creak

Sept. 29, 2018, 7:02 p.m.

^^^ Yeah it's worth buying a tube if you have a carbon frame or parts... I think I paid $5 or $10 for a tube of Fenwicks and it will last a lifetime as a home mechanic.

April 23, 2019, 1:12 p.m.

The creak/tic came back! oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooos............

So, carbon paste in s/t, clean and dab 'o grease on bb spindle/crank arm, grease seat clamp bolts but carbon paste on rails?

Only right crank at 1 - 2 'o clock when pedaling not when stand and bounce - maybe seat....errrrrrrr....do Reverbs ever flex creak?

Last edited by: tungsten on April 23, 2019, 2:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 23, 2019, 3:45 p.m.

I'm trying to track down a similar creak that I only hear when pushing down on the right crank.  No luck so far checking all the usual suspects.  The hunt continues....

April 23, 2019, 7:05 p.m.

Cinch cranks?

April 23, 2019, 9 p.m.

Umm...drive side comes of w/big allen key, so, yeah?

Will check again tomorrow am - but last year it didn't creak when standing and tightening seat clamp seemed to dampen the noise but I already gotta' lotta' pressure on the seat clamp.

Last edited by: tungsten on April 23, 2019, 9:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 24, 2019, 4:22 a.m.

Sometimes over the few years that I’ve been running turbines,the bolt that holds the chain ring on becomes ever so loose. So I pull it apart clean,grease and reinstall. Not saying that’s your problem but could be and is easy to deal with.

April 24, 2019, 11:03 a.m.

creaking noise sometimes while pedaling, another shop had already not fixed it , I worked on it changed some parts didn't fix it, one of the other guys also didnt fix it

the next guy who touched it found a VERY slightly loose rear  QR lever that allowed the  back wheel to move in the drop-outs which made the click 

could be anything but sometimes its ^^ actualy pretty simple ... good luck !

April 24, 2019, 9:43 p.m.

So, I figured it out.

Saddle wiggled around a lot were rails enter seat so I changed it but it weren't that.

Pulled chainstay/frame pivot all apart again and packed the living bejesus out of it with Phil Grease.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/PDF/2015BikeModelsExplodedView_Scout.pdf

Weren't that either.

Went to pull the cranks to check the bb cups and discovered drive side crank was a loose 1/8 turn from torque. D'oh!

Pulled it/cleaned it/greased it/cranked it down now everthing copacetic.

Went for a nice, serene, quiet, ride..........

Last edited by: tungsten on April 24, 2019, 9:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2019, 9:39 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I'm trying to track down a similar creak that I only hear when pushing down on the right crank.  No luck so far checking all the usual suspects.  The hunt continues....

Sorted out mine this weekend after taking the back end apart and greasing everything.  Found that the bearings in the main pivot were rusted, which was probably the main culprit.  Will be replacing those ASAP.  

So nice to have a silent bike again!

May 27, 2019, 9:41 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

So nice to have a silent bike again!

meh, i threw a bag of ball bearings down the head tube because my e13 hub wasn't loud enough.

May 27, 2019, 9:41 p.m.

Apart from WW3, a creaking bike is the worst.

I've got a new DH bike and the fucker started creaking ONLY when all the tires left the air (A-Line). I think I've narrowed it down the the fucking rear derailleur, but I'm still not sure.

Not gonna lie, pretty pleased this is what is keeping me up at night.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on May 27, 2019, 9:53 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 3, 2019, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I've got a new DH bike and the fucker started creaking ONLY when all the tires left the air (A-Line). I think I've narrowed it down the the fucking rear derailleur, but I'm still not sure.

Whatcha riding this summer??

June 3, 2019, 5:13 p.m.

Don’t count out a loose derailleur hanger, especially for creaks under pedalling load. After greasing eight pivots, pedals and bottom bracket - sure enough, hanger was loose. 

In my defence (umhhh...), the hanger bolts are not externally accessible and sit on the inside of the chain stay so did not get the once over treatment.

June 3, 2019, 6:50 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: ReductiMat

Whatcha riding this summer??

Got a newer Tues, but XL this time.  Was a little worried, but can confirm, big bikes are the best.

I've narrowed it down to not-the-rear-derailleur, and if I keep the chain off the two smallest cogs, I don't hear the creak.  I can now make it creak on the ground too.  If I bring up the front tire so the tires are perpendicular to the ground, grab the rear break and pull the handlebars down the ground along the path of the tires, it creaks.

Need some shitty weather so that I won't feel guilty not going out to ride and rip apart the bike.

June 3, 2019, 6:50 p.m.

Posted by: StefB

Don’t count out a loose derailleur hanger, especially for creaks under pedalling load. After greasing eight pivots, pedals and bottom bracket - sure enough, hanger was loose. 

In my defence (umhhh...), the hanger bolts are not externally accessible and sit on the inside of the chain stay so did not get the once over treatment.

Hmmm, that is actually one thing I never thought of looking into... thanks.