dishing wheels

July 9, 2003, 7:44 p.m.

i bought a 24 inch dx32 laced to rear deore disc a couple of days ago it looks like it already needs to be dished, the gap in between the edge of the tire and the chainstays is smaller than one side than it is on the other. I havent done any hard riding on it yet and i dont know how it could have gotten like this. Could it be a wheelbuilder error?

tibial spine fracture.

July 9, 2003, 9:32 p.m.

It might be wheelbuilder error, or your frame could be mis-aligned or the tire may not run totally straight.

What frame do you have?

July 9, 2003, 10:02 p.m.

Could be improperly spaced,could be lotsa things,putting it into a park truing stand will tell you whats up

a new wheel will often loosen off,the guy who built my last wheel said to bring it in for a free true cuz they often loosen off. I got a park wheel truing stand so I usually do it myself

July 9, 2003, 10:16 p.m.

Don't gauge whether a wheel needs to be dished by the tire. The tire may not be seated properlly or the tire may just have not been moulded correctly. Check using a dishing tool. It looks like a long bent piece of flat metal with an adjustable centre for the axle. You should use this tool for dish cause the Park stands have been known to be inaccurate.

July 9, 2003, 10:49 p.m.

Originally posted by speed metal
**It might be wheelbuilder error, or your frame could be mis-aligned or the tire may not run totally straight.

What frame do you have? **

02 125

tibial spine fracture.

July 9, 2003, 10:51 p.m.

the tires seated properly, it has to be ive taken it off and put it back on twice

tibial spine fracture.

July 10, 2003, 12:59 a.m.

I only care that the wheel is in between the stays. If it isn't, and you want to fix it yourself, dish it over by giving all the spokes (on the side with the gap) a 1/2 turn. If it needs more, do another 1/2, or 1/4, or 1/8 turn, depending on how much more it needs to be pulled over.

But make sure the spokes on both sides are not really tight before trying to pull the rim over to one side.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 10, 2003, 7:41 a.m.

you can get a spoke wrench and pull the rim over like switch said,I would get the park multi spoke wrench that fits 3 sizes of nipple

when you tighten spokes you twist the spoke up to some degree ,when it untwists during riding the spoke loosens off.So I like to over tighten and back off 1/4 turn so there are no torsional forces acting to unloosen the spoke.

So to tighten all the spokes on one side and I would try 1/4 turn to start with (its usually the disk side that loosens off)I tighten each spoke ON THE SIDE THAT NEEDS PULLING OVER ONLY a 1/2 turn and back off 1/4 turn.Start at the valve stem and pay attention cuz its easy to loose track

or if that doesnt make sense forget the spoke windup thing and just tighten them 1/4 turn for starters

Or take it to the lbs