Differences: Rhythm 34 vs Bomber Z2

March 11, 2022, 4:39 p.m.

Due to upgrades on another bike, I have a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 and a Fox 34 Rhythm, and I’m trying to determine which figure out the functional difference between them, since the Z2 appears to be based off of the same chassis. Is it just the charger vs rail damper?

March 12, 2022, 7:53 p.m.

I looked into this as much as I could when deciding between the Z2 and Z1, and as far as I can tell the difference is just the damper + different lowers.

March 12, 2022, 9:15 p.m.

As someone who just bought a bike that came with a Z2 I can tell you the Z2 rail damper is not as good as the Fox Grip damper. The Z2 chassis is stiffer then the flexy 34. But the Rail damper packs up too fast and is way over damped IMO. I switched to a Pike Select and it is way better.

March 13, 2022, 4:51 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

As someone who just bought a bike that came with a Z2 I can tell you the Z2 rail damper is not as good as the Fox Grip damper. The Z2 chassis is stiffer then the flexy 34. But the Rail damper packs up too fast and is way over damped IMO. I switched to a Pike Select and it is way better.

I gotcha. Going a bit more “downcountry” (sorry for the dumb term) with this particular bike, so I guess the better damper would be preferable to the stiffer fork, as I have a big old beefy hardtail which has a pike ultimate for the gnar.

March 14, 2022, 7:39 a.m.

I prefer to say BCXC, but down coutry seems to be the new catch phrase. I just built up a 2022 Rocky Element for The same style of riding as you I would avoid the Z2. If you can try and get a Pike you get a stiff chassis and a great damper. The new C1 DebonAir shaft is great. I weigh 200lbs all kitted up and run just 1 token and the travel ramps up perfectly. 

March 14, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

I prefer to say BCXC, but down coutry seems to be the new catch phrase. I just built up a 2022 Rocky Element for The same style of riding as you I would avoid the Z2. If you can try and get a Pike you get a stiff chassis and a great damper. The new C1 DebonAir shaft is great. I weigh 200lbs all kitted up and run just 1 token and the travel ramps up perfectly. 

Ooh, I was trying everything I could do to get my hands on an Element, but the local dealer couldn’t get a single one. Can I say AKXC? New fork time might be coming for this bike if I can get it working well for me otherwise.