Death of the front derailleur?

Aug. 22, 2009, 9:44 a.m.

36 tooth ring x 32 in the back? wow thats big gearing for long steep climbs!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Aug. 22, 2009, 9:54 a.m.

36 tooth ring x 32 in the back? wow thats big gearing for long steep climbs!

I had that when I first go there, just switched to a 32 in front. It helps but I still
push quite a bit up Harbourview.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 22, 2009, 10:35 p.m.

We're not talkin' about YoU being able to handle the space between the gears. It's the drivetrain itself that would have a problem with that. The chain trying to climb up a jump like that would be a bit rough. That's why they started sticking more gears into the same ranges in the first place, it makes it smoother for the chain to climb up.

www.northshorebillet.com

Aug. 22, 2009, 10:49 p.m.

We're not talkin' about YoU being able to handle the space between the gears. It's the drivetrain itself that would have a problem with that. The chain trying to climb up a jump like that would be a bit rough. That's why they started sticking more gears into the same ranges in the first place, it makes it smoother for the chain to climb up.

this.

go hop on a 21 spd comfort bike with the 34t shimano mega-range freewheel and you'll see a rough, noisy shift.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 22, 2009, 11 p.m.

One I don't shift on the way up, I don't XC, I only ride up for the down. I only
have a AM bike for the trails where the down isn't too bad or the climb is too tough
(even then I pick the bike that suits the down, not the up). I get absolutely no
pleasure in the climb. It's like crocs, I just don't get it.

The other thing is, then why is it such a big jump on the front ring? Should I not
shift the front on my AM bike?

Aug. 22, 2009, 11:29 p.m.

I don't XC, I only ride up for the down. I only have a AM bike for the trails where the down isn't too bad or the climb is too tough (even then I pick the bike that suits the down, not the up). I get absolutely no pleasure in the climb.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 23, 2009, 7:48 a.m.

^No, lazy maybe, but I look at road bikers and XC bikers and think "there are
so many other fun things I could do with my time, than grunt up a hill just to
hump up another hill to find I'm on the wrong bike when I start going downhill.
:dizzy:

Aug. 23, 2009, 8:29 a.m.

wuss… that's called an "adventure"

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 23, 2009, 8:46 a.m.

wuss… that's called an "adventure"

Ah, now I do separate a epic (going somewhere to look at something with camping
and campfires and shit) from just going out for an afternoon XC loop just so you
can finally get over that log or rock or up that hill clean etc. Epic sounds fun although
demanding, the later just sounds boring and hard.

I got to look into a fishing rod holder for my bike.

Aug. 23, 2009, 9:20 a.m.

Ah, now I do separate a epic (going somewhere to look at something with camping
and campfires and shit) from just going out for an afternoon XC loop just so you
can finally get over that log or rock or up that hill clean etc. Epic sounds fun although
demanding, the later just sounds boring and hard.

I got to look into a fishing rod holder for my bike.

just get a 4 piece 9' fly rod (nice and short) and strap it to your pack. that's what I do. sorry for the derail.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Aug. 23, 2009, 9:24 a.m.

I guess I will never understand the AM thing. I have an XC bike and a DH bike. I love riding both.
The XC is the up about getting to the DH
The DH is the down coming off an XC climb.

I just learn to ride differently and adjust.
People want too many quick fix answers these days.

Isn't all riding essentially XC anyway? It all started with that didn't it?
Hell, on the DH I even pedal going down!:dizzy:

Aug. 23, 2009, 9:28 a.m.

Isn't all riding essentially XC anyway? It all started with that didn't it?
Hell, on the DH I even pedal going down!:dizzy:

Started with pushing big heavy bikes to the top and then bombing down. It was only when the roadies got involved that it started being about pedalling UP things.

Aug. 23, 2009, 9:29 a.m.

It is not just about going up hill after hill. It really is about turning your pedals and exploring. Adventure is the word. Leave your house with your bike and your pack and head into the hills for 3-4 hours. Go at any pace you like and look around. All those gears we have, makes the pedaling quite easy.

Aug. 23, 2009, 9:35 a.m.

I love the idea of hammerschmidt but it will be a few years till that will ever go on my bike (my rune would pedal like shit with it anyway). When I got my bike I put a 26-36 on the front with a 11-34 on the back and the 36 was just too much ring for me on the island trails, so I went back to a 32…I may try a 34 so its a bit more of a gap in the front but for now it is feeling really good. I rarely get in my granny anymore though…but it's nice to have when you need it.

Aug. 23, 2009, 9:36 a.m.

It is not just about going up hill after hill. It really is about turning your pedals and exploring. Adventure is the word. Leave your house with your bike and your pack and head into the hills for 3-4 hours. Go at any pace you like and look around. All those gears we have, makes the pedaling quite easy.

This is mountain biking to me…gears r gud.