly tools but I also ordered an X9 Type 2 derailleur. No duty, $22 in tax needed to be paid at the time of delivery on a $350 order. The derailleur was $100. A local shop quoted $160.

March 25, 2014, 4:59 p.m.

So my latest CRC experience. I needed to order a few hundred dollars worth of stuff and since they had a $17 off if you spend over $100, I thought I'd break the order into 2 and see how things went. In my experience the smaller the order the greater the chance it just goes straight to my mailbox. So I ordered on the 19th and one box showed up to my mail box today with no charges and there is also a pickup sheet and it says I have $17 in charges for the other box that will be ready for pick up tomorrow. $10 to handle it I'm sure and $7 in tax. I thought 7 days was pretty good. "cool story bro"….not so sure, but it would seem things are pretty random for the people down at CBSA.

March 25, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

Canada Post will charge about $10 handling and GST.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

March 25, 2014, 11:54 p.m.

I have heard of a few people using https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/ from Kelowna…good prices on Shimano stuf and you don't have to mess with brokerage or anything like that.

I have been dinged a few times with brokerage fees but after getting smart and asking to send stuff with USPS it has only happened once, and even if you do get charged it's way less than what you would have been charged via a courier.

March 26, 2014, 3:38 a.m.

MOst Uk based buyers in the know buy shimano stuffs from rosebikes.com. Don't know if they ship to Canada, but they were cheaper than CRC a while back.

March 26, 2014, 10:19 a.m.

I have heard of a few people using https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/ from Kelowna…good prices on Shimano stuf and you don't have to mess with brokerage or anything like that.

I have been dinged a few times with brokerage fees but after getting smart and asking to send stuff with USPS it has only happened once, and even if you do get charged it's way less than what you would have been charged via a courier.

I'll second TBS Bike Parts as a good local internet option… good prices and fast shipping.

March 26, 2014, 1:01 p.m.

now the weak Canadian dollar is reaming us UPS-style

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 26, 2014, 6:18 p.m.

Lately my crc orders have taken a little longer to arrive than in the past. Been waiting on some slx brakes for 3 weeks now.

If I need something now like a chain or brake pads I avoid buying online. If I have the luxury of time I don't mind the wait.

May 26, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

fill this out
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf

bada bing bada boom…..its usually about that easy.

Woohoo … got a $48 PST refund. You can reference

Bulletin PST 204 (or whatever is most current)

"You do not charge your customer PST when you sell or install replacement parts specifically designed for non-motorized bicycles or qualifying non-motorizedtricycles, such as:
frame and fork sets,
handle bar stems, tape, rim tape, grips and end plugs,
wheels, tubes, tires and brake assemblies, seats, fenders and shock absorbers,
and
pedal, chain and gear, and chain guard assemblies
"

You will need the shipper's manifest with the shipment number …

UPS are morons … I asked them 4 times to email me the manifest, you would think it would be a routine thing. It never came. I finally asked them to fax it to me. They sent me a 120 faxed pages of Jenson USA customer shipments to BC - names, addresses, everthing. Luckily mine was included in there. Should I go public with it?

May 27, 2014, 7:33 a.m.

I have bought a few things at CRC always 50% cheaper than here in BC.I
I just got custom wheel set hope pro2 eve hubs ,wtb team i23 rims with comp dt dbl butted spokes and locking nipples.600.00 plus 20for shipped expedited .20 $ tax
Wow…
That said I buy all my small stuff from LBS's. I feel a little guilty but I have always built my own bikes so thats the ways it is. AS it stands I have a bike worth 5k that cost me half that..

May 27, 2014, 9:01 a.m.

UPS are morons … I asked them 4 times to email me the manifest, you would think it would be a routine thing. It never came. I finally asked them to fax it to me. They sent me a 120 faxed pages of Jenson USA customer shipments to BC - names, addresses, everthing. Luckily mine was included in there. Should I go public with it?

Ouch, seems a little petty, no? You should fax them back 120 pages of your ass.

australia was actually founded by criminals and its original purpose was for england to send over its criminals so the brits wouldnt have to deal with them in England, minding this was over 100 yrs ago.