DH bike color change?

Sept. 23, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

This is such a cool idea.
I'd like to get my santa cruz driver8 redone! I have full saint kit and white fox40s.
I want something sick like a bright and flashy color. Something that will go with the black/ gold parts and white stuff too. What you guys think?
Roughly how much does a pro pc cost?

I paid $250 USD to have my frame disassembled, chemically stripped, powdercoated and reassembled.

It went from this:

To this:

Sept. 24, 2012, 12:17 a.m.

Knolly's in the past were painted by spectrum pre 2010 (and i believe Toxic when the first gen was completely done in Vancouver). For the 2010/2011 Podiums and deliriums, they were all painted at dekerf in Richmond. Chris Dekerf knows how to paint the frames and can do some exotic colours. However, I know some people weren't over the moon with the paint durability. You can get decals for underneath the clear coating from Knolly (by ordering them through Different bikes or Lynn Valley Bikes).

Be aware when you consider stripping down your anodized black frame. The anodizing is a harder surface finish than normal paint, it will take more effort and more money than normal to do such a thing.

And most importantly, make sure to show us the finished product!

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Sept. 24, 2012, 9:29 a.m.

http://www.toxikdesignlab.com/contact.php

I'm looking about $330 from Toxik including the fork. I'd also need to snag some decals to finish it all off.

If it's flat black, is it an ano finish? There may be some issue with painting over that.

That's why I'm looking for a shop with experience in the stripping and prep when it comes to a bike. I may have overcooked my old VPS back in the day. Either that, or the tree that disintegrated it was harder than I thought.
:lol:

just gotta find the right shop….

That's the biggest problem.
I can find 20 shops that will do it. But which of them will do it right, especially with a frame that I'd have a hard time replacing. They don't Knolly in Vancouver anymore :(

i think they worked with http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/ when i remember correctly

Thanks for the link!

I strongly reccommend them, they are the only shop I know multiple clients of, all of whom are extremely happy with the work done and their bikes are all beautifully done. Whatever paint they use, lasts for ever aswell.

It's looking really good for Toxik right now.
I like everything I see about their work.

DNZ does the prepping and reassembly, but Baker powdercoating did the colour. They are the same guys who coat the OEM Transition frames.

The oem coat on Transitions is solid. I put a lot of miles on my Bottlerocket, and it's still mint looking.

I just saw this link on the www.darkcycles.com website.

[email protected] ? Wicked custom powder coating

Thanks man!

You can get decals for underneath the clear coating from Knolly (by ordering them through Different bikes or Lynn Valley Bikes)

That's good info man, thanks!

I'll definitely post up the results. I love this bike and look for excuses to snap a pic.

Sept. 30, 2012, 9:49 p.m.

Who paints carbon frames?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 1, 2012, 10:07 a.m.

drop Toxik an email and see what they say.

[email protected]

Oct. 1, 2012, 2:30 p.m.

Who paints carbon frames?

My belief is carbon frames should be raw and clear coated ;)

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:09 p.m.

My belief is carbon frames should be raw and clear coated ;)

Road bikes have the gayest paint jobs:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 2, 2012, 9:44 a.m.

What?
And all this time I thought this was the definition of masculine…

Dec. 2, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

So I saw this m9 at velocity full built today and I want to paint my shocker the same color. I know nothing about powder coating or anything. I want to keep the linkage black. Where, who, how, what. Toxic sounds expensive..

Dec. 2, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

If it's flat black, is it an ano finish? There may be some issue with painting over that.

Not sure if there is an issue(not saying there isn't) with painting, but I believe there can be an issue with PC over anodizing. Even if the ano is stripped there can be issues. I had an old Demo 9 that was black ano and when i talked to the guys at Surf-Tech in Port Moody,they advised me that the ano frame could cause problems with the heat required for PC'ing. Surf-Tech does both anodizing and PC.

Dec. 2, 2012, 6:04 p.m.

Powder coat on aluminum after its been heat treated at factory is bad news bears. Most frames are 6061-T6 which means once it hits a certain temp it loses strength. IIRC powder coat bakes around 400 degrees which is in the neighbourhood of the aluminum changing. I wouldn't do it. Also stripping paint should be done with a chemical NOT with any kind of blasting. The tubes are so thin as it is that it will degrade the frame.

Dec. 29, 2012, 9:42 p.m.

I took my foes to Rainbow powder coat in coquitlam.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8688296/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8688294/ (color matched the boxxer logos)

The shop nextdoor does the media blast and rainbow will give you sample options of paint they are doing now and or any color you want really. My bike was about $300 by the time the smoke cleared for all. These guys have done custom work for santa cruz and allot of custom work for harley tanks ect.

With that said painting a bike is allot of work. Leave all your bearings in and that makes the masking process easier and safer. You will need to bring the frame in stripped and in all its pieces. But after the bake is done. So are your bearings. You will need to ream all surfaces again. Rainbow did a great job masking mine but you still gotta get in there with a knife to clean the odd surface. Then you need all new decals…….and where do ya stop….new lines, might as well get an xo deraileur…..ect! ha

I think it was worth it to breath life into my bike….but its not cheap!

604-521-0899
935 Sherwood Ave,
Coquitlam BC,
V3K 1A9

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Dec. 29, 2012, 10:43 p.m.

I took my foes to Rainbow powder coat in coquitlam.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8688296/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8688294/ (color matched the boxxer logos)

The shop nextdoor does the media blast and rainbow will give you sample options of paint they are doing now and or any color you want really. My bike was about $300 by the time the smoke cleared for all. These guys have done custom work for santa cruz and allot of custom work for harley tanks ect.

With that said painting a bike is allot of work. Leave all your bearings in and that makes the masking process easier and safer. You will need to bring the frame in stripped and in all its pieces. But after the bake is done. So are your bearings. You will need to ream all surfaces again. Rainbow did a great job masking mine but you still gotta get in there with a knife to clean the odd surface. Then you need all new decals…….and where do ya stop….new lines, might as well get an xo deraileur…..ect! ha

I think it was worth it to breath life into my bike….but its not cheap!

604-521-0899
935 Sherwood Ave,
Coquitlam BC,
V3K 1A9

Rainbow did a good job on 2 of my bikes.

Syntax Silver Sunday

lost the picture of the yakuza i did in fire engine red frame and white swingarm but it was sick.

Dec. 30, 2012, 10:27 a.m.

Powder coat on aluminum after its been heat treated at factory is bad news bears. Most frames are 6061-T6 which means once it hits a certain temp it loses strength. IIRC powder coat bakes around 400 degrees which is in the neighbourhood of the aluminum changing. I wouldn't do it. Also stripping paint should be done with a chemical NOT with any kind of blasting. The tubes are so thin as it is that it will degrade the frame.

aahh they can powdercoat at lower temps it just has to stay in the oven longer , we used to powdercoat thru the last shop i was at also even at 400deg the frame is only in there for no more then 20min , that,s not enough time to weaken a frame if it was there would be alot more broken production built frames out there as most are powdercoated

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 31, 2012, 8:32 a.m.

I have a polished frame that I want to get blasted (for texture) and anodized. Any suggestions of the best place to do this? Preferably north shore area as I live in Squamish.