DHF/Aggressor vs DHRII F/R or Dissector rear???

April 27, 2021, 3:12 p.m.

I’m thinking of trying out a different tire set-up on my all-mountain/enduro bike, which is a current Bronson CC V3 with a top spec build, running Reserve 30 rims.

I’m currently running a 2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front and a 2.3 Aggressor DC EXO. These have (seemed to) serve me well on my local NY/NJ/CT terrain which consists of hard, dust over hard, some loose, bunch of chunky rock mixed in a bit with a decent amount of steep.  Typical New England terrain. There are also a handful of bike parks days mixed in there.

My current tires keep the bike feeling lively and mostly just damn fine, but that vague spot in the DHF may be throwing me off, or my cornering technique just sucks. I feel like a different front tire may be much more confidence inspiring. I also feel like I’d appreciate a touch more volume out back, a 2.4 Aggressor would be perfect if they made it. 

So, how does the DHRII front and rear compare to the go-to DHF/Aggressor? I feel like the bike may feel a bit more lively having the 2.4 DHRII up front vs the 2.5 DHF, but will the rear DHRII add a bunch of rolling resistance? How much rolling resistance does the DHRII DC add vs Aggressor DC? 

What about going DHF front and Dissector rear? It seems like the Dissector gives up minimal rolling resistance to the Aggressor, but gains volume

April 27, 2021, 7:16 p.m.

I recently went DHF/Dissector because of supply chain issues, I had not used a DHF for a while because I remembered that vague sensation. 

My memory is correct. I don't like it. Assegai fixes the problem. 

The dissector is good though, the side knobs are badass. I can tell they won't last long but otherwise it's great.

If running maxxis and I had my choice it be assegai/Dissector. Both maxxgrip. Double down. Maybe exo+ up front.

April 27, 2021, 10:36 p.m.

I briefly tried a 2.4 DHR II as a front tire and my impression was that it inspired a touch less confidence when tipped over in corners than a DHF. I am also a fan of the Assegai, which is more forgiving than the DHF due to the intermediate knobs, though it rolls a bit slower.

The Dissector is appealing, but the reading I’ve done on it suggests the side knobs become undercut relatively quickly. So I think you could go with an Aggressor in the dry or on mellower terrain in the wet, or a DHR II 3C on steeper wet terrain.

Why not the 2.5 Aggressor in back? 2.4...2.5... same thing.

Last edited by: D_C_ on April 28, 2021, 8:28 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 27, 2021, 11:56 p.m.

I've tried all these tires. I still quite like the DHF in 2.5 (it's not great as a 2.3 front, probably due to smaller side knobs... this will be a theme). What others consider a "vague spot", I consider amazing grip when leaned over and pushed hard. I also like the Assegai up front, so I pick whichever one is available in MaxxGrip in the size and casing I need. You couldn't pay me enough to run MaxxTerra anything on the front unless it's 100% dry.

For reference, since you're on it, I find the Aggressor (I run the 2.5) is fast rolling with good grip in dry. Nice, predictable rear tire for what it is, I'd never run it as a front. Not great in wet due to harder Dual Compound rubber. I like to run one on my lighter setup in the PNW from June - Sept for banging out the big miles in the high country.

Dissector sucks. It was actually pretty good when brand new on winter loamers (as a rear), and rolled faster than DHR, but that's the end of it's upside. Wimpy side knobs are no good on off-camber rocks, and will all tear within weeks. That said, it might be a decent tire for light riders. I'm slightly on the bigger side and don't get on with thinner side knobs.

DHRii - It's a great front if you don't ride a lot of wet, off camber rocks. I find it likes to slide sideways when hard braking on those, but otherwise can go toe to toe with a DHF. Brakes better than the DHF. But that wet rock thing knocked it off my list as a viable front tire. Like 90% of people in Cascadia, it's my go-to rear.

Last edited by: JVP on April 27, 2021, 11:58 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 28, 2021, 10:25 a.m.

For me that vague sensation is a constant reminder that i'm not leaning the bike properly, and i should be pushing harder. I found that riding tires with those intermediate knobs (Magic Mary, Assguy) made me corner like a little bitch cos i didn't need to push hard to get the traction. I've been running DHF front and rear on all my bikes for the past 3 or 4 years now once i figured this out.

April 28, 2021, 12:31 p.m.

Yeti came with 2.5 DHF / 2.3 agressor,

IME the agressor was easier to get loose in dry corners/ lose grip in mud but it was pretty fast rolling

I switched to a 2.35 DHR  before going to Moab mostly cuz I was concerned about taking old equipment, DHR has more grip for sure but not as fast rolling

April 28, 2021, 12:33 p.m.

Posted by: nortonwhis

For me that vague sensation is a constant reminder that i'm not leaning the bike properly, and i should be pushing harder. I found that riding tires with those intermediate knobs (Magic Mary, Assguy) made me corner like a little bitch cos i didn't need to push hard to get the traction. I've been running DHF front and rear on all my bikes for the past 3 or 4 years now once i figured this out.

Maybe on flow trails, but in technical trails or off camber landings the angle of my tire relative to the trail surface is not something I'm really in control of.

April 28, 2021, 4:25 p.m.

I feel like for more normal ‘trails’ with varying turns and pitches, where you can’t just rail like at a bike park, that empty spot in the DHF can be a bit more noticeable.

Dissector front and rear sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Definitely could make the bike feel more lively and quick.

But, I’m wondering if it’s ‘enough’

As far as DHRII front and rear, how is rolling resistance compared to DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.3?

April 28, 2021, 8:42 p.m.

I had the unfortunate experience of chasing after two very fit xc riders on xc bikes with low profile light weight tires on 33km and a 1000m of elevation xc trails using my 150/150 enduro bike with dh casing tires. It sucked. It has me rethinking my tire selection though. I usually prioritize for my worst case decent. I'm thinking about moving towards better rolling resistance with an aggressor rear. Any suggestions on something (not a minion) that is a good complement to an aggressor for the front in terms of decent sidewall, reasonable traction with low rolling resistance?

April 28, 2021, 10:12 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I had the unfortunate experience of chasing after two very fit xc riders on xc bikes with low profile light weight tires on 33km and a 1000m of elevation xc trails using my 150/150 enduro bike with dh casing tires. It sucked. It has me rethinking my tire selection though. I usually prioritize for my worst case decent. I'm thinking about moving towards better rolling resistance with an aggressor rear. Any suggestions on something (not a minion) that is a good complement to an aggressor for the front in terms of decent sidewall, reasonable traction with low rolling resistance?

The DHR II is usually about 100 g lighter for its size and casing than an equivalent DHF or Assegai. I think it’s a good choice for an aggressive BC XC front tire, particularly in 2.3 if you want to save some weight. I raced the Nimby on a DHR II 2.3 front/Ikon 2.35 rear.

In Maxxis, after Minions, Aggressor and Dissector are the next step faster in rolling resistance. But I don’t find a Minion-like front tire with a faster rolling rear to be too bad to lug around.

Last edited by: D_C_ on April 28, 2021, 10:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 29, 2021, 7:59 a.m.

Posted by: Jcway16

As far as DHRII front and rear, how is rolling resistance compared to DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.3?

It will probably feel the same. The DHR rolls faster than the DHF, but not as quick as the Aggressor. 

In general, I think the tradeoff biasing toward more grip would make the dual DHRs a better choice (assuming same tire compounds). I have found the DHR is has less of that "gap" in grip vs. the DHF, and the DHR is clearly grippier than the Aggressor. If the drag is almost a wash, I'll pick grip.

April 29, 2021, 7:19 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I've been shoe horned into a riding group that's all gazelles the last couple years, I feel your pain. 

I went the Exo route, with higher pressures to hold it all together. Exo+ on rear currently. I keep plugs handy and try to religiously check psi. (Forgot last ride, broke a rib).

Smallish close-set knobs are quick and can provide an outsized amount of grip, but wear at a ridiculous rate and won't dig down into loam.

Though reducing weight is more important than reducing rolling resistance according to my nausea o' meter and Strava.

May 2, 2021, 2:57 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Maybe on flow trails, but in technical trails or off camber landings the angle of my tire relative to the trail surface is not something I'm really in control of.

Hmm to me its more apparent on tech trails, and especially flat corners. I'm whistler based so things like Howler, all the Blackcomb trails, thats where it becomes more and more noticeable.

May 2, 2021, 3:36 p.m.

Hmm to me its more apparent on tech trails, and especially flat corners. I'm whistler based so things like Howler, all the Blackcomb trails, thats where it becomes more and more noticeable.

Yeah I agree, I think we're saying the same thing - on tech trails it's a problem because it's not just a manicured berm where you're under control of what part of the tire is in contact with the trail.

I crashed again yesterday. 2 crashes in two rides due to wierd washouts with that damned DHF. 

Swapped an assegai in this morning. Even just visually it feels much less sketchy.

Maybe I just don't have the skill for a front tire with no transition knobs, but never again...

May 2, 2021, 9:48 p.m.

Yeah I agree, I think we're saying the same thing - on tech trails it's a problem because it's not just a manicured berm where you're under control of what part of the tire is in contact with the trail.

I crashed again yesterday. 2 crashes in two rides due to wierd washouts with that damned DHF. 

Swapped an assegai in this morning. Even just visually it feels much less sketchy.

Maybe I just don't have the skill for a front tire with no transition knobs, but never again...

Yup, the DHF needs to be leaned over. Just get your body low to the bar and lean it in. It will hook up. Thats the great part. If you trust it, and ride it hard, it will deliver. Haven't tried an Assegi but I hear they are slow rolling but super tractionous (is that a word?).