CRC - Wheel Build Quality?

April 3, 2012, 12:02 p.m.

… Might sell or trade for a 29er build tho.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 24, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

What was the average wait time for CRC wheels?
What kind of duty (if any) did you pay?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 24, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

you might be surprised how competitive some of the LBS are with CRC pricing on custom wheel builds….

I wish this were true, last I checked, approximate msrp in Canada on a Hope pro2 150x12 rear hub was around $350 (2010). CRC quotes the build (with same hub and 729) for $315.When I worked in a shop, it would be about the same price to order a DH wheelset off of CRC than it would be for me to buy it at an employee rate, then I would have to spend my time to build it.

This of course doesn't include any possible duties associated with shipping, but sometimes chainreaction blows the competition out of the water.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Sept. 24, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

Just place an order from CRC for parts my local LBS could not get. Building a high quality non-tankish 24" wheelset for my daughter's new bike. Ordered rims, hubs, and spokes (they measured for me) - ordered, shipped, arrived to my door in under 2 weeks. Free shipping over $100 (don't know how they do that for overseas shipping).

No duty on bike parts. Payed Canada Post a $10 handling fee, no tax either - but that's hit and miss, as I've been charged prov sales tax upon pickup in the past (I really don't get the rhyme or reason for when you get charged sales tax, but I always expect to pay it).

I deliberately did not get them built, as wheelsets are a dutiable item - I believe 10%, but look up on the Canadian Customs website, it's pretty clear. Rims, spokes, hubs are just parts when not assembled. HOwever, if you have to take them to an LBS and pay $25 or more per wheel for the build, then the duty would be less expensive as CRC builds for free with a full wheelset order.

I like to build wheels. It's not rocket science, it's basic mechanics. Lots of good books and youtube vid's to learn from. And you'll learn something in the process and subsequently know how to true/dish/remove flatspots in the future as you hammer the crap out of them. Give 'er!

Sept. 24, 2012, 3:06 p.m.

Flow on a Hope 2 hub-rear.Survived my large hackinish on my Nomad for 2 years now:D

Got mine from Wiggle (same idea as CRC). The wheel was actually built by Hope - a "hope hoop". arrived quick, rock solid.

Sept. 24, 2012, 4:41 p.m.

you can't remove flat spots if the rim material is physically deformed unless you "un-deform" it by smashing it with a hammer/wood/giant dildo. you can re-tension the affected spokes to maintain strength but otherwise you're looking at a new rim.

Check my stuff for sale!

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:07 p.m.

you can't remove flat spots if the rim material is physically deformed unless you "un-deform" it by smashing it with a hammer/wood/giant dildo. you can re-tension the affected spokes to maintain strength but otherwise you're looking at a new rim.

Bashing wheels with a giant dildo ftw.

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:40 p.m.

CRC prices are ridiculously cheap and tax free. Shipping is free if you drop $100. Never ordered complete wheels but delivery time for everything else is 7 days, and if you are charged duty just fill out the back of the duty slip and send it customs for a refund, simple and works everytime.

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:40 p.m.

Must add wifes massive dildo to wheel fixin tools:idea:

Sept. 24, 2012, 6:57 p.m.

I deliberately did not get them built, as wheelsets are a dutiable item - I believe 10%, but look up on the Canadian Customs website, it's pretty clear. Rims, spokes, hubs are just parts when not assembled. HOwever, if you have to take them to an LBS and pay $25 or more per wheel for the build, then the duty would be less expensive as CRC builds for free with a full wheelset order.

I think I've ordered about 5 wheelsets from CRC and have never been dinged for the duties. While it is clear as to what the duties are, it is never clear what CRC sends….get a pair of socks from them it will be labeled "bike parts". Even if I did get dinged i would just apply for a rebate and it would likely go through.

I must say, I wish i was able to just order the parts and build my own….maybe next time I will. Cheers.

Sept. 25, 2012, 12:21 p.m.

Full wheel set here as well. No duties/taxes or fees, Ordered on SUnday, had them on Thursday, free shipping.

Eric

Sept. 25, 2012, 5:21 p.m.

less than a week, no duties. no gst.

I have been charged duties only once out of over 10 separate orders.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Sept. 26, 2012, midnight

I received an order last week and was charged duty. Damn you Harper…damn you to hell!!!

There are a lot of wheel sites out there. WheelBuilder, WheelWorld, BikeHubStore, BicycleWheelWarehouse, etc. There are some pretty good deals on pre-built wheels, or on wheel parts that you order and build your own wheels.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2012, 8:03 a.m.

I received an order last week and was charged duty. Damn you Harper…damn you to hell!!!

There are a lot of wheel sites out there. WheelBuilder, WheelWorld, BikeHubStore, BicycleWheelWarehouse, etc. There are some pretty good deals on pre-built wheels, or on wheel parts that you order and build your own wheels.

apply for a refund.