Different saddle height HT vs FS

March 17, 2019, 9:47 p.m.

Wondering what you all find when setting up saddle height between HT and FS. I find I have to put up my saddle 2-3mm on my FS otherwise it feels sluggish. If I put the HT that high, I can't move around enough to maneuver up tech climbs. The power is the same at the lower setting if not better on the HT. If I set the FS at the same height as HT it feels like molasses. The geo between them is pretty similar. The HT is actually a slacker seat tube at 73 degrees. 

I find the steep seat tunes on modern geo fits like a time trial bike. My hardtails all have around 73 deg seat tube and I think that might be the difference. On the hardtail I set up the saddle more like on my road bike, a little relaxed/lower to engage the hamstrings etc. On the FS with a steeper seat tube you have to set up more like a TT bike - all quads with the saddle up nice and high.

March 18, 2019, 8:08 a.m.

There is no way I would be able to tell the difference of 2-3mm of seat height riding a mtb on trails. Particularly not between two different bikes.

March 18, 2019, 9:07 a.m.

I have a steep STA hardtail and slack STA full suspension. The bike with the steeper STA seems to encourage more seated pedalling with a higher seat and the slacker one seems to encourage being in and out of the saddle with a slightly lower seat.

I think that's pretty par for the course as far as slack vs steep seat angles go.

Last edited by: Kenny on March 18, 2019, 10:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.