Do I have to replace my aggressor with a woble?

March 7, 2020, 7:03 p.m.

A while ago I came off a jump and rolled my aggressor over. It had a permanent wobble after that. My shop said it had to be replaced so I did. Now the second one has done the same thing. I took the tire off a re seated it and everything seems kosher with regards to inatallao. 

#1 I suspect this is the last aggressor I will buy as I've heard they have a tendency to do this. 

#2 do I have to replace this tire that otherwise has a ton of life left in it?

March 8, 2020, 6:16 a.m.

For me if is something that could fail and leave me stranded I would replace it. If not, ride til’ it dies.

March 8, 2020, 9:41 a.m.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've heard of aggressor's having issues like this but not sure if it is a fatal blow for the tyre? Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and could shed light on how severe a defect it is?

March 8, 2020, 12:04 p.m.

Classic Maxxis. They frequently delaminate and wobble. I wont run them anymore because of this.

March 8, 2020, 1:02 p.m.

For what it's worth, I ran a Minion SS when that tire was first released that had a wobble. Rode it down to bare thread, no issues. Undetectable when riding as far as I could tell. Just looked like the wheel was out of true.

March 9, 2020, 7:48 a.m.

Are you using Cushcore?   I've seen multiple Aggressors develop wobbles after Cushcore installation due to stretching of the bead for want of a better term.    I have run multiple Aggressors in the past year without issue, one with Cushcore.

March 9, 2020, 5:16 p.m.

It is with cushcore. I actually installed cushcore on a mildly used aggressor and assumed the wobble was there before and I hadn't noticed. I don't think I did anything to the tire during installation as I put the tire on with my hands. No tools/levers.

I took the tire off and re-seated it, making sure everything was ok with the install. The tire snapped nicely into place, again with the wobble.

March 10, 2020, 6:07 a.m.

I have had an Aggressor DD do this, it is from the bead being stretched. I think you are fine to run it if it doesn't bother you, but at some point it will stretch to the point it won't seal/seat on the rim and will blow off as you pressurize it scaring the crap out of you and showering latex sealant all over you. Ask me how I know...

March 10, 2020, 10:02 a.m.

Yup. No more Maxxis for me. Had 3 wobbly casings and gave up. Maxxis quality control sucks IMHO....Running e13 now with great results.

March 13, 2020, 3:46 p.m.

I have a DHR2 DD casing rear that has had a wobble since new, but it's minor, been riding it for a year now and meh I don't care... almost dead enough to replace, except sourcing a 27.5x2.4 DHR II MaxxTerra in DD casing is hard, seems out of stock even in Euroland.

March 13, 2020, 9:51 p.m.

I warrantied a DHF EXO that developed a wobble. It was really easy. You just fill out a form on the Maxxis website and upload some photos. They didn’t even make me send back the old tire.

March 26, 2020, 10:03 p.m.

I just warrantied my Aggressor with a pretty decent wobble because of this thread. The web form asked a bunch of questions, like a description of the defect, a photo of the hot patch, the number stamped inside the tire, and place of purchase. 

No need to ship the old one back either. A new tire showed up on my doorstep today. 

Maxxis has bought a loyal customer.