Devinci Spartan

July 26, 2014, 10:35 a.m.

No cage no sale.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 26, 2014, 11 a.m.

No cage no sale.

yay i like the option of having a water-bottle and one that is in a useable position and not mounted on the bottom side of the downtube .

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 30, 2014, 2:38 p.m.

Just picked one up (RR), a few rides in so far and I am loving it. I have just had it out on my local trail, nothing big yet. My early impressions are that it is crazy fast on the down, super stable and the best handling bike I have ridden. The Bike is a bit on the heavy side, glad I went with the RR, it is basically the same weight as the bike it replaces. I dropped the front ring to a 30t, which I think is perfect if you have a lot of steep climbs to do.

I have a lot of water bars and rocks on the climbs , I have to be a lot more precise about my pedals , glad the cranks are not carbon, I am bashing the crap out of them.

The bike tracks so well on the climbs, I though the head angle might take some getting used to on the ups, but it handles so much better than my last bike.

Super well performing suspension , matched perfectly front to rear. The bike rails, I find that the downhill part of my ride flys by and I want another go. Definitely makes me want to climb more just to go down.

Not a fan so far of the tires, I need to switch them over to Tubeless and let some air out.

Can't wait to get it out on some longer rides.

July 30, 2014, 7:51 p.m.

Just picked one up (RR), a few rides in so far and I am loving it. I have just had it out on my local trail, nothing big yet. My early impressions are that it is crazy fast on the down, super stable and the best handling bike I have ridden. The Bike is a bit on the heavy side, glad I went with the RR, it is basically the same weight as the bike it replaces. I dropped the front ring to a 30t, which I think is perfect if you have a lot of steep climbs to do.

I have a lot of water bars and rocks on the climbs , I have to be a lot more precise about my pedals , glad the cranks are not carbon, I am bashing the crap out of them.

The bike tracks so well on the climbs, I though the head angle might take some getting used to on the ups, but it handles so much better than my last bike.

Super well performing suspension , matched perfectly front to rear. The bike rails, I find that the downhill part of my ride flys by and I want another go. Definitely makes me want to climb more just to go down.

Not a fan so far of the tires, I need to switch them over to Tubeless and let some air out.

Can't wait to get it out on some longer rides.

What's she weigh in at (roughly), if you don't mind

Sept. 14, 2015, 4:58 p.m.

The Spartan carbon frame seems like really good value right now at $2800. I would prefer to upgrade to a Nomad, but I'm taking a serious look at the Spartan since the exchange rate has pushed Nomad frames above $4000. The Spartan is a bit heavier though, in part due to the aluminum rear triangle, and it has a slightly lower bottom bracket and steeper head tube angle. It looks like it would really excel as an Enduro race bike, but how does it ride on slower, more technical terrain?

Sept. 14, 2015, 8:11 p.m.

The Spartan carbon frame seems like really good value right now at $2800. I would prefer to upgrade to a Nomad, but I'm taking a serious look at the Spartan since the exchange rate has pushed Nomad frames above $4000. The Spartan is a bit heavier though, in part due to the aluminum rear triangle, and it has a slightly lower bottom bracket and steeper head tube angle. It looks like it would really excel as an Enduro race bike, but how does it ride on slower, more technical terrain?

It rides better in high bb setting for trails around here. You'll clip your pedals a lot in low.
Rear triangle is part aluminum. Carbon seatstay and alloy chainstay. I think it's just heavier because of its burly construction compared to nomad

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

I've been on a carbon Spartan for a year now. Compared to most of the AM/Enduro bikes available, the reach is relatively shorter and seat angle is a little slacker. Consequently, it has a comparatively shorter wheelbase and so I find that it works great on slower, tighter, trails (Upper Oilcan comes to mind).

I also use the steeper geo setting most of the time but keep the rear shock sag at a minimum of 30%. The Monarch Debonaire Plus climb switch is very effective and will keep you in a good position for climbing.

You could probably purchase the Spartan Carbon frame, Pike RCT3, and Reverb Stealth for less than the Nomad frame alone, so it's definitely worth considering.