Devinci Troy (new model)

Oct. 22, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

I'm running the stock 30t ring, and notice no pedal feedback at all. Don't believe the hype.

I occasionally flip the "whatever the fuck it's called" switch on the rear shock if I'll be climbing something with alot of rocks and roots that I might catch a pedal on. Keeps the shock higher in it's travel and may, might, possibly make the rear suspension a bit more firm but I don't even notice. Traction is slightly better when climbing without the WTFC switch but again this is barely noticeable and pretty standard on any bike.

I'm 5'11 long arms and legs I'm riding a large and it fits me very well, better than any bikes in the medium size I've ridden before over the years (most recently was a Devinci Dixon in medium size which was fun but always felt too short). I don't notice any problems weighting the front tire with this bike.

On my old Dixon (2011 model) there was noticeable brake jack when descending and on the brakes. Not a deal breaker, and not nearly as bad as true single pivot bikes I've ridden over the years but still there. Weagle worked some magic on the latest iteration of the split pivot design because that's all a thing of the past.

YMMV. I started riding bikes with canti brakes and 2" of elastomer travel "back in the day" when a 2.125 tire was fat as fuck. I'm not as picky as some (most) but have enough time on various bikes over the years to discern between a good bike and a not so good bike. This is definitely a good bike.

Oct. 22, 2016, 11:28 a.m.

Was on a 2014 Dixon. Noticed no brake jack or pedal feedback. Cannot say enough good things about the linkage and suspension from devinci. so supple off the top, never noticed unnecessary bob. Would have definitely got another devinci, but the spartan seemed like overkill, troy a little underkill.

Oct. 23, 2016, 8:53 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback :D
I'm guessing bikes with a very long reach like this will be a little slower on slow, steep, tech. The trade off for speed on faster trails which is what I find myself riding more these days anyway.

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 23, 2016, 9:47 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback :D
I'm guessing bikes with a very long reach like this will be a little slower on slow, steep, tech. The trade off for speed on faster trails which is what I find myself riding more these days anyway.

I recently went from my dixon to yet sb6. One thing i was really concerned about was slow techy climbing which is something i enjoy challenging myself on. Went from 39.8 reach to 42.9 (both mediums) and a wheelbase of 112 to 119. Rode Happy/Nimby the other day and it was like nothing changed. In fact it felt better, being in the middle of the bike by default rather than a little too far back. I had less problems keeping the front end from wandering on steep switchbacks (not sure if this is due to seat angle or not), but felt much more centered, relaxed and comfortable.

edit: just checked, the dixon had a 71 degree SA. no wonder it wandered a bit - yeti is 73

Oct. 23, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

So the new geo has the reach at 440 M, 460L? Way up from last year's model. So longer wheelbase for sure, but I agree with Norton and don't feel like that makes it a bad technical climber necessarily.

I think the key is BB height, which looks to be 338 in the LO setting, which for a bike with this much travel is still relatively tall compared to some of the bikes on the market now.

My Reign BB height is 332 with and has 20mm more travel. It sucks on technical climbs, you're hammering up a boulder field and find yourself suddenly standing on your pedal on solid ground. But the length has greatly improved my climbing everywhere else I've found, I can get way more forward and stretched out, comfortably putting more power down and for much longer.

My input on your sizing question: I rode back to back laps at Whistler on large and medium Reigns to get a feel for different wheelbases. Longer wheelbase is definitely faster and more planted. I can see why all the EWS guys are on sized up bikes.

I also figured out that a medium with an 800mm Truvativ bar and a 50mm stem had the same reach as a large with a 35mm stem and a 780mm Atlas bar.

And about the pedal feedback, not sure if a 28t will cause problems on the Troy. Though it seems for a long time that's how the designs went- pedals fine in 36, but when you drop to granny bobs like crazy. Great design work there guys :/ But with the advent of the 1x11 it seems designers have finally figured it out. My 28t on my vpp rip off design pedals perfectly anyhow.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 23, 2016, 10:16 a.m.

Sorry, I was referring to descending.
There is definitely more to how a bike feels than the reach, but its very important.
Its the total package.
I suppose the geo can be tweaked with, offset shock bushings, longer fork, angleset.
The v2 nomad that I had, had terrible feedback in the granny (22)

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 23, 2016, 10:20 a.m.

The 2017 trance ad 1 looks very nice. I has a longer reach as well in 2017. 2 pounds lighter, 1k cheaper than the troy slx/xt. Just not sure its burly enough. The reign, sparton or any other full on enduro is to much for my needs which would include some xc type days.

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 23, 2016, 10:53 p.m.

edit: just checked, the dixon had a 71 degree SA. no wonder it wandered a bit -

Actual or effective?

Just not sure its burly enough.

It'll be fine.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 24, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

Troy XT/SLX and Trance Adv. 1 are the two bikes I'm looking at for an upgrade next fall when sale prices hit (hope there are some left in stock). Haven't ridden either yet but the value on the Giant is really hard to argue with.

Oct. 24, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

Troy XT/SLX and Trance Adv. 1 are the two bikes I'm looking at for an upgrade next fall when sale prices hit (hope there are some left in stock). Haven't ridden either yet but the value on the Giant is really hard to argue with.

I was looking at a 2016 adv 1 on clearance couple months back but it felt a little crampt. With the longer reach, the new one may work. Looks like it may go up better, and descend poorer than the troy. I found some other stuff about the pedal kickback on the troy, so just not sure with the smaller 28 tooth, as it increases with the smaller rings. It does sound like a near perfect bike though for my needs.

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 18, 2016, 9:10 a.m.

I was looking at a 2016 adv 1 on clearance couple months back but it felt a little crampt. With the longer reach, the new one may work. Looks like it may go up better, and descend poorer than the troy. I found some other stuff about the pedal kickback on the troy, so just not sure with the smaller 28 tooth, as it increases with the smaller rings. It does sound like a near perfect bike though for my needs.

what did you end up buying in the end? I re-tensioned the factory wheels around a month ago and been enjoying the bike alot more with the stiffer wheels..whole new beast on the way up and down; that mushy kinda boring feeling I noted about the bike is a non-issue any more.

Nov. 18, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

what did you end up buying in the end? I re-tensioned the factory wheels around a month ago and been enjoying the bike alot more with the stiffer wheels..whole new beast on the way up and down; that mushy kinda boring feeling I noted about the bike is a non-issue any more.

I've not bought a new bike for many years, and probably didn't really need one for most of the riding I do, my spitfire rocks but…partly based on your detailed "review" I put a deposit down a few weeks ago on a 2017 carbon slx/xt troy with some changes. The geo between the spity and the troy is similar with the troy having a little longer reach.

All we are waiting for is a stem at this point for the build. The lbs has offered a loaner stem, but I am in no hurry with the weather we are having and work is busy too. Should be a couple more weeks. Build changes are 150mm reverb, 160mm dual position pike, shorter 40mm stem, xt cassette, 28 tooth ring.

I am more of a coaster at high speed, as I usually have my dog with me so I think the 28 will work, but do have a concern with the high pivot point on this single pivot bike. The anti squat with the 28 tooth ring should give a better pedaling bike than the 30 tooth, but my concern as mentioned in previous post is the pedal feedback which increases with the added anti squat. I could go 30-45 instead of 28-42 but that would add cost and weight. I guess ill find out in a couple of weeks.

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 18, 2016, 6:19 p.m.

I think the key is BB height, which looks to be 338 in the LO setting, which for a bike with this much travel is still relatively tall compared to some of the bikes on the market now.

My Reign BB height is 332 with and has 20mm more travel.

That seems really low. I went onto the Giant site and looked at the 2016,2017 reigns and trances ad, and they don't list a bb height or drop. Weird considering how critical this measurement is.

The troy has 30+ percent sag so should be good. If you believe the reviews the bike rides on rails through corners.

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 19, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

I've not bought a new bike for many years, and probably didn't really need one for most of the riding I do, my spitfire rocks but…partly based on your detailed "review" I put a deposit down a few weeks ago on a 2017 carbon slx/xt troy with some changes. The geo between the spity and the troy is similar with the troy having a little longer reach.

All we are waiting for is a stem at this point for the build. The lbs has offered a loaner stem, but I am in no hurry with the weather we are having and work is busy too. Should be a couple more weeks. Build changes are 150mm reverb, 160mm dual position pike, shorter 40mm stem, xt cassette, 28 tooth ring.

I am more of a coaster at high speed, as I usually have my dog with me so I think the 28 will work, but do have a concern with the high pivot point on this single pivot bike. The anti squat with the 28 tooth ring should give a better pedaling bike than the 30 tooth, but my concern as mentioned in previous post is the pedal feedback which increases with the added anti squat. I could go 30-45 instead of 28-42 but that would add cost and weight. I guess ill find out in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like a great build!

Nov. 19, 2016, 6:53 p.m.

Well I measured A Troy ('17 mod. yr) the other day at Dunbar and it was 334, with Minions.

they don't list a bb height or drop. Weird considering how critical this measurement is.

The Intense web site lists Spider as having a 338 height w/130mm fork. Which is what the one at MEC measured out as, but the tag on bike said the fork was 140mm.
Go figure.

You gotta', obviously, extrapolate from "drop" 'cause height varies w/tyre diameter.
But given my experience above and w/my Transition, I'm starting to think all manufacturer listed bb heights are "hopeful".

The anti squat with the 28 tooth ring should give a better pedaling bike than the 30 tooth, but my concern as mentioned in previous post is the pedal feedback which increases with the added anti squat. I could go 30-45 instead of 28-42 but that would add cost and weight. I guess ill find out in a couple of weeks.

The price of a Troy in Cdn. $ has got me very interested, given what other carbon offerings are costing, and usually in USD!
I'm thinkin' if I marry this with a 30 or 32 I should be able to grunt the steep stuff. Sure I will. :o

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.