Cycling specific waterproof gear, or the lack thereof

Dec. 4, 2006, 7:53 p.m.

Personally I hate wet feet

When I commute I use Taiga gortex overboots. They are relatively cheap $40??

When I am out on the trails I use gortex socks. They are the best. A little pricey $70-80 but worth every penny to me. Feet dry = warm feet

My .02 cents

Dec. 4, 2006, 9:17 p.m.

Gimme a break, dude. Not even Jaysin whores Oakley that much.

MEC makes some good stuff but you can spare us the catalog recital.

Has anyone found a decent windproof/waterproof/breathable winter glove solution? I've been using my Helly-Hansen snowboard mitts with some success.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Dec. 4, 2006, 10:01 p.m.

That said, has anyone found a decent windproof/waterproof/breathable winter glove solution? I've been using my Helly-Hansen snowboard mitts with some success.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/03-3450-80.html I've used these with good results

"The Attention Deficit Disorder Association's Book of Wild Animals of
Western Eur- Hey! Let's Go Ride Our Bikes!"

Check out my pipes at www.thomasjlipspipeworks.wordpress.com

Dec. 4, 2006, 10:14 p.m.

He mentioned a whopping seven items, and also mentioned several drawbacks to those items. Frankly, that's quality journalism compared to the industry knob-slobbery that passes for "Gear Shots" on the NSMB front page.

Wow. That's a little harsh - but I guess Pete went a little overboard as well. If you think Gear Shots is 'industry knob-slobbery' I'd like to have some examples. Particularly because I have no idea what 'industry knob-slobbery' means.

I assume you are aware that Gear Shots isn't meant to be a review - nor do we try to disguise it as such. It's what we say about items we have just received. Essentially the goal is to give you an idea of what the manufacturer is trying to accomplish, what we can notice out of the box - and that's about it. You can compare it to bike mag's Fresh Produce - virtually every print mag has a section like that. There is probably a name for it - something like 'product intro' but I'm just guessing.

If 'industry knob-slobbery' is a knock at our integrity I assure you we have no motivation to cover up problems or exagerate positives. We do our very best to tell it like it is. We're not perfect, nor are we saints, but we tell the truth as we see it.

Some print mags write reviews without riding bikes, sell the front page to the highest bidder, and often they will print marketing material as submitted and pass it off as a review. This disgusts me - and I was very surprised and disappointed to find out that it happens.

We don't do that.

Sincerely,
Industry Knob

Dec. 5, 2006, 12:50 a.m.

I was a little harsh - my apologies to gotham. Sorry, dude.

Dec. 5, 2006, 3:45 a.m.

For example, there is no shortage of brands of waterproof-breathable hiking boots…why isn't anyone making a waterproof-breathable cycling shoe? Why is our solution to wear sealskinz socks, so your feet will be warm when your shoes are totally soaked?

Plastic bags.

That's my cheap solution when it's really cold and wet :)
You can use them along with hiking boots in winter, or with low-profiled semi hiking shoes when it's not so cold. Even if shoe is totally soaked your feet will stay dry and warm.

I've seen some SPD compatible winter cycling shoes but not sure if they can last riding hard. But they're not good for riding flats I suppose.

G3Riders www.g3riders.org
www.facebook.com/G3Riders/

Dec. 5, 2006, 8:49 a.m.

I was a little harsh - my apologies to gotham. Sorry, dude.

No hard feelings, mail me an MEC gift certificate and we'll call it square?

In an effort to keep the thread on track, where would I find goretex socks?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Dec. 5, 2006, 8:58 a.m.

MEC perhaps? I haven't had much luck with any water proof socks but the Seal skin ones are pretty good. They have some good stretch and they have some warmth as well. The problem with any waterproof sock is that you are unlikely to get more than a single year of actual waterproofness out of them.

At least that's been my experience.

Dec. 5, 2006, 9:29 a.m.

MEC perhaps? I haven't had much luck with any water proof socks but the Seal skin ones are pretty good. They have some good stretch and they have some warmth as well. The problem with any waterproof sock is that you are unlikely to get more than a single year of actual waterproofness out of them.

At least that's been my experience.

that's where duct tape come in, or its cheaper and perhaps more relevant duck tape…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 5, 2006, 9:43 a.m.

Whatever is there left for you to buy? ;)

If it were me, I'd focus on keeping the shoes dry first - if they're waterlogged, you're carrying a lot of extra weight. If it's not that wet, you probably can't beat wool socks and they still insulate when wet.

Dec. 5, 2006, 12:34 p.m.

Here's some good stuff I scored that really works well:

MEC Hydrofoil jacket. It's light and more breathable than a full-on raincoat. It's got longish arms and is cut relatively slim by MEC standards. For $100 it's much better value than, say, a 3-ply goretex jacket. At $100 you also don't feel too foolish bringing it out on a ride where it will inevitably get dirty and battered.

Roadies. Check out La Bicicletta on Broadway, they have tons of good winter cycling gloves. Also, ice climbing gloves work well since they are also designed to offer maximum dexterity and warmth during high-output activities. There are lots of good glove options for around $50.

Yeah the shoe issue still eludes me. But overall I've never really had a problem with my feet. A killer set of hiking-weight socks usually does me fine in the winter.

My regular riding shorts are water-resistant at the best of times so I don't worry about it too much. I don't know if you will win with waterproof shorts cuz you'll end up getting soaked from the inside.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:28 p.m.

My kit.
Mil Surplus Gore Tex Pants

I didn't know there was such a thing. Probably a good score eh? Gore pants are awesome, especially with big side zips. You still the cold spray on the ass but you're dry under the Gore. And, personally, my legs don't sweat nearly as much as my upper body so slightly limited breathability is OK.

Anyone tried the SealSkinz gloves with the silicon dotted palm?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 5, 2006, 2:14 p.m.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Probably a good score eh? Gore pants are awesome, especially with big side zips. You still the cold spray on the ass but you're dry under the Gore. And, personally, my legs don't sweat nearly as much as my upper body so slightly limited breathability is OK.

Anyone tried the SealSkinz gloves with the silicon dotted palm?

My source.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECWCS-Woodland-Camo-Gore-tex-Trousers-Goretex-Pants-M-R_W0QQitemZ290053395084QQihZ019QQcategoryZ104023QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 5, 2006, 3:15 p.m.

Could you snowboard in those pants? Would you need to wear anything underneath??

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Dec. 6, 2006, 12:40 p.m.

I got a pair of the Shimano winter spd shoes. Good grippy sole, neoprene cuff and two velcro closures. Goretex membrane in there somewhere too. Warm and dry. Stood in a puddle up the top of the shoe the other day. Nothing got in. But I did a longer ride and got caught in pouring rain. Wet socks sucked water down into the shoe and would provide a filtered conduit too. Wasn't cold, just really wet so the shoes aren't perfect. If I'd had waterproof pants shingled over the shoe top I'd a been dry.

MEC (there's that outlet again) has a cheap, $80, winter shoe. No mesh and what looks like a coated leather or leather like upper. Get them a bit big for a heavier sock and your good to go.

For flats I'd get a light hiker type shoe.

There are ton's of cycling jackets for wet cycling but few which will go over pads unless you get one too large and then they tend to hang too low.

I wear moto shorts over tights when it's wet. The waterproof shorts keep your butt dryish and are warmer. Pads keep the knees warm.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.