Do you buy from CRC?

June 22, 2013, 8:41 a.m.

My LBS messed up and wasted my time again yesterday. It's like they don't realize there's an internet with competition out there. Quoted me a week and a half to get a part. CRC can get it here in that same time, for cheaper. Plus they have all the colors of the rainbow.

It's like the LBS is banging their own nails into the coffin.

some of them get it, some certainly don't. and it's a shock in this era for those that don't. i would never be douchy enough to say it directly to them, but hell don't they get it- THE INTERNET LBS IS GONNA KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T WISE UP.

having said that i still buy more locally than on the net, but there's no guarantee that will continue to be the case.

Only paid $250 shipped no duty for my reverb post!!

Genuine question here: In this small example, when Canadian shop cost on the Reverb is $250, how does the LBS "wise up"?

Ride, don't slide.

June 22, 2013, 10:48 a.m.

Genuine question here: In this small example, when Canadian shop cost on the Reverb is $250, how does the LBS "wise up"?

travel back in time, do the same CRC did

June 22, 2013, 10:51 a.m.

how about they try harder?
maybe learn to ask the right questions, then they can focus on getting back to me when they say they will. I bought bearings from an lbs and they cost double what was quoted. Not only that, but the guy had me waiting for almost an hour because nobody labeled the bag when the parts came in. Not to mention, nobody called me when the parts arrived. I called 3 days after the shop said they would call me and told me the parts were waiting.

it's a joke sometimes. Service is one place most shops can " wise up". not just lip service, or bro service, I'm talking about the new customer working through the door.

June 22, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Maybe stop listing it at $450 then? When I come into a shop and say, "How much is a Reverb?", and they say, "Not in stock, but we can get you one in a week or two for $450.", I'm going to turn right around leave because ordering it online will get it to me as fast and for a lot less money.

The other option is for the bike shops to start pressuring their distributors. You think I'm going to pay Cdn MSRP on a new fork when I can get the same thing across the line for $300 less?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 22, 2013, 12:35 p.m.

Maybe stop listing it at $450 then? When I come into a shop and say, "How much is a Reverb?", and they say, "Not in stock, but we can get you one in a week or two for $450.", I'm going to turn right around leave because ordering it online will get it to me as fast and for a lot less money.

The other option is for the bike shops to start pressuring their distributors. You think I'm going to pay Cdn MSRP on a new fork when I can get the same thing across the line for $300 less?

This. It's not just bikes we are getting overcharged on. Car pricing makes no sense, so a lot of Canadians have purchased from the US, and pricing at dealerships has adjusted (somewhat).

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 22, 2013, 12:51 p.m.

This. It's not just bikes we are getting overcharged on. Car pricing makes no sense, so a lot of Canadians have purchased from the US, and pricing at dealerships has adjusted (somewhat).

We pretty much get raped for everything in this country.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 22, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

We pretty much get raped for everything in this country.

blueberries were a lot cheaper though ;)

June 24, 2013, 11:20 a.m.

I have never understood the "list price iof we order it in, discount if it's on the shelf" mentality. Surely I should pay a premium for the convenience of walking out with my part, and get a discount if the shop has no risk or stock-holding cost of a special order? I would pay up front when they order, same as for an online order.

Cheers Ben

June 24, 2013, 11:22 a.m.

No, the brokerage fee is not something the Canadian government charges. It is a fee for processing paperwork that UPS charges. The customs agent charge customs and applicable sales taxes.

I believe the flow goes:
Canadian customs decides which package to charge tax/duty on -[HTML_REMOVED] UPS/Fedex proceed and do the paperwork and pay the tax/duty on your behalf in advance to clear the package with customs -[HTML_REMOVED] item gets delivered to you along with the tax/duty they paid and brokerage to cover their 'administrative' costs, which are rather excessive

So while Canada customs does not charge the brokerage fee, they determine whether there will be one in the first place or not. FWIW Canada Post also charges a brokerage fee, but its only $8.00 which is reasonable.

If you want to get around courier brokerage, you can call UPS/Fedex ahead of package delivery and tell them you will clear customs yourself. You drive down to the airport, pick up your package and fill out some forms then pay your tax/duty. Then you're on your merry way. Personally I just have my US shipped packages sent to Point Roberts or Blaine and drive down to pick it up every few weeks, grab some cheap gas, and usually don't end up paying any tax at all. I don't order much from CRC or Europe, of the 3 ocassions I've been taxed once with Canada Post shipping. I also assume I'll get taxed when I order online, so when I get stuff delivered tax free, it's an extra bonus :)

June 24, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

To reiterate what someone said earlier Jenson USA is really good for pricing and shipping to Canada. On my last build (XTR) I found that some things were cheaper than CRC while others not. The shipping is great. They charge you for everything upfront and UPS delivers to your door the next day (in Vancouver at least). In my experience the shipping is reasonable and it takes the unknown costs out of the equation.

June 24, 2013, 2:31 p.m.

To reiterate what someone said earlier Jenson USA is really good for pricing and shipping to Canada. On my last build (XTR) I found that some things were cheaper than CRC while others not. The shipping is great. They charge you for everything upfront and UPS delivers to your door the next day (in Vancouver at least). In my experience the shipping is reasonable and it takes the unknown costs out of the equation.

I have found UPS to be perfectly willing to assrape on shipments from the US. I look for USPS or pick up at the border.

I had read previously about the ability to self clear customs and avoid the UPS fees, not sure where that's at these days but a drive to Hagens is worth it most of the time.

Cheers Ben

June 24, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

I have found UPS to be perfectly willing to assrape on shipments from the US. I look for USPS or pick up at the border.

n

Noticed that over the years. Fees and such are way cheaper coming from the UK then if it came from the US.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 24, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

I believe buying from JensonUSA, air express UPS/Fedex shipping is mandatory, which includes the brokerage fees. So IF your package ends up getting taxed, you are only paying the tax/duty applicable and no other fees, and your package arrives in 2-3 days as well.

June 24, 2013, 10:14 p.m.

Maybe the Canadian bike shop cartel successfully lobbied international shipping companies into charging huge brokerage fees and taxes to e-shoppers on imported bikes [HTML_REMOVED] parts to maintain the status quo?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 24, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

Try Price Point. They ship USPS, and often have pricing as good or better than Jenson.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells