Do you buy from CRC?

June 21, 2013, 6:43 a.m.

Return them to Shimano for credit? Then maybe Shimano can have some stock to service their LBS accounts…

When does that ever happen? If your shop doesn't sell all its bikes during the season, will [insert any number of manufacturers] just take the bikes back? Hell no….you just have to unload them for whatever price you can get, and I don't suppose that you are too fussy about who buys them.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 21, 2013, 11:36 a.m.

When does that ever happen? If your shop doesn't sell all its bikes during the season, will [insert any number of manufacturers] just take the bikes back? Hell no….you just have to unload them for whatever price you can get, and I don't suppose that you are too fussy about who buys them.

Return them to Shimano for credit? Then maybe Shimano can have some stock to service their LBS accounts…

man, you think the bike industry is fucked in it's current state?
if shops and distributors could just return stuff if it didn't sell, you can probably double the price on current product.

June 21, 2013, 11:46 a.m.

Er, I don't know about in Canada, but certainly in the UK this can happen. It's called 'sale or return' and tends to happen with some of the boutique brands. It encourages the shop to promote the brand by allowing customers to check out the product in person, but avoids them having to stock every permutation of size/colour available.

June 21, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

@big-ted

it does happen in the UK, but generally only on brands that shops are not confident in retailing because the brand is either offering poor credit terms, or more likely does not have enough market exposure / traction to drive healthy sales

this risks the shop tying up precious resources in unwanted stock or servicing another debt account, when established brands with constant turn over are safe bets

regarding Shimano, they do dump excess OE stock (especially from their plant in Malaysia i.e. the more affordable groupset lines in road and mtn) into the aftermarket through the usual suspects, anyone that thinks otherwise is naive, despite the "official" company line ;)

companies have bills to pay, and nothing speaks louder than hard cash (or bank transfers!). the official line is spoken because to admit otherwise just upsets their established distribution partners and their retailers, but its more of a knuckle rap than anything more serious like account closures

June 21, 2013, noon

Thats true, we don't/can't return bikes, and we're not too fussed about who buys them if we have to drop the price.

However if we have overstock on parts and accessories that are a carry over item, we have definitely exchanged stuff that wasn't selling for stuff that was.

To be fair this would be less than 10 items to return versus what an OEM customer would be looking to return…

Ride, don't slide.

June 21, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

Shops here do on occasion have "stock" that they can return. It's almost like consignment and is exactly as someone said, high end stuff that the shop does not want to stock because it may not sell but the distributor asks them to in this way. That way the stuff is on the shelves where it might sell as opposed to being in a warehouse where it won't. Limited risk to the shop other than taking up space.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 21, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

Just received some gear from the states, that was unexpectedly shipped via UPS. Talk about a double kick to the nuts.

Gear cost $225, brokerage and taxes $85 f([HTML_REMOVED]%([HTML_REMOVED])(*_)+(+[HTML_REMOVED]^%ing dollars.

Where the hell do I sign up for this class action lawsuit against UPS!!!!!!!!

FCUK am I pissed.

I believe you sign your name on their tires with a knife

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 21, 2013, 5:44 p.m.

Just picked up my full xt drivetrain from post office and was happy to see all in original shiamano packaging. It feels like xmas with all these shiny new parts….time to start my build

June 21, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

I've ordered from CRC a dozen times or so and was only charged duty once; since the border services worker read the value wrong and charged me a few hundred dollars duty I refused the package and had it sent back to CRC.

Ordered the same parts a few weeks later and they arrived without duty attached 7 days later.

June 21, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

^^that's a win for the lil guy. good on ya
picked up my order today with an assortment of goodies. 12 days no duty or tax. last day for parts added discounts today so put in an order for my 1x 10 clutch things to go with my thick thin rf 30t. royal mail- can post ftw

June 21, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

I use CRC all the time only once had to pay for delivery and nailed duty once when I ordered my five tens… I`ve ordered wire bead De Barons and had to pick them up at the post office but no duty! just got my Hans Damp folding tires delivered yesterday and again no duty and regular post to my door!!!

Not the case for everyone not sure why but one guy I know had to pay duty on his tires :/

The one time I had to pay delivery was when I ordered bars 31`s and they didn't fit the smaller box so they put them in an over sized box that was just a little to big for regular post so I got nailed by UPS for duty and tax….

Not sure why the huge wire bead tires that came wrapped in a large garbage bag slipped through, win some loss some mostly large wins with CRC….

Only paid $250 shipped no duty for my reverb post!!

Live to ride another day, Keep it safe :]

June 21, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

The whole duty thing I suspect has less to do with CRC's methods. But depends on which Customs officer you have handling your shipment on that day. So the guy who let your present shipment no problem and didn't care. A different guy on your next shipment is more anal.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 21, 2013, 10:26 p.m.

I believe you sign your name on their tires with a knife

Ive been through the brokerage thing and believe me its the Canadian Border that charges you the brokerage fee, as UPS and the others has to pay them!!!

What a scam but hey that`s our government hard at work stealing as usual as it has always been…

Live to ride another day, Keep it safe :]

June 21, 2013, 11:12 p.m.

First rule of online shopping,never,ever,ever,talk about shopping online!

FYP ;)

yeah, I think it really is.

I've bought 2 pair of shoes on 2 different orders. One got charged a fee the other didn't. The one that got the fee was still 40% cheaper than anything I could find locally.

I just ordered some boots for someone. They came separate from the rest of the order, and there was duty applied. Price after GST/PST, duty, and handling was still 80% of the best price in town (before taxes).

The whole duty thing I suspect has less to do with CRC's methods. But depends on which Customs officer you have handling your shipment on that day. So the guy who let your present shipment no problem and didn't care. A different guy on your next shipment is more anal.

They need to clearly label that the parts are bike parts. If they don't, you're in for trouble. If they don't ship Canada Post (i.e. USPS from the USA), it's a crap shoot.

For certain parts, there are better online stores than CRC. Just did a $580 order and paid $38 for tax and handling. Example prices:
Continental GP4000S tire - $35
Shimano 5700 Compact Cranks/rings: $132
Shimano 5700 BB cups: $16

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 21, 2013, 11:23 p.m.

Ive been through the brokerage thing and believe me its the Canadian Border that charges you the brokerage fee, as UPS and the others has to pay them!!!

What a scam but hey that`s our government hard at work stealing as usual as it has always been…

No, the brokerage fee is not something the Canadian government charges. It is a fee for processing paperwork that UPS charges. The customs agent charge customs and applicable sales taxes.