Crossmax / Tubless Rim Queston

Dec. 17, 2010, 7:57 p.m.

So, last night while putting together my latest build, it came time to mount my tires up to my new Crossmax wheelset. I am running Conti Trail Kings in the single ply 2.2 size. Everything goes fine until trying to mount the last four inches or so, I farted around for about ten to fifteen minutes and gave up. Tried all the tricks that I know of, soapy water, keeping the bead centred in the rim , etc. I am familiar with fighting certain combos, mostly dual plys though. Ended up getting some Specialized tires to mount up but It was almost as tight. Ended up using silicone spray and lots of patience.

So here is the question, are these wheels tough with most tires? Do tubeless tires mount any easier? I would think not, but have never tried. When I get my first pinch flat I am f*cked. Any advise welcome.

Dec. 17, 2010, 8:02 p.m.

Make sure the beads are in the middle of the rim (as much as possible) when you start. Use levers (plastic or metal with plastic coated) if you can't do it by hand. Should be easy. If not have someone show you how to do it.

Dec. 17, 2010, 8:55 p.m.

So here is the question, are these wheels tough with most tires? Do tubeless tires mount any easier?

Yes, they are difficult with most tires.
UST tires wont be any easier to actually get onto the rim, but getting the bead to pop into place shouldn't be as hard as what you are describing.

I dont think Cableguy is aware of just how difficult it can be to mount some tires. 90% of the time its easy. The other 10% can be a total bitch no matter how experienced you are with tubeless. I have mounted hundreds of tubeless set ups over the years. It aint always easy.

thinkin bout bikes

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:19 p.m.

Just to be clear, I am using tubes right now but of course these are tubeless rims. I guess i was looking for peoples experience with Crossmax in particular. I am just worried when I have to change out a tube on the trail. Thanks for the replies so far

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:22 p.m.

Yes, they are difficult with most tires.
UST tires wont be any easier to actually get onto the rim, but getting the bead to pop into place shouldn't be as hard as what you are describing.

I dont think Cableguy is aware of just how difficult it can be to mount some tires. 90% of the time its easy. The other 10% can be a total bitch no matter how experienced you are with tubeless. I have mounted hundreds of tubeless set ups over the years. It aint always easy.

He was talking specificaly about Conti Trail Kings on Cmax rims. Not hard. Not some unknown combo.

Dec. 18, 2010, 1:20 a.m.

i run crossmax with a conti tking ust on the front. they are a little harder to put on. i run them tubeless but i double flatted once and just threw tubes in to get home. i usually can get the tire on without a lever so i dont damage the tube but i had to use a lever even after working the bead to the centre all the way around and double checking that. you could probably stretch the bead a bit with a metal lever before you put a tube in. good luck

Dec. 18, 2010, 2:45 p.m.

Ok, so hes using tubes on a tubless rim. And tubes on a Tubeless rim isnt an unknown combo either, but its an important detail. I recall trying to get my Deemax's inflated with tubes and it wasnt easy. Baby powder and pressure eventually did the trick.

The tube just wants to balloon out into its own shape, and that doesnt help the bead move its way up and over the UST "ridges" on the rim. Its a non-issue with non-tubelss rims :shhh: With tubless there is nothing restricting the bead from moving freely into place.

If the baby powder doesnt work, try drenching the wheel, entire tube, and inside of the tire with soapy water. And if that dont work, then try the same but with silicone spray. You shouldnt have to do that though :lol:

thinkin bout bikes

Dec. 19, 2010, 3:01 p.m.

I run tubeless, but I always inflate my tires for stretching and to seat the bead before hand with a tube. It helps out iron out any problems and makes life easier when I seat them tubeless.

I've only had problems seating UST specific Maxxis DH tires on the rims with a tube. I've never used any liquid aid or anything like that, just pump them to 20 ish, make sure they're not slipping and then fire on up until they make a loud bang as they seat in place. I generally go up to 70 psi before stopping and just leaving them so the tire can wriggle it's way into place over time.

Dec. 20, 2010, 6:10 a.m.

:DLast time I tried that method my basement was covered in stans and I couldn't hear anything for a week.

Dec. 20, 2010, 7:01 a.m.

I have older Crossmax tubeless rims on my Xc bike and have found a few tires that were hard to get on but nothing that required any more than a last push with a lever.

After mounting tubeless Conti 2.4 Rubber Queens onto my Stans tubeless rim I pumped up to 60psi. As I normally do I bounced the tire a couple times and Blamo! Smashed finger and a load in my pants!
Tire blew off the rim, I have never had this happen before and I am a little concerned about it happening on the trail of a drop! Great wet root traction from these tires!

Dec. 20, 2010, 3:41 p.m.

Tire blew off the rim, I have never had this happen before and I am a little concerned about it happening on the trail of a drop! Great wet root traction from these tires!

Once a tire blows off the rim, throw it away. The bead is stretched, and it'll happen again - and probably when you're in a fast corner, or like you said, catching air.

I've only had this happen on a front once (ate much dirt), but I've killed a couple rear tires this way at Whistler.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Dec. 21, 2010, 12:12 p.m.

I know they say not to use metal levers on UST rims but thats BS, the little scratches don't matter

reseating a really tight bead like that is pretty much impossible on the trail unless you're carrying a seriously kickass pump or maybe CO2 cartridges, but it doesn't need to be perfect to ride out. Slightly wobbly works and you only notice it on pavement. And sometimes it reseats just from riding.

that seems crazy that tires are blowing at only 60-70psi

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 22, 2010, 9:54 a.m.

Here's the completed build, basically a Enduro Comp with a smattering of high end goodies. Carbon bar and cranks, XO drivetrain, and the aforementioned Crossmax wheels. She rips. Can't post pics for some reason

Dec. 22, 2010, 10:12 a.m.

Dec. 22, 2010, 10:20 a.m.

Once a tire blows off the rim, throw it away. The bead is stretched, and it'll happen again - and probably when you're in a fast corner, or like you said, catching air.

I've only had this happen on a front once (ate much dirt), but I've killed a couple rear tires this way at Whistler.

The Stan's rims I think may be less tight and of course it is more of a loose beaded tire issue. I have blown a Schwalbe Kevlar Racing Ralph off because I over inflated it to get it to seat. I don't think it's that big a deal though and I am still using those tires no problem because riding pressure for me is closer to 20 -25 psi. It was around 60 when it blew off.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.