Do you buy from CRC?

June 20, 2013, 9:47 a.m.

i don't think thats the reason, as the crc shimano prices are still expensive compaired to the german shimano prices. and the german online shops are way smaller than crc, yet they are cheaper.

I've bought Shimano stuff from Germany, I don't even check CRC. Freight can add up so you always have to work it into the spreadsheet.

June 20, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

I've mostly had good luck from CRC in regards to duty and good shipping times and customer service. I had one warranty item that was dealt with quickly and effectively… they didn't even make me send the wrong part back, as it would have cost both me and them more to ship and process. The express posted me the warranty part, clearly marked "warranty" to avoid any duty issues.

If making a big order (like when I was building the kids' 24" bikes for xmas), I always split the orders since CRC's shipping is free over $100. Smaller orders nearly always go via post rather than courier. Certain large objects like frames and wheelsets may go via courier. So by splitting your order, you limit your exposure of the whole shipment being charged duty or taxed as a "full bike" or if a single item of clothing is included.

I just placed an order yesterday for $200 of mostly parts and spine guards for the kids for park days. I got shipping notice today and it thankfully went via post. we'll see if body armour gets hit for any duty charges. But at $55 cdn for the spine guards, even with duty it: a. beats significantly any other online pricing; and b. gets me youth protection that I couldn't even find at my LBS's. Fingers crossed.

June 20, 2013, 10:23 a.m.

I got some grey market SRAM stuff from CRC and I've got some proper shimano stuff as well. While I'm positive there is some grey market (resale of OEM intended stuffs) shimano stuff its only a portion of their shimano stock. If you look at the pricing its still higher than shop cost on most things so if they are dealing direct they are still making a decent profit. Their business model is just a hell of a lot more cost effective. Also a huge online retailer model is super effective when you are dealing with a market so heavily fragmented by wheel size and other standards with customers that will only settle for the brand and model they decided to be best.

June 20, 2013, 11:01 a.m.

Here we go again. I know it feels like November outside, but we should really keep the CRC discussions for the winter months.

June 20, 2013, 11:17 a.m.

Playing Devils Advocate here, but what are the manufacturers meant to do with over-stock that they don't need? Give XTR cranks to starving Africans?

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 20, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Jenson… specific shipping instructions and details and all in pricing (shipping, taxes, duties) designed to serve Canadian customers. no surprises, no question marks or bs, just the goods and final price.

this is probably the best way to deal with the brokerage crap - push online retailers to build all fees into the shipping cost. You can be damn sure they'll get that $30 brokerage fee down [HTML_REMOVED] $10.

I notice that there has been a class action suit in BC over UPS's brokerage

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 20, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

Playing Devils Advocate here, but what are the manufacturers meant to do with over-stock that they don't need? Give XTR cranks to starving Africans?

Return them to Shimano for credit? Then maybe Shimano can have some stock to service their LBS accounts…

Ride, don't slide.

June 20, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

I notice that there has been a class action suit in BC over UPS's brokerage

Whilst we are bitching about UPS, I bought a cheap bluetooth GPS from a US company off eBay once.

The eBay price included the postage costs so when the parcel turned up with a UPS brokerage fee attached, I refused to accept the parcel [HTML_REMOVED] phoned up the company threatening negative eBay feedback…

They refunded me the equivalent of the brokerage fee so I came out even but the supplier has had their profit eaten by UPS….

June 20, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

Return them to Shimano for credit? Then maybe Shimano can have some stock to service their LBS accounts…

My LBS messed up and wasted my time again yesterday. It's like they don't realize there's an internet with competition out there. Quoted me a week and a half to get a part. CRC can get it here in that same time, for cheaper. Plus they have all the colors of the rainbow.

It's like the LBS is banging their own nails into the coffin.

June 20, 2013, 3:34 p.m.

^ your LBS should know how much you like rainbows by now!

June 20, 2013, 4:29 p.m.

Here we go again. I know it feels like November outside, but we should really keep the CRC discussions for the winter months.

or never
cause it's the same conversation over and over again

June 20, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

or never
cause it's the same conversation over and over again

Fair enough. I apologize for turning this into a CRC vs LBS thread. Carry on.

Ride, don't slide.

June 20, 2013, 5:50 p.m.

placed an order 10 days ago and another 5 days ago. both have arrived this morning. got charged $15.00 on one and nothing on the other.

June 20, 2013, 5:54 p.m.

Fair enough. I apologize for turning this into a CRC vs LBS thread. Carry on.

No need to apologize, it sucks all around.

Executive Summary:

1) Shimano Canada should be kicked in the nuts
2) DHL, FedEX, UPS should DIE IN A FUCKING FIRE
3) DHL, FedEX, UPS should DIE IN A FUCKING FIRE
4) DHL, FedEX, UPS should DIE IN A FUCKING FIRE
5) DHL, FedEX, UPS should DIE IN A FUCKING FIRE

June 20, 2013, 9:58 p.m.

Just received some gear from the states, that was unexpectedly shipped via UPS. Talk about a double kick to the nuts.

Gear cost $225, brokerage and taxes $85 f([HTML_REMOVED]%([HTML_REMOVED])(*_)+(+[HTML_REMOVED]^%ing dollars.

Where the hell do I sign up for this class action lawsuit against UPS!!!!!!!!

FCUK am I pissed.