Dizzy Cycles

March 4, 2015, 5:54 p.m.

Was Gord Moreside the owner of Dizzy Cycles? I wonder what he's up to now? Haven't seen that dude in many many years.

March 4, 2015, 6:27 p.m.

I popped in there while waiting for Noodlebox once. Dunno what I it was about but I spoke to a helpful young mechanic about a spare for something and this older guy with an attitude came over and said "if we order that for you you'll have to pay shipping and an order or admin fee". Really? You could see the young guy was embarrassed about it. With staff like that I'm not surprised they went under.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 4, 2015, 6:33 p.m.

I too had issues with their "sales" staff. Didn't go back.

March 4, 2015, 8:12 p.m.

on 4th Ave off Broadway

Unpossible.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 4, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

Wasn't James at Obsession helping out or doing some sort of collaboration with Dizzys? I think I remember some tweet from Obsession Bikes about Dizzy now being obsessed, or something like that. Maybe James was trying to help right the ship.

EDIT: Found it http://jameswilsonworld.tumblr.com/post/85218173061/dizzy-is-getting-obsessed

:canada: :england:

March 4, 2015, 9:15 p.m.

The 4th and Burrard/Cypress store opened in 1984 or 5 as the Bike Cellar. Funded partly by Black's Cycle in Comox which also has bastion Cycle in Nanaimo. ( Had to have BC initials as the name) Dizzy was I believe their corporate name. I know some history but this is not the place to blab about it.

Was the shop you are referring to Reckless? I think that has gone through a bunch of incarnations. It was Robson Cycles once at 3rd and Fir? 2nd and Fir?

If my memory is correct it was Reckless at Fir and West 2nd back in 87 and 88. I recall it specifically as it was the bike shop sponsor of the BC Biathlon Series back then. Think it was 88 or 89 when we went to the shop for bike inspection prior to a race in Van. I think it was at UBC.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 5, 2015, 7:01 a.m.

Unpossible.

Yup, missed that one. Was thinking Burrard and typed Broadway. Bike Cellar it was.

March 5, 2015, 7:58 a.m.

They were the closest LBS to where I lived for a few years and were always helpful to me, often performing service on the spot. I'm sad to see them go.

March 6, 2015, 12:37 p.m.

I too had issues with their "sales" staff. Didn't go back.

I worked at the Bike Cellar for a while and it was a great place to work. The owner Paul ran a pretty serious business but you could tell it stressed him to have the Kits and N Van stores at the same time.

Years later I popped into Dizzy once in a while and was basically chased out by the ignorant staff. I went in to see what they had for riding glasses and one dufus tried to tell me that no serious cyclist wears glasses. I thought he was joking at first but he went on and on about how stupid riding glasses are so I walked out and never went back.

March 6, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

Wasn't James at Obsession helping out or doing some sort of collaboration with Dizzys? I think I remember some tweet from Obsession Bikes about Dizzy now being obsessed, or something like that. Maybe James was trying to help right the ship.

EDIT: Found it http://jameswilsonworld.tumblr.com/post/85218173061/dizzy-is-getting-obsessed

The Bike Cellar used to be in Kits and N Van under the same owner(s) then switched to Dizzy. AFAIK, James bought out Dizzy in N Van and wasn't involved in the Kits location.

March 6, 2015, 1:39 p.m.

Surprising amount of people commenting about how the staff pissed them off they never went back.

I wonder how much that contributed to their demise? It certainly couldn't have helped.

I used to stop [HTML_REMOVED] shop there occasionally when I lived in Van, but not since I moved to suburbia.

March 6, 2015, 1:49 p.m.

Bike Cellar was in New West as well , a buddy worked there and bought the shop and changed it to Royal City Bikes

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 6, 2015, 1:50 p.m.

I worked at the Bike Cellar for a while and it was a great place to work. The owner Paul ran a pretty serious business but you could tell it stressed him to have the Kits and N Van stores at the same time.

Years later I popped into Dizzy once in a while and was basically chased out by the ignorant staff. I went in to see what they had for riding glasses and one dufus tried to tell me that no serious cyclist wears glasses. I thought he was joking at first but he went on and on about how stupid riding glasses are so I walked out and never went back.

I've had that before in other stores. Some punk kid often trying to tell me how it is. I would always correct the bugger though, politely. "Are you crazy son? Never had a fly bounce off yer eyeball? or got a branch across the face? Safety item son. They're a good idea. Especailly if you wear contacts kid." Just call them on it. If they get all belligerent than you leave. Mostly I think I get due respect because I am old.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 7, 2015, 7:29 p.m.

brought my $ DH in for a new single spoke a couple years back. Went back to pick it up a couple days later. One new silver spoke the rest black. That was enough for me.

March 7, 2015, 8 p.m.

well mr matching spokes has spoken!! get me a frappuccino !!