Do you buy from CRC?

June 24, 2013, 11:50 p.m.

I like Pricepoint, I've used them quite a bit.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

June 25, 2013, 10:17 a.m.

This. It's not just bikes we are getting overcharged on. Car pricing makes no sense, so a lot of Canadians have purchased from the US, and pricing at dealerships has adjusted (somewhat).

That's not really the case anymore.
Most Canadian car companies have been able to come a lot closer to the US pricing in the last half decade. When I was buying my Tundra in 2010 I could have saved about $2k going through the US. Same goes for my Odyssey in 2011, about a $1800 savings. The problem is that cross border warranties are a reimburse system these days, along with the dominant Imperial guages and lack of daytime running lights. All said and done, it's no longer worth going to the US for most new vehicles.

Try Price Point. They ship USPS, and often have pricing as good or better than Jenson.

+1 for pricepoint and multi-quoting switch.

:coo:

June 25, 2013, 9:15 p.m.

USPS only. No brokerage.

June 25, 2013, 11:29 p.m.

That's not really the case anymore.
Most Canadian car companies have been able to come a lot closer to the US pricing in the last half decade. When I was buying my Tundra in 2010 I could have saved about $2k going through the US. Same goes for my Odyssey in 2011, about a $1800 savings. The problem is that cross border warranties are a reimburse system these days, along with the dominant Imperial guages and lack of daytime running lights. All said and done, it's no longer worth going to the US for most new vehicles.

I looked at a Lexus RX350/RX400 and it was about 8K to 10K cheaper. Same with Honda Pilot. Brokers take a few thousand, so if you want to save money then doing the RIV work yourself saves. MSRP pricing in US is online, and if you get out of expensive areas (Seattle) you can buy for less.

DRL are much more common on US cars. They're finally realizing that it doesn't waste that much gas… :rolleyes:

+1 for pricepoint and multi-quoting switch.

:coo:

Multi-quoting is serious business.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 26, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

I believe buying from JensonUSA, air express UPS/Fedex shipping is mandatory, which includes the brokerage fees. So IF your package ends up getting taxed, you are only paying the tax/duty applicable and no other fees, and your package arrives in 2-3 days as well.

With air shipments, brokerage is always built into the shipping cost. So sometimes its cheaper than ground.

Jenson includes tax, duty, and brokerage in their shipping price even for ground shipping. Its a good feature.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 23, 2014, 4:51 p.m.

Ordered prebuilt wheelset from CRC. I'm not complaining (the price was 30% what it would cost in Canada), but just noting that Canada Border Services is totally clueless about import duties, taxes and regulations. I was charged PST and GST (12% tariff). OK, that's fine. But if you look at the rules, the GST is kosher. But there is no PST on all parts that are essential according to the Government of BC Bulletin PST 204, April 23, 2013:

_Parts are items that are essential to the basic functioning of the non-motorized bicycle or qualifying non-motorized tricycle. You do not charge your customer PST when you sell or install replacement parts specifically designed for non-motorized bicycles or qualifying non-motorized tricycles Bicycles and Tricycles … including wheels, tubes, tires …. _

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_204.pdf

Now they should have charged me the 6.5% according to Customs Tariff #8714.99.10 which is the tariff on "bicycle wheels"

Seems like the import taxation system is arbitrarily enforced and not even properly understood by Canada Border Services.

March 23, 2014, 5:10 p.m.

built my entire bike out of CRC saved at least $1000. best deal were on anything Shimano.

wasn't charged duty or anything extra on anything

March 23, 2014, 5:11 p.m.

^I wouldn't doubt that they rock an unwritten rule, when unsure, to charge whatever MAY apply….rather than let stuff go by uncharged and catch shit for it later by the boss.
"Shoot'em all and let God sort'em out." mentality.

March 23, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

Order the wheel in parts and build them yourself.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 23, 2014, 5:39 p.m.

Ordered prebuilt wheelset from CRC. I'm not complaining (the price was 30% what it would cost in Canada), but just noting that Canada Border Services is totally clueless about import duties, taxes and regulations. I was charged PST and GST (12% tariff). OK, that's fine. But if you look at the rules, the GST is kosher. But there is no PST on all parts that are essential according to the Government of BC Bulletin PST 204, April 23, 2013:

_Parts are items that are essential to the basic functioning of the non-motorized bicycle or qualifying non-motorized tricycle. You do not charge your customer PST when you sell or install replacement parts specifically designed for non-motorized bicycles or qualifying non-motorized tricycles Bicycles and Tricycles … including wheels, tubes, tires …. _

Now they should have charged me the 6.5% according to Customs Tariff #8714.99.10 which is the tariff on "bicycle wheels"

Seems like the import taxation system is arbitrarily enforced and not even properly understood by Canada Border Services.

I've been charged an inappropriate amount of duty on bike parts when I ordered from CRC in the past. One phone call to border services was all it took to realize those guys don't have a fucking clue so, on the advice of another board member I returned the product to CRC, re-ordered and the second time around wasn't charged any duty.

Just a heads up for anyone

March 23, 2014, 6:52 p.m.

I had the duty for a full bike (13%) applied to a wheel from DHL and all the parts in the box. Simple claim, but took time to get my money back. Had nothing to do with CRC , just the airhead importer not reading invoice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

March 23, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

fill this out
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf

bada bing bada boom…..its usually about that easy.

March 23, 2014, 8:18 p.m.

fill this out
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf

bada bing bada boom…..its usually about that easy.

Yep, and then wait, and wait, and wait. It takes a while to process.

March 23, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

As long as my money is making its way back to me, im ok with that.

In the 6 or so times we've had to do it the wait has been 3 or 4 weeks.

When crossing the border with bike parts and they miss charge me, I dont even question them as its just easier to apply for the refund later.

March 24, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

Order the wheel in parts and build them yourself.

The built wheels were ridiculously cheap - the cost of buying hubs, spokes and rims would have been more. I used to build wheels, but now my time is worth a lot more $$$.

^I wouldn't doubt that they rock an unwritten rule, when unsure, to charge whatever MAY apply….rather than let stuff go by uncharged and catch shit for it later by the boss.
"Shoot'em all and let God sort'em out." mentality.

But by that logic, I should have been charged an extra 6.5% tariff on built wheels. Also, I almost never get charged with taxes when I order online. I think the shipment was noticed because of the big box and the random check kicked in.