dh 29'ers

May 10, 2017, 9:42 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Posted by: ReductiMat

It would be so easy to say, "DH is this wheelsize: <XXX>" and be done with it. 

How long until we hear how better 30.5 rolls better than 29?

https://dirtysixer.com ;

:p

wait 5 years and they will probably in production with FS

May 10, 2017, 1:30 p.m.

So I guess we all agree then.

May 11, 2017, 8:55 a.m.

commencal rolling up to ft bill bds on big wheels. on boxxers too! i'm assuming we'll see more teams in testing mode here prior to the big show.

Last edited by: xy9ine on May 11, 2017, 8:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2017, 9:44 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

So to recap.

Is watching UCI DH better now that they went from 26 to 27.5 and now to 29?

How many more units of fun are you having riding a larger wheel sized bike?

How many mathematical doctorates were handed out to bike industry professionals for defending their proof on ideal wheel size?

To answer:

1) Fuck no, I don't care what they ride.

2) Kahneman, Tverskey, Ariely and a handful of others have written very easy to understand books on how shitty we think, and how easy it is for us to fool ourselves.

3) Zero. They're throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.

What a bunch of fucking crap. There are ways to move forward without requiring me to buy a new fucking bike every fucking year, but then again as someone who actually rides one I might be one of the few who's affected by this fucking bullshit. I love falling down hills on bikes but these fuckers are hell bent on getting me on a fucking dirt bike.

Jeebuz man, no one's forcing you to buy anything. This is the cutting edge remember? It's going to be impractical and rapidly changing, that's the nature of "The Best". Just let the early adopters buy the latest/greatest and wait for the standards to shake out. I "actually ride one" and somehow manage to avoid buying a bike every year...

Very good point. Since when did advancements in F1 influence consumer auto purchases? It's interesting how tied in we are with the cutting edge and perhaps one of the very cool things about this sport. And we can, of course, opt out at any point and keep riding 26.

Last edited by: [email protected] on May 11, 2017, 10:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2017, 12:45 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Very good point. Since when did advancements in F1 influence consumer auto purchases? It's interesting how tied in we are with the cutting edge and perhaps one of the very cool things about this sport. And we can, of course, opt out at any point and keep riding 26.

No, they're not good points at all.  They were addressed preemptively in my rant.

To address these points again: 29er is not cutting edge.  It's decades old.

If you actually ride your bike, there is no opting out.  Unless of course you have some 26'er Fox Floats hanging around?

May 11, 2017, 2:14 p.m.

No, they're not good points at all.  They were addressed preemptively in my rant.

If you actually ride your bike, there is no opting out.  Unless of course you have some 26'er Fox Floats hanging around?

Right there. 26 and 27.5 varieties of the Factory 40

May 11, 2017, 2:30 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Right there. 26 and 27.5 varieties of the Factory 40

Which stores have stock? 

Just found one.. Jensen has one in stock.  Of the few stores that actually list them, the majority of those just have some, "Fuck off" text accompanying it.

May 11, 2017, 4:18 p.m.

I find its tires that are the more of the problem now. Glad I stocked up a while ago.

We are being forced to change. You can't deny it.

May 11, 2017, 6:10 p.m.
  • To me WC DH is best when they can go as fast as possible on the best bikes the industry can come up with. Obviously there need to be some technical restrictions but I don't think wheel size would be one of them. As a spectator I'll take 2017 DH over Kamakazie-era DH and I think the riders will too.  If they're faster on niners I wanna see them race on niners. 

• As a rider, for myself, I've been able to deal with the standards changing quite easily and still ride XT/XTR level kit. If I rode DH I'd have been forced onto 650b pretty soon if not already.   If I "actually rode" like 'ol Million Foot ReductiMat, I'd flip bikes every year before they loose value or require major service. Any maintainence items required over the year would be current. IME once you start putting on a certain amount of time on a bike it's a waste of money to go through major maintenance cycles - just flip frequently.

May 11, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

The move to bigger wheels is to gain an advantage. That's it. It is no different than more powerful brakes or grippier tires. Once the whole field has to adapt to keep up (and they will), then the next advancement to shave time will sought out.

I would go as far as to say that 29'ers are best suited for downhill racing. Courses are fast and rough and that's where bigger diameter wheels excel.

May 11, 2017, 9:30 p.m.

• To me WC DH is best when they can go as fast as possible on the best bikes the industry can come up with. Obviously there need to be some technical restrictions but I don't think wheel size would be one of them. As a spectator I'll take 2017 DH over Kamakazie-era DH and I think the riders will too.  If they're faster on niners I wanna see them race on niners. 

• As a rider, for myself, I've been able to deal with the standards changing quite easily and still ride XT/XTR level kit. If I rode DH I'd have been forced onto 650b pretty soon if not already.   If I "actually rode" like 'ol Million Foot ReductiMat, I'd flip bikes every year before they loose value or require major service. Any maintainence items required over the year would be current. IME once you start putting on a certain amount of time on a bike it's a waste of money to go through major maintenance cycles - just flip frequently.

Jesus christ.  I spelt most of this shit out before your first response and then you doubled down on pure stupid.

WC DH is a product.  Your enjoyment is derived from the field.  Not from a time.  If you believe your enjoyment comes from the times Bruni finishes Fort Bill from one year to the next, I'd say you were in the minority if I were in a generous mood.  (You really don't though, right?  Actually, you don't actually watch UCI DH, right?)

The coup de grâce comes from your false equivalency of product groupings and wheel sizes.  It's almost like you've never ridden a fucking bike.

When, in your time of riding a fucking bike, have you ever had to change a frame or fork because you wanted to change a groupset?

What do you think of consumption based taxes, and do you believe humans have an impact on climate change?

May 11, 2017, 9:30 p.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

The move to bigger wheels is to gain an advantage. That's it. It is no different than more powerful brakes or grippier tires. Once the whole field has to adapt to keep up (and they will), then the next advancement to shave time will sought out.

I would go as far as to say that 29'ers are best suited for downhill racing. Courses are fast and rough and that's where bigger diameter wheels excel.

29.5 rolls better than 29.

May 11, 2017, 9:34 p.m.

Unfortunately we will probably never know if 29ers are faster for the WCDH as everyone will be on them by Fort Bill.

We know one thing from Loudres and that is God doesn't like them.

May 11, 2017, 10:37 p.m.

• To me WC DH is best when they can go as fast as possible on the best bikes the industry can come up with. Obviously there need to be some technical restrictions but I don't think wheel size would be one of them. As a spectator I'll take 2017 DH over Kamakazie-era DH and I think the riders will too. If they're faster on niners I wanna see them race on niners.

• As a rider, for myself, I've been able to deal with the standards changing quite easily and still ride XT/XTR level kit. If I rode DH I'd have been forced onto 650b pretty soon if not already. If I "actually rode" like 'ol Million Foot ReductiMat, I'd flip bikes every year before they loose value or require major service. Any maintainence items required over the year would be current. IME once you start putting on a certain amount of time on a bike it's a waste of money to go through major maintenance cycles - just flip frequently.

Jesus christ. I spelt most of this shit out before your first response and then you doubled down on pure stupid.

WC DH is a product. Your enjoyment is derived from the field. Not from a time. If you believe your enjoyment comes from the times Bruni finishes Fort Bill from one year to the next, I'd say you were in the minority if I were in a generous mood. (You really don't though, right? Actually, you don't actually watch UCI DH, right?)

The coup de grâce comes from your false equivalency of product groupings and wheel sizes. It's almost like you've never ridden a fucking bike.

When, in your time of riding a fucking bike, have you ever had to change a frame or fork because you wanted to change a groupset?

What do you think of consumption based taxes, and do you believe humans have an impact on climate change?

Okay, you REALLY don't get what I'm trying to get across so you're making some pretty ridiculous assumptions. How angry and rude you are about it is pretty entertaining however.

Big fan of consumption taxes in general and yes we have an impact on climate change, not that that has anything to do with 29" DH bikes...

I'll stop poking the bear now for the sake of keeping things on track.

Last edited by: tashi on May 11, 2017, 10:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2017, 10:47 p.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.  The advantages of 29" are well suited to DH racing as long as some of the disadvantages can get worked out.  One thing I like about DH vs road racing is how the tech has more room to grow so stuff like DH bikes with big wheels will get developed if they're better and won't if they're not  

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">It's seems like it's taken a while to get here from the early shitty twitchy floppy XC-only niner days, longer than I expected actually.  It's pretty sweet to be able to get the wheel size you want (almost) no matter what style of bike you like. </span>