Devinci Troy on the shore

May 7, 2017, 9:40 p.m.

Anyone ride a new generation Troy on a regular basis around the shore? Any positives or negatives? I'm considering picking one up as my only ride,...... it will never see the bike park, only north shore trails and maybe squamish.

I'm looking at the Spartan too but I'm really interested in capable shorter-travel bikes for some reason.

May 7, 2017, 11:30 p.m.

Not quite the shore, but a friend of mine rides a Troy at Harbourview in Sooke.  He enjoys it, and it seems to handle some of the steep chutes in that area pretty well.

No first hand experience though, sorry.

May 8, 2017, 5:56 p.m.

If the new forum will grant you a search I did a pretty in depth reply to someones question about the Troy last year, I'm riding a 2016 which I think is the same frameset as the 2017 model just different parts spec.  It's a really fun bike but the only thing I'd wish for is a bit slacker head tube angle once in a while.  It doesn't hold me back, but a degree slacker would be better for sure.  I'm not a fan of the 1x setup on newer bikes but this has nothing to do with the Troy in all fairness.  I don't have time to ride much these days and I feel like my skills are regressing but when I had more time to devote to two wheels it had no problems handling all the steeps around Nelson and the Kootenays which compare to most everything on the shore IMO.  No problems climbing it all day, no problems descending all day either

May 8, 2017, 9:40 p.m.

I just built this up.

Its a 2017 Troy with DVO suspension (fork set at 160mm), a Works Components 1 degree headset (65 deg), full XT, and WE ARE ONE Composites carbon rims. This is a new rim brand we started up in Kamloops. Everything is manufactured on site, including the molds. Official launch coming soon. IG: @weareonecomposites

Anyway, pretty fun bike, rides like it has more than 140mm of travel. Feels deeper for sure. The TT is a tad short but its not really worthy of complaining.

Last edited by: Lowcard on May 8, 2017, 9:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 9, 2017, 11:52 a.m.

Is the stick included with wheel set purchase?

Really well put together ride. 

We Are One mailing list doesn't work...  What hubs will be available for the wheel sets?

May 9, 2017, 5:05 p.m.

This is one of the bikes on my current list to try out, I'm pretty sure Lynn Valley Bikes have a Troy to demo.
I'm interested to hear if there any other short(er) travel bikes that also work on the shore well such as the RM Instinct, Kona Process 134, YT Jeffsy as my wheels don't leave the ground that much to warrant a full 160+ amount of travel and I still need to earn my turns at a reasonable climbing speed...

May 9, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

The site will be up and running soon, just nailing down some final details. For hubs, we are contemplating a couple different price points, and will be available when we are live.

May 10, 2017, 7:33 a.m.

Cool.

Any chance that we'll be seeing a proper off-road tubeless valve?  You know, threaded body Schrader with hex nut and removable valve core

May 12, 2017, 4:03 p.m.

This is one of the bikes on my current list to try out, I'm pretty sure Lynn Valley Bikes have a Troy to demo.

I'll check them out. I wasn't sure if they still carried devinci

Last edited by: coolatt on May 12, 2017, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2017, 10:35 a.m.

I have had the new Troy for over a year now and love it. Perfect bike for the shore and other than NEd's I never wish for more travel.

May 27, 2017, 7:28 p.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

The site will be up and running soon, just nailing down some final details. For hubs, we are contemplating a couple different price points, and will be available when we are live.

Any option for hubs w/magnetic pawls?

May 28, 2017, 7:48 p.m.

Going live June 1st. Please check back!

May 29, 2017, 6:47 p.m.

The Troy is just a single pivot. Nothing ground breaking going on. There is nothing wrong with that as single pivots are generally as good if not better than any other design. Not really much different than horst link bikes other than SP's are usually more progressive and more easily tunable.

After riding my Troy a bunch now, I probably would have gone with the 2 degree headset to put it at 64. But that's just personal preference.

It definitely rides like a bike with more than 140mm travel. You can smash this bike pretty hard, but the DVO shock is really good, so that could have something to do with it.

May 29, 2017, 10:02 p.m.

^Do offset bushings play well with the frame or are you still running needle bearings on the shock mounts?