Devinci Guzzler/Magma vs. SC Heckler

Oct. 3, 2007, 11:10 a.m.

Okay, I have a Small '04 Santa Cruz Heckler.

I am looking to replace it with a Devinci '05 Magma.

The parts are going to be swapped for the most part from one frame to the other.

My question is has anyone had any saddle time on one or better yet both bikes. I have ridden the Heckler for a couple years now and love it but I am looking for a change and possibly an increase in performance. Is one better than the other??

I possibly plan on putting a better shock on the Devinci (DHX 3 or 5)

One concern is tire clearance on the Devinci……..spec says it fits a 2.35, but I almost exclusively run 2.5 tires. It is really that tight of a rear end?

If anyone has comments on the Devinci, please pipe up and let me know the goods.

Later.

Here are pics of my Heckler (L'Orange) and the Devinci Guzzler……..remember parts will be swapped from the Heckler to the Guzzler.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Oct. 3, 2007, 12:14 p.m.

i rode the heckler for years, and it's a wicked little bike.

i've not actually ridden the Devinci's, but if your name is not Wayne, and you believe in brake squat, you will almost certainly find the horst link of the Devincis a lot more supple when you're on the brakes. the Heckler kind of sucks on steep rooty gnarly trails, but only because the rear suspension stiffens right up soon as you touch the rear brake. ive never ridden a real horst that feels like that.

also, the Heckler has a falling-rate leverage ratio meaning it sucks at big hits … the Devinci may also handle those better

wwwkayaker on here had one … hell probably chime in later … im not much help really

Oct. 3, 2007, 1:07 p.m.

Hahahaha Giggler… yea it stiffens up but who cares? :P I rode a Heckler down GMG, Wild Cherry, 5th Horseman, didn't seem to affect me much. How do you explain people who can ride hardtails down gnarly shit? If you think it matters, I have some land in Nigeria to sell you.

You won't be disappointed with the Devinci. Its on par with the Heckler for reliability and it performs as good if not better.

Oct. 3, 2007, 1:25 p.m.

One concern is tire clearance on the Devinci……..spec says it fits a 2.35, but I almost exclusively run 2.5 tires. It is really that tight of a rear end?

Either bike should be fine. If you're looking for a change I doubt you'd be let down by the Devinci. You can run 2.35s at the Woodlot without a problem and I've never felt as though the skinnier tires were a liability while riding my little bike, and I ride that thing pretty hard.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Oct. 3, 2007, 2:11 p.m.

Hahahaha Giggler… yea it stiffens up but who cares? :P I rode a Heckler down GMG, Wild Cherry, 5th Horseman, didn't seem to affect me much. How do you explain people who can ride hardtails down gnarly shit? If you think it matters, I have some land in Nigeria to sell you.

You won't be disappointed with the Devinci. Its on par with the Heckler for reliability and it performs as good if not better.

yeah kids can ride hardtails down any trail, but for adults with money, we want the plushest bike we can buy. least i do. if i want to feel the trail ill ride my hardtail.

so yeah, if money is not a problem i would take something more plush over a heckler … a heckler is not a super plush bike on the shore.

take the Hecker over to the Sunshine coast though and it is wickedly fun…. IMO it's better suited to smoother trails than we have, but that doesn't mean it can't take anything on the shore, as Wayne has proven … and his old bike continues to kick after years.

Oct. 3, 2007, 2:26 p.m.

I'd be pissed off if I dropped good coin on a full suspension bike that acted like a hardtail when I needed it to be squishy.

Oct. 3, 2007, 3:40 p.m.

yeah kids can ride hardtails down any trail, but for adults with money, we want the plushest bike we can buy. least i do. if i want to feel the trail ill ride my hardtail.

so yeah, if money is not a problem i would take something more plush over a heckler … a heckler is not a super plush bike on the shore.

take the Hecker over to the Sunshine coast though and it is wickedly fun…. IMO it's better suited to smoother trails than we have, but that doesn't mean it can't take anything on the shore, as Wayne has proven … and his old bike continues to kick after years.

Yup, the Heckler isn't very plush under the best of cicumstances. Totally true.

Oct. 3, 2007, 4:41 p.m.

my chromag kills hecklers
;)

Oct. 3, 2007, 5:21 p.m.

i wouldn't replace your current bike with that specific bike. more options out there for cheap.

Oct. 3, 2007, 6:49 p.m.

i wouldn't replace your current bike with that specific bike. more options out there for cheap.

But not many are rolling on needle bearings. Those last for a long time.

Oct. 3, 2007, 9:47 p.m.

I've ridden (and still have) a Magma. Used it for most of my riding. On the bike parks it's wasn't nearly as fun as a big bike but for tech riding it was great. My new ride is the Nomad with the 1.5HT and a Totem (which, after swaping it out to a solo-air, has been awesome). That combo seems to be good at the bike parks and on tech rides (best compromise bike I've ever ridden). Back to the Magma - so I can say I think the bike is great. Haven't ridden a Heckler though so no comments on if it'll be an improvement or not.

Where are you picking up a Guzzler frame? Devinci doesn't make the bike anymore. I could sell you mine - it's a med. Magma :-)

Oct. 3, 2007, 10:20 p.m.

Hey thedude, as you know that's my Guzzler. I'm not interesting is selling you something you won't be happy with, so here's my honest feedback:

1. the ride - as the others have said, I think you'll find the Guzzler more supple, there's no brake squat/stiffening at all. In many ways I found the Guzzler with Vanilla R to be more supple than my Bullit with DHX5 despite the travel advantage for the Bullit. I haven't owned a Heckler, but I believe the feel is similar to the Bullit.

2. tire clearance - a 2.5 should fit fine, even with a wide rim. The OEM 2.35 Weirwolf/Mavic 321 combo that's on there now doesn't come remotely close to rubbing, even at full travel. Bring your wheel/tire of choice, and we'll test it out to be sure.

3. shock - I'm 99% sure the DHX will NOT fit. The frame is too small, the reservoir will get in the way as the shock compresses. The old Vanilla RC might fit, it had a much smaller reservoir, and the newer air shocks should probably fit too (RP23 or Rocco Air, etc).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jason

Oct. 3, 2007, 10:25 p.m.

I think you will find the devinchi a more supple ride, but there is something about the heckler that you will miss everytime u get on the devinchi.

Its like the lancer vs impreza. The lancer is faster and corners better than the subaru. But if given a choice, id still pick the subaru.

In this case Id still pick the heckler.

Oct. 5, 2007, 3:06 a.m.

Guzzler is a wicked little rig, you'll have some serious fun on that frame

I'm 99% sure the DHX will NOT fit. The frame is too small, the reservoir will get in the way as the shock compresses. The old Vanilla RC might fit, it had a much smaller reservoir, and the newer air shocks should probably fit too (RP23 or Rocco Air, etc).

have your Fox service centre chop off the DHX's remote resevoir, tap a thread in the shock head and resevoir neck, install a metal braided hose between the two, refill the shock and mount the resevoir somewhere on the frame

I've seen this done on older bikes here in England by Mojo (Fox UK) they don't charge much as its a simple job

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Oct. 5, 2007, 7:13 a.m.

But not many are rolling on needle bearings. Those last for a long time.

like changing bearing is such a hard duty.
I was talking more about chainstay/seatstay. and other great deals of 05/06 new.