Dear Maxxis - Summer Wish

July 23, 2018, 3:09 p.m.

Dear Maxxis,

Please make the Minion SS in a 29x2.5 wide trail in Exo or DD.  That is all.

-Summer

July 23, 2018, 9:02 p.m.

Are you an Ass Guy?

July 26, 2018, 9:04 a.m.

Anyone know how the Minion SS compares to the Aggressor? Aggressor is a really good summer tire IMO and is available in 2.5 WT DD

July 26, 2018, 10:46 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Anyone know how the Minion SS compares to the Aggressor? Aggressor is a really good summer tire IMO and is available in 2.5 WT DD

I've used the Aggressor and Specialized Slaughter (similar to Minion SS) as rear tires. The Slaughter rolls faster and locks in better when leaned over, whereas the Aggressor edges less hard. 

I didn't love the Aggressor. It rolled medium-fast but was a bit drifty and clogged up more easily than I would have liked. Once you're going for a tire that rolls faster than a DHF/DHR, might as well go for a semi-slick.

July 26, 2018, 1:54 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

I didn't love the Aggressor. It rolled medium-fast but was a bit drifty and clogged up more easily than I would have liked. Once you're going for a tire that rolls faster than a DHF/DHR, might as well go for a semi-slick.

I got a riding bud who has gone from the aggressor to a semi slick on an enduro bike

I kind of like the way Agressor drifts out in turns

July 26, 2018, 5:18 p.m.

I rode the Aggressor for a bit , and switched to the HR2 WT. I found it to be a much better tire , especially when combined with a 2.5WT Shorty up front.

July 26, 2018, 6:58 p.m.

Running both last couple of years.

Aggressor corners really, really well. Mostly due to the just perfect profile I think. Tread is low but it's an excellent pattern and does a lot with what it has.

Minion SS honestly only grabs slightly better in corners. The difference in rolling resistance straightline from an Aggressor is noticeble. However, SS basically will not contribute to braking if the surface is slippery.

A DHR2, etc is not remotely relevant to these tires really. 

Spent the day today up at Cypress running DHR2 front and back. Really surprised how great it was as a front tire. All around really predictable, confidence inspiring tires. Finally an equal to DHF imo.

However, felt like pedalling in mud after being used to fast tires like Aggressor and semi-slick. First real hill I climbed I actually got off and looked at back to see what was wrong.

Last edited by: Hepcat on July 26, 2018, 7:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 29, 2018, 11:04 p.m.

Schwalbe used to make a tire very similar to what you wish for. Rock Razor Super Gravity in Soft compound and 29“.

After they switched to the new Addix compounds the 29“ version is only available in single ply and the not very soft Speedgrip compound. 27,5 is still available with the tough casing.

I really liked the soft version, but don’t really get on with the speedgrip. It rolls fantastic and is a great choice for a trailbike, but a let down on roots and slippery rocks. 

The softer compound worked really well for me, even in winter. After three seasons almost exclusively on semislicks I am amazed how much more confidence a proper DHRII gives in steep, dusty chutes though. 

Rolling resistance on paved roads is really bad, on the trail I don’t notice it as much.

July 30, 2018, 11:29 a.m.

I rode the Rock Razor in 29 speedgrip but I shredded the sidewall in about 5 rides.    I love the way that tire rode. I could only find that size in the snakeskin casing.  Way too thin for me.   Unfortunately they don’t seem to make the rock razor in a 29 in the supergravity casing.

July 30, 2018, 7:28 p.m.

I had some Rock Razor 29er tyre.  Le meh.

Aug. 6, 2018, 8:54 a.m.

its not a tumour

I had liked running a Minion SS, till it did this. the fun kind of sketchy is how I'd describe it (side-knobs biting just in time to save the day).  This tire was EXO casing though, not DD. Seems like you need to go DHF/R or Aggressor for DD.

Aug. 8, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

^^^ Ask Maxxis to warranty it. I had the same thing happen on a Magic Mary SuperGravity VertStar last year and they rush shipped me a new tire for free once I sent them pictures. Those knobs look new so it has to be a defect.

Aug. 8, 2018, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

^^^ Ask Maxxis to warranty it. I had the same thing happen on a Magic Mary SuperGravity VertStar last year and they rush shipped me a new tire for free once I sent them pictures. Those knobs look new so it has to be a defect.

Nice info!

No bulging problems with my well loved SS, though it's worn to bald down the middle and has about 1 side knob left.

Aug. 8, 2018, 5:11 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I had the same issue with a pair of Tumorous Tammy special edition Magic SG VS.  Once Schwalbe found out they were German purchases they didn't ship a second one.

Aug. 9, 2018, 3:16 p.m.

I was on the road, new tire is on (new as in new to the rear, its an old 2.3 DHF), old tire is in a dumpster somewhere, so I do not know what luck I'll have without the culprit tire in hand.