DHRII Front and Rear?

May 12, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

I’m thinking of trying out a different tire set-up on my all-mountain/enduro bike, which is a current Bronson CC V3 with a top spec build, running Reserve 30 rims.

I’m currently running a 2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front and a 2.3 Aggressor DC EXO. These have (seemed to) serve me well on my local NY/NJ/CT terrain which consists of hard, dust over hard, some loose, bunch of chunky rock mixed in a bit with a decent amount of steep. Typical New England terrain. There are also a handful of bike parks days mixed in there.

My current tires keep the bike feeling lively and mostly just damn fine, but that vague spot in the DHF may be throwing me off...or my cornering technique just sucks. I feel like a different front tire may be much more confidence inspiring. I also feel like I’d appreciate a touch more volume out back, a 2.4 Aggressor would be perfect if they made it. 2.5 Agressor seems like more than I need.

So, I’m thinking of the following...

-DHR2/DHR2 Max Terra front and rear. Or, should I go with Dual Compound rear, will the Max Terra rear add a ton of drag? Will DHR2/DHR2 be a slower than DHF/Aggressor (depending on rear compound)?

- DHR2 Max Terra front, Dissector Max Terra rear. Or, Dual Compound? Dissector seems to be the new unicorn rear tire like the Aggressor seemed to be. This may have about the same rolling resistance as DHF/Aggressor.

Max Terra front, should I go with Max Terra or Dual compound rear? Will the Max Terra rear add a ton of rolling resistance? Wear rate is not an issue as I do not mind tire replacement costs

May 12, 2021, 12:55 p.m.

if you don't like the vague spot of a dhf you probably won't like a dhr up front. great steep braking traction due to the wide center blocks, but can be a bit squirrely until you get the tire onto the side lugs. the assegai is a better option, imo.

May 12, 2021, 2:11 p.m.

Run and Assegai up front- lose all of the front end vague, gain all the slow roll

May 12, 2021, 6:41 p.m.

I’m on record saying I don’t get the DHF vagueness worries, so I’ll just leave that alone. Still my favorite front in 3CG that I keep going back to when rolling speed matters. (I only run 3CG, MoPo or Ultra-Soft up front)

Dissector is good for about 10 rides, then all the side knobs tear and sadness ensues.  Stick with Aggressor in dry and DHR the rest of the time. 

Goldilocks is still a myth. (Hey Maxxis, how about a 3CT Aggressor?)

May 13, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

Troy B rides DHR2 front and rear so that tells you something.... transition knobs aren't as important as people think as the entire tire is still in contact with the ground. If you have some kind of siping on the center knobs, you are fine.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on May 13, 2021, 9:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 14, 2021, 2:37 a.m.

^Minnaar might’ve won a rainbow stripe on DHRII F/R. Ratboy ran HRII F/R. 

I like a DHRII F/R or HRII F/DHRII R combos.

May 14, 2021, 8:27 p.m.

Joe racer uses this or that but do you think joe enduro/ DH team is really all that togeher ?

or is what they ran all they had left ?

May 14, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

Right now I suggest you take whatever you can get your hands on. But I am a fan of the DHR2 and I bet running it up front would make for some good traction.

May 24, 2021, 10:29 a.m.

My fave rear tire , when running a Shorty up front.

May 24, 2021, 6:44 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Troy B rides DHR2 front and rear so that tells you something.... transition knobs aren't as important as people think as the entire tire is still in contact with the ground. If you have some kind of siping on the center knobs, you are fine.

And Danny Hart, Mark Wallace, Loic Bruni, Brendan Fairclough...

I’ve probably missed other World Cup racers who regularly use a double DHR2 setup. So a very popular race setup for sure.  Probably meaningless for us mortals but...

May 24, 2021, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

Posted by: LoamtoHome

And Danny Hart, Mark Wallace, Loic Bruni, Brendan Fairclough...

I’ve probably missed other World Cup racers who regularly use a double DHR2 setup. So a very popular race setup for sure.  Probably meaningless for us mortals but...

Probably. But then again Troy B rides the DHRII instead of his Sig tyre.  Also Greg winning Rainbow on DHRII combo.  Seeing a lot of AssGuy/DHRII combos now too.

Nov. 13, 2021, 5:02 a.m.

I just switched to DHR2 27.5 x 2.4 front and rear (from 2.2 Rekons) as taking my very entry level XC HT on a lot more DH trails and wanted to try a few cheaper upgrades to see if they helped … So far, love the change.  Way less rear tire slip, much more stable digging into downhill berms and more confident (struggling) through rock gardens.  

… and shamefully, I dig the brown wall look.

Nov. 25, 2021, 10:42 p.m.

Skinwall…. and it always looks good.

Nov. 26, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

Skinwall…. and it always looks good.

I disagree, but obviously a very subjective aspect of "bike look". I always feel like the tan walls cheapen the appearance to an extent.

Nov. 26, 2021, 9:32 a.m.

Battle lines are drawn...I tend to agree skinwalls look like butt in general, but on Chuckong's bike I'd say they look fantastic.

One big upside of DHR's is the weight savings. Tires I've had have been as much as a quarter pound less per than DHF's