Do you buy from CRC?

June 19, 2013, 1:47 p.m.

If so, never, EVER NEVER use the DHL shipping option.

Sure you get it five days quicker, but they assrape you worse than UPS ever does.

I will take whatever action I can from here on in to bankrupt that company.

June 19, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

If so, never, EVER NEVER use the DHL shipping option.

Sure you get it five days quicker, but they assrape you worse than UPS ever does.

I will take whatever action I can from here on in to bankrupt that company.

Tell me about it.

Bought something a few days ago.
I didn't choose DHL though, but that's what CRC used.
31$ in broker fees..

I called DHL to dispute the charges, but couldn't do anything.
Told them I would never use them again.

June 19, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

On the plus side, you save so much money not buying from local bike shops that brokerage fees shouldn't matter at all!

:S

Ride, don't slide.

June 19, 2013, 2:18 p.m.

On the plus side, you save so much money not buying from local bike shops that brokerage fees shouldn't matter at all!

:S

When it comes to Shimano :/

I was talking to a VP of a certain Canadian bike company about CRC and Shimano. They once couldn't get the parts for a run of bikes from Shimano Canada, so they ended up buying it all from CRC and got it cheaper FFS.

I buy local when it's within 30%, but 50% difference is a lot to swallow.

June 19, 2013, 2:42 p.m.

I've purchased stuff from crc, universal, excel and aspire velotech.

With crc the two things to remember is 1) no clothing shoes: apparel of any kind. That's where you get tagged with huge duty. 2) order free shipping and let them sort it out. On some occasions you will pay tax on others not. Always assume you will.

In general I found crc excellent for Shimano stuff (as mentioned) and slowish but I didn't need it right away.

Best time to buy from them is November. Best deals, best shipping.

June 19, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

ReductiMat,my condolences. I have felt the "UPS Touch"…Bastards!

First rule of online shopping,never,ever,ever,use ANY courier company. Post office all the way. I know someone on here will disagree but it is the only option.

I use the "standard $9.99 shipping" for less than $100,FREE for more than $100. I usually order on a Sunday Pacific Time [HTML_REMOVED] receive my order 8 days later. The first couple of orders went thru Canada Customs but I got such a good deal that the $8 handling fee/HST was only a minor annoyance. Last couple of orders have sailed thru,no Customs. I snagged shiny new 36 hole Mavic EX729s for $61 a piece (had a 10 pound coupon) delivered to my door! Loves me some CRC!

June 19, 2013, 2:47 p.m.

I think I've been charged once when they go Parcel Force or Royal Mail. This time I figured I'd drop some extra coin to get it quick… bad fucking mistake.

June 19, 2013, 3:06 p.m.

When it comes to Shimano :/

Fair enough. It's not lost on the LBS's out there though. I know we've vocalized our concerns to Shimano, and other distributors, when we see serious pricing discrepancies.

I was talking to a VP of a certain Canadian bike company about CRC and Shimano. They once couldn't get the parts for a run of bikes from Shimano Canada, so they ended up buying it all from CRC and got it cheaper FFS.

Really? I heard CRC has policies in place to prevent bulk buying… Maybe we should set up a shop account with them! ;)

Ride, don't slide.

June 19, 2013, 3:27 p.m.

Why would shimano stop selling to a successful distributor. They have such a strong position in the market shops can't really boycott their stuff and they get an edge in online sales. Just kicks ass for savy shoppers.

June 19, 2013, 3:33 p.m.

You have to be careful about products where there is a low cost shitty version. Bought some Conti black chili tires as the site said and got the made in India plastic rubber version. They were cheap enough that they will be fine for putting on the bike when I sell it, but I am pretty sure I don't want to try them. That turned me off big time. Duty and taxes seem to be at the whim of whomever. I bought some clothing that was the wrong size, sold it to a friend and bought the same thing only smaller. Duty and taxes on one, none on the other. Same shipping method and one was 5 days the other three weeks. Weird. Good for things that you don't need quickly or can't get here.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 19, 2013, 4:34 p.m.

I called DHL to dispute the charges, but couldn't do anything.
Told them I would never use them again.

Thats the thing - they all do it, UPS, FedEx, DHL. They collude on those charges so that you don't have many options (other than Canada Post type stuff). It costs them a couple bucks per entry and they make huge profits on this part of the biz. $8 from Canada Post is about right, and that's coming from a bloated inefficient gov't agency.

I currently owe FedEx $20 for brokerage and I have no intention of paying until I am absolutely forced to use them again.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 19, 2013, 4:45 p.m.

Really? I heard CRC has policies in place to prevent bulk buying… Maybe we should set up a shop account with them! ;)

It was for a small run, but they still needed hundreds of the part yet they still got them.

As for setting up a shop account.. no kidding. Something is really fucked up there and I'd be pissed at Shimano Canada.

June 19, 2013, 5:05 p.m.

Why would shimano stop selling to a successful distributor. They have such a strong position in the market shops can't really boycott their stuff and they get an edge in online sales. Just kicks ass for savy shoppers.

I think that's the problem. Shimano doesn't sell directly to CRC. My understanding is that CRC buys OEM equipment from bike manufacturers that have excess parts after a production run. I've seen parts come with OEM packaging (ie: plastic bag) or CRC's own packaging. It's how the pricing is so good.

Ride, don't slide.

June 19, 2013, 5:08 p.m.

same here. couple orders ago thought i'd get it quicker . courier was slower and got tagged with the fees. next order just went back to reg free. 5 days and no fees. perfect . next order it should have been the reg royal mail- can post but for some reason they sent it courier. I had given my po box and courier doesn't deliver to po boxes so after the several days it took me to figure that out it took the couriers(yes plural) several days to get that sorted. 3 weeks later all good except those fees. latest order is at 10 days but has some clothes in thereso that might be the issue there. i'd like to work with the lbs and am willing to pay a bit more and I've expressed that a few times but its tiring "expressing" that every time.

June 19, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

It was for a small run, but they still needed hundreds of the part yet they still got them.

As for setting up a shop account.. no kidding. Something is really fucked up there and I'd be pissed at Shimano Canada.

CRC likely sells more Shimano goods than all Canadian LBS's combined.