Do you buy from CRC?

June 5, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

Again, too many different types given the likely volume of sales for the shops to justify having stock. Get your head out of your ass bike industry.

how many different type of jockey wheels are there? used to be g-pulleys and t-pulleys were good for any drl for x-speed drive trains for a given company

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 5, 2014, 1:34 p.m.

how many different type of jockey wheels are there? used to be g-pulleys and t-pulleys were good for any drl for x-speed drive trains for a given company

8, 9, 10 and 11 speed versions. Top (g) and bottom (t). Sealed bearing or bushing. XTR has cutaway versions…

June 5, 2014, 2:23 p.m.

8, 9, 10 and 11 speed versions. Top (g) and bottom (t). Sealed bearing or bushing. XTR has cutaway versions…

that's what i would have figured. so a shop can stock a few replacement sets for 10spd and be covered for ~75% of the traffic coming through their door? or pull a set off a drl in stock while telling you "yeah i got your pulleys right here" then special-order a replacement pair. maybe i'm splitting hairs, but that doesn't sound like a bike "industry" problem to me, for like a failure of planning/imagination

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 5, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

Currently trying to track down a pair of jockey wheels for a current XT derailer. 4 shops called so far. All offered to do a special-order for me.

Again, too many different types given the likely volume of sales for the shops to justify having stock. Get your head out of your ass bike industry.

I hear you on your second point, but what's wrong with ordering a part through your LBS? And how is it different than you doing your own special order online? In either case, there are shipping costs, but if you let the LBS take time to consolidate an order with other customers, shipping is usually free.

June 5, 2014, 6:42 p.m.

^ordering online yourself is usually cheaper, sometimes significantly. I think the point some are trying to make is they would rather support the lbs when the actual dollar difference isn't too big because that's the premium to pay for service and convenience, but when you remove convenience from that it's harder to justify the premium.

June 5, 2014, 7:52 p.m.

^ordering online yourself is usually cheaper, sometimes significantly.

And with a big ticket-item like jockey wheels, the savings would be massive!

June 5, 2014, 7:58 p.m.

I've found the customs hit or miss. In the long run it has worked in my favour, and even with the charges it is still cheaper. One time, however, I had a large order from CRC which included a couple of tires. CBSA opened a corner, by the looks of it, saw the tires only and applied the rubber products duty rate to the value of the whole order. Thankfully I got the difference back after sending in receipts. I'm currently waiting on another refund for an incorrectly assessed value. CRC declared the value in CAD, but the lovely CBSA converted it again with the GBP rate and so I paid about double in tax!

I had the same thing happen. Converted ~$300CDN to ~$700 as they thought the original declared value was in British Pounds. The label clearly had 'CAD' after the monetary amount.
To add a little salt to the wound, they then charged me BOTH PST and GST when it was purely a bunch of drive train components. Should have gotten $65 back, they ended up sending me $50 for the PST mistake only. Not worth attempting to resubmit for $15 I dont think.

June 5, 2014, 8:20 p.m.

… or pull a set off a drl in stock while telling you "yeah i got your pulleys right here" then special-order a replacement pair.

yea I'm going to suggest that's going to happen on planet nowhere in the solar system not a chance…..

IMO staff time to pull off those pulley wheels and then reinstall make sure of that….you'd have to be one heck of a preferred customer….

June 5, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

And with a big ticket-item like jockey wheels, the savings would be massive!

you got it!

In all seriousness, if I know from this relatively small simple wear and tear replacement item where I won't save much if anything by going online and the LBS still doesn't/can't stock a replacement, I am less likely to try them for a big ticket item because what are the odds they would stock that. Especially if it's not an urgent purchase. The time spent calling 4-6+ stores, being put on hold while they check whether said item is in stock, and then having to place a special order through one of these stores, wait for them to 'consolidate my order with other customers', wait for it to come in, make the trip to the store to pick it up once its in. For the lazy its easier to click and type a few things on the interweb and just sit and wait for it to get delivered to my door.

I don't claim to have any of the answers, but these are realistic issues that stores need to find innovative solutions to if they want to survive in this ever changing landscape. I just know that pitting one against the other isn't really working and its only creating a divide in the consumer base, all the while bringing more awareness to what is going on and eventually the masses realize how easy it can be to save a few or many bucks

June 6, 2014, 6:59 a.m.

^^^ I don't think the masses will ever jump from going to a lbs IMHO. Those who post on this site are not the typical bike consumer. We have very specific wants (hell we argue about having 2 less teeth on a ring will make us faster). Most here do all their own wrenching.

The masses don't know the difference between 32 or 34mm stanchions and don't care to do their own wrenching. They want their bike running now and if they want an upgrade they will likely buy local for the convenience and the quick advice they get from their shop.

June 6, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Do jockey wheels ever need replacing anyway????

June 6, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

Do jockey wheels ever need replacing anyway????

Yes, when they start to look like Ninja throwing stars.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 6, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

^ordering online yourself is usually cheaper, sometimes significantly. I think the point some are trying to make is they would rather support the lbs when the actual dollar difference isn't too big because that's the premium to pay for service and convenience, but when you remove convenience from that it's harder to justify the premium.

Exactly.

I hear you on your second point, but what's wrong with ordering a part through your LBS? And how is it different than you doing your own special order online? In either case, there are shipping costs, but if you let the LBS take time to consolidate an order with other customers, shipping is usually free.

Good point. But I needed these for the weekend, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that I should be able to get wear items on a walk-in as needed basis from my local retailer. I was grumpy and wanted to rant.

That said, the shop I used to work at back in the UK did exactly as suggested above in that we had a selection in stock so that we could at least get any customer riding again in a pinch.

However, on this occasion it was the folks at Dizzy Cycles on 4th that came through for me. One pair of XT jockey wheels available off the shelf. Paid a bit of a premium, but I'm OK with that considering the convenience factor.

June 6, 2014, 10:31 p.m.

I buy as much stuff from lbs as I can.. Mostly consumables likes tires ,tubes,socks,armour. However
most everything else is either not in stock or just ridiculously marked up.
Lynn Valley Bikes and cove are my go to's..

June 7, 2014, 6:45 a.m.

Anything Shimano i buy from CRC or Wiggle, My goto shop has always been Cove or Northshore bikes. I prefer to buy local but when you can save over half price overseas its kinda hard to justify it